PDA

View Full Version : New boat, got bitten by the aluminum bug...

Rampager
08-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Just figured I would show you guys my "new" hull. No more wooden boat for me after this season is done.
Hull is a 21.5' Eagle tunnel from Alberta, Canada. Its at the factory now for repairs from its former life as a race boat.
I also will attach some pics of it in action and its "sister" ship #333
If you're interested have a look at Eagle's site and forum. Seem like awesome performance #'s and the hull will last nearly forever(in pleasure form anyway!)

Enjoy

p.s. hull will be named Xerophobic (fear of dryness)

at100plus
08-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Is that one of those boats that runs the twisties in the mud puddles? What's it powered by and what's the top speed?

Rampager
08-24-2004, 12:57 PM
here's a few action shots...

Rampager
08-24-2004, 12:58 PM
To say I can't wait to get this rigged and running would be a huge understatement

Rampager
08-24-2004, 12:59 PM
I will stick with my 460/Berk package but rebuild looking for 550-600HP. I'm told that should net me 90's which is darn fast on a river!

Rampager
08-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Its a marathon jetboat, not a jetsprint if thats what you mean. By all means surf Eagles site for more info and several of these pics are from markthephotographer on their forum. I'd highly recommend his work. I'm in Toronto and there is no river scene at all out here that I know of. Didn;t stop me from taking the plunge tho, these boats look wild! It did have alot of damage but its at the factory now and they assure me its easily fixed. Gotta love boats made from melted down beer cans.

Rampager
08-24-2004, 01:04 PM
I was told the damage occured at over 100 mph with ~1100 hp.
wow thats hard to even imagine! I got a great deal on both the hull and the repairs. This pic is "live" from Alberta, they have started the repairs. I'm aiming for water next season tho...

Rampager
08-24-2004, 01:08 PM
If you 'glass lake boat guys wanna check out something different have a surf of:

www.eagleracing.ca

or even

www.nzjetboating.com

Im addicted to both sites. They have some wild recreational boating out west and in NZ. Huge departure from what I'm even used to.

Cheers

AnthonySS
08-24-2004, 01:14 PM
GREAT to see your enthusiasm JAMES...I am happy for you....

still think it would be neat to hang a 300PM off of it:D

Rampager
08-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Hey Anthony

Well maybe but do they make a jetpump lower for one? ;)
If not I'm thinking your gonna go through alot of skegs and props! :D

another(everyone loves pics....)

Rampager
08-24-2004, 01:33 PM
its a bit slow at work today hehehe :D

Fibertron
08-24-2004, 03:17 PM
man, that thing looks wild, cant wait to see it done

Rampager
08-25-2004, 07:32 AM
I got a few new pics this morning from someone who was wandering around Eagles shop, all I can say is wow the repair ability of these guys is outstanding. I'm in awe of how much better the hull looks

Rampager
08-25-2004, 07:34 AM
Sorry perhaps you need to see the before to appreciate it

Rampager
08-25-2004, 07:39 AM
Here's another...

Rampager
08-25-2004, 07:40 AM
And after (I am not even sure if they are finished with their magic)

race#115
08-25-2004, 10:09 AM
cool looking boat what size is it??i guess it will be a big change looking for rough water now:D

Rampager
08-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Yes I will have to figure out a way to trick the hull into thinking white caps are just the tips of wide rapids ;)
Im so stoked about this thing its going to be a long winter
:(

Its a 21.5' Eagle tunnel, specs are on their site but basically 6'3" wide and aprox 650 lbs. I got the bare hull and the saddle tanks(63 gal total) Boat also has the QT-100 skid plates on the bottom of the hull(visable on the sponsons) which is an option not surprisingly most raceboats have. Roll bar is also an option but it will not meet current race spec as they no longer allow aluminum bars

Cheers

Dragons Breath
08-28-2004, 09:13 AM
WOW...this is extreeeeem...Your braver than I

Glenn
08-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Looking good James! Think you might have it all together before Sean's opener in the Spring? How does it compare in weight to your current boat?

Glenn

Rampager
08-31-2004, 07:59 AM
Heya Glenn
Yes the repair went better and faster than I had thought.
I think I just sold an old inboard motor I had which will really help this project get moving $ wise.
I'm not too certain about timelines at this stage. Been toying around with the idea of making sure this boat will fit into a race class for marathon racing which means I will need to spend a little more time than I would for pure pleasure. I will have to fit a new roll cage as the current one does not comply.

I certainly hope it will be running for spring but to be really honest I am not sure where I will be living at that stage. I just may be out west causing havoc on the rivers and learning how to boat in tight quarters at 80+ mph :D

I'd love to have the boat here and painted by the end of the year so I can spend the new year rigging.
I'm told the hull weighs about 650 lbs which is likely lighter than my current boat. 550 Hp+ nets numbers in the 90's if its kept light and thats the key. I will need to focus on my pump tho as its largely stock. At the moment I am just thrilled to have such a serious boat.

