PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank/line probs-vs- carb symptoms

B.Mac
05-11-2001, 08:52 AM
Hey speed gurus, still trying to isolate and interpret symptoms of fuel loss at 3500 RPM & up. Get up & out ok go for 5-10 seconds like a slingshot, then begin to lose cylinders, first two cylinders, then four, until I'm standing dead in the water sputtering at an idle. motor sometime immediatly recuperates after 5 seconds @ idle, sometimes not. Sometimes stalls & wont start at all, seems to help by enriching/choking to restart, sometimes wont respond at all? Can any one describe the primary symptoms of carb problems-vs-fuel supply/pump/tank probs? Would not carb probs be relatively consistant, leaving two dead cylinders or four dead cylinders consistantly, rather than full power at start up followed by cylinder loss seemingly two at a time. Trying to save cost of unneeded carb rebuild but realize the potential damage running w/o fuel/oil on two cylinders may cause. This is a follow up to my post of Fuel loss@ speed 5/10/01. Suggestions, insight please? Thanks guys .....B.Mac

Rickracer
05-11-2001, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't take that motor out again until you have some idea of what the problem is, you will surely fry it if you are lean on a few cylinders. I would start by checking everything, fuel pressure, fuel volume, filters, check valve in primer bulb, kink in hose, screen in tank, etc.

popeyebob
05-11-2001, 04:46 PM
I would borrow a portable tank from someone with a late model merc,and clip it on.This will isolate the tank/line you have.
I have also see ignition problem's cause the problem you describe.