PDA

View Full Version : Engine Performance Loss

wildcat
05-11-2001, 12:09 PM
Need opinions from experienced ppl out there. Went out playing Tuesday night, and my precious, old, Merc was not performing up to par.
Symptoms: First, from midrange (2K-3K) if I breifly backed off the throttle then went WOT, it would hesitate for a second before increasing in RPMs. Second, only could get about 6K on the tach, normally I see around 6,600 with my 24" chopper.

My first guess is fuel feed (sucking air?), but would like other ideas before digging in to deep, incase I am way off base. I have not yet done a compression test. Should I? Might I have dropped a cyclinder?

Input appreciated.

Tim

AlaskaStreamin
05-11-2001, 12:24 PM
Can you give us the year and HP of the motor?? That'll definately help. Thanks

wildcat
05-11-2001, 01:35 PM
Yeah...sorta forgot that.....its an '81 Merc 150 (1500)

AlaskaStreamin
05-11-2001, 10:26 PM
Did you try hitting the choke at WOT? What do the plugs look like? Sounds like maybe a dead cylinder. You can clip a timing light on each plug wire and see if the light flashes. I had a bad Stator that acted like that once. Is the fuel from last year? If you suspect the fuel pump, have someone try squeezing the bulb at full throttle and see if your rpm's come back. I was hoping some of the more knowledgable folks would reply, but these are a few things to try. Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW, How did Thumper get "Amigo" status?? Is this the next level? :o

wildcat
05-11-2001, 10:52 PM
Pulled the plugs on the beast. All looked pretty normal, and all looked the same. Did a visual inspection, looking for obvious things, did find a broken wire coming out of the trigger plate. It appears to be the trigger for cyl #3. I dunno if it's the culprit or not, gonna fix it and see what happens.

I started to question the fuel, however the last couple times I was out she ran really well. Ran to the station and topped the tank off in the middle of playin' and that didn't seem to effect anything either way.

Maybe this is a sign that it's time for a new powerhead.....

As for the Amigo status, that's not MY doing.

You gonna make Firewater this year? With Virage in tow?

AlaskaStreamin
05-11-2001, 11:04 PM
Does Virus do the custom status changing?? Or can we do it ourselves??

Tow the Virage to Ill.? Uhhhhh....no. I think one way is far enough. Still brown nosing the boss to get time off to fly in. We'll see.

Good luck on your repair!!

wildcat
05-11-2001, 11:07 PM
Check out your status now......

AlaskaStreamin
05-11-2001, 11:17 PM
AHHHHHHHHHH Nice!! You must have a secret password or something.?!! Thanks!!!!!

popeyebob
05-11-2001, 11:57 PM
Hey wildcat.How do I get beyond the "junior member" status???
Only been fly'n "hot boats" for 20 years.
Just wonderin
Popeyebob.

Techno
05-12-2001, 01:27 AM
At 30 posts you get member. LOL.
At a hundred you get senior.
At 200 your a geezer.

AlaskaStreamin
05-12-2001, 10:29 AM
How come all your posts on this thread are 16 and mine are 48? They should change for each reply right???