If anyone wants I can send them a short clip of this hull in action but its a large file. Set up a free yahoo account, it will take it. Its a brief shot from a race out west where after a nice corner the motor quits and the boat runs over a few patrol/safely boats! lol
I think that may be where a few of the passenger side dings came from! Supposedly this boat had the most powerful engine at the 2003 Worlds. I have the full DVD on order, it looks very wild.

Cheers

Rampager
10-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Got a few new pics, doesn't this look fun!
:D

Rampager
10-05-2004, 07:09 AM
:O

150aintenuff
11-29-2004, 02:00 AM
welcome to the world of NORTHWEST JETBOATS.... gotta love lufetime hull warantys.... heavy aluminum is olny way to go..

build her to 1100hp and keep her race ready , and enjoy her,

if she can handle a roll over at 100 you will never kill her

Rampager
02-11-2005, 10:26 PM
The Eagle has (finally) landed, on my doorstep. Pics to follow tomorrow.......
Cheers

10.5' Tunnel
02-11-2005, 10:28 PM
TOMMOROW!!? C'mon. I guess we can wait that long :p

150aintenuff
02-13-2005, 04:34 PM
its the day aafter tomarrow..... where is the pics....... we are getting impatient... J/K but are waiting....

Rampager
02-14-2005, 07:58 PM
I had torubles with pics on the forum so sorry about that guys. He's the new "baby"

Rampager
02-14-2005, 08:00 PM
few more pics

Rampager
02-14-2005, 08:06 PM
and the last one (for now)

150aintenuff
02-14-2005, 10:02 PM
are you going to fix the existing paint or redo the sides??? good looking hull

Rampager
02-15-2005, 05:22 PM
I have a scheme in mind for the whole boat. I don't think it will ever seem entirely like mine unless I paint it completely. I'm also not that happy with the flags. Neither is that nice and the American one was ground out a bit during repairs anyway.

I will post progress here ;)

Cheers

Unchained
02-15-2005, 08:14 PM
That 21' Eagle hull is a real nice unit. I'm tempted to get one.
They look like they would take some abuse.
Would they have a good holeshot with a regular diverter rather than one of
those long snoots ?

Rampager
02-15-2005, 09:36 PM
I have no practical experince (yet) Unchained but I was told they are alot more drivable with a regular nozzle and one would assume they would have to be.
I'm sure it would go really nice with your setup in it. Buy one and we can start a 21 tunnel trend here out east ;)

Cheers

150aintenuff
02-16-2005, 01:24 AM
unchained the jet tunnels run very well with standard nozzle but some do benifit from the drop snout but not many.. good impeller setup is more key than snout type with aluminum hulls for some reason( could be longer designed running surface for shallows and flatter running attitude)

I have no doubt that that eagle hull will run good for Rampager so long as there is enough power to keep him happy...

what does your hull weigh

Rampager????
unchained????

Unchained
02-16-2005, 07:14 AM
I have a 19' Stealth now which I'm real happy with except for the weight.
I was told it would weigh 500# when I ordered it.
I weighted it with a digital crane scale and I got 640# completely bare.
I think a lot of guys think their fiberglass boats are lighter than they really are.

The Stealth has a tremendously good hole shot and it would be a shame to give that up on an Eagle hull, but everything I've heard is that the holeshot is real slow on the 21' Eagle tunnel.

The main attractions to me on the Eagle hull are more interior room, more freeboard, lighter weight, more durability, and the main one......ALUMINUM. It goes with my engine package. :D

Rampager
02-16-2005, 07:09 PM
I have yet to weigh it but I am told 600-650. (he newer ones are lighter still -mine is a 1999)
It seem lighter than that. I will try to weigh it before I add anything to it.
Unchained you have no idea about interior room till you have one, this thing is massive inside! You really notice the lack of interior supports and structure, especially in the bow

Interestingly enough I am really surprised there is not more 'wear and tear' on the hull than there is. I mean it has it dents and beauty marks but the interior area's look almost new. I guess I am not used to how aluminum boats wear but I am sure I will be hooked on this material for a boat in a big hurry

I never weighed my wood hull but the plans said it was over 800 lbs and I bet it was more. The Eagle seems way easier to move around.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress

Cheers

Adding: I'm going to throw together my former "good" motor with better pistons(hypereutectics baaaaaad) and will see about 550 Hp to start. Then build for mid summer something a little better, maybe mid 650's. I'm told 550 will be lively with the tunnel and if kept light and setup right may see a low 90
but 80's for sure. "For now" that will keep me happy

150aintenuff
02-16-2005, 11:26 PM
as for aluminum wear wait a week and I will post pics of my aluminum null that is a 1989 hull and you will see the new ones look nearly IDENTICAL to the old as long as it hasnt started to corrode due to salt residue being left on or lack of care. dents and scratches are easy to fix with emorycloth and portapower and paint is only real wear.

unchained holeshot in aluminum boats can rival anything out there because they run so flat that there is nearly ZERO bowrise with enough HP just hammerdown and are on plane... even with a fissin 150 HP merc I can tune my boat (which is LOTS heavier than that eagle) to rival most tournement ski boats and mild powered (340> HP) Vdrives or inboards.. not Drag Race speeds but with your engine I dont see Why not... you got Lots of power...

If you all think the eagle has alot of room you should see the fissin versions built under the Harborcraft/Jetcraft name... nearly double what the eagles have... but as we all know more room means slower top speed caus den everybody + their brotha is wit ya...

Rampager
04-20-2005, 07:45 PM
haven't posted for a while but the hull has been in my possesion for a few months now and the work is well underway. I have lots to do but I am hoping for late may launch. here's pics from the weekend on the newly built all aluminum trailer
Cheers

mr.clean
04-20-2005, 07:51 PM
:cool: great looking boat! awsome pics :) good luck with it.

STV Dreamer
04-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Looks like a real sweet trailer Jimbob. I have a question....will the fork lift with be necessary to take it off the trailer at all times for launching? and are you planning on towing trailer/boat/forklift together with the Fiery FIERO. :eek: J/K

I'm impressed w/ the trailer... you have a nice looking rig comming together.

150aintenuff
04-20-2005, 09:57 PM
wheres the bow stop..... that hull will slide over the fiero with out it............

Rampager
04-21-2005, 05:13 AM
Oh god Rich has found me here too now, arrrrrghhhhhhh! :P
I'm SO looking forward to "washing" your new boat Rich ;) lol

I have to permanently fix the bunks before I can weld in the bow support. The tunnels get shallower towards the rear of the hull for compression so at the moment the bow sits a bit low. Hope to finish it all up this weekend. I have tomorrow off too, well for working on real stuff anyway. Hope for primer before months end.

Lifting the hull that way makes things sooooo easy. Its a peice of cake to do it alone even.
I'm pretty thrilled with it so far.

Rich you still interested in a hunk of aluminum checkerplate for your dash?

Cheers

STV Dreamer
04-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Hey RumpRanger! no plate for me TY.

I dug up that insurance company that was at the TIBS. Says they cover jet boats....actually has a box to check off for jets. Thought you might give them a try.

CGI
Crosslands General Insurance
1-800-461-2591 or 1-519-438-5416
John or Sarah Charno

Good Luck!......and I think you have a new nickname :D :D :D :D :D

Rampager
06-20-2005, 08:24 PM
not much time lately for surfing and posting pics but the beast got wet on Sun afternoon, finally!

Now for the fun part, tuning it up and figuring out how to make it fly!

:D

150aintenuff
06-21-2005, 12:39 AM
good luc in makin it "fly" those hulls dont do that.. they will scream but run flat doing so... nose up in a jetboat is relative to the tunnels packing air more so than it is in trimming the pump.. glad to see you got it running finally.

AnthonySS
06-21-2005, 06:00 AM
AWESOME...JAMES that is great news.

Hope to see you out on Saturday

jhwh
06-21-2005, 06:21 AM
nutty americans :D

Rampager
06-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Not sure what you mean exactly there Npartin, check out the video clips on eagles site www.eagleracing.ca, specifically race clip #1, if that boat ain't flying I don't have a clue what its doin lol
It will be a while before I will have the power and setup to take full advantage of the air entrapment but that is the goal. i'd be thrilled to see 90 by the end of the season but breakin 80 im sure will be enough work for now

Not really "work" tho hehe

Cheers

150aintenuff
06-21-2005, 09:20 PM
look here.. as I recall this is your hull....... is it not.
http://www.eagleracing.ca/RGallery/Racew3.sm10.jpg
that isnt exactially running on the last few inches of a hull

by look of pics the water line is about even with helm or first number from rear...

Rampager
06-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Yea thats my hull alright, where were you when I was asking around for race pics of her? hehe

I think its a trick to get them to fly just right and from what I've heard Mark was not the most experienced guy on the circuit by any means.
Have any more pics?
cheers

150aintenuff
06-21-2005, 09:44 PM
that was on their website in a calogue (sp) of other pics... here is another boat as well with about the same running attitude.. fairly flat.. since they are designed for extreem shallows they have to be slightly longer in running surface to bring water with them over som areas not necessarily passable any other way...

http://img207.echo.cx/img207/7576/race2tu.th.jpg (http://img207.echo.cx/my.php?image=race2tu.jpg)

150aintenuff
06-21-2005, 09:53 PM
dont get me wrong they are good boats well capible of 120-130 mph with enough power and extreemly stable for what they are... they just dont fly in the same sence as an outboard powered tunnel or even a flatbotom Vdrive or jet.. and they are designed that way for a reason... it isnt bad, just different way to look at it. good hulls and lots of fun, hope you didnt take what i said the wrong way, they just are a different breed of boat

Rampager
06-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Didn't take it wrong at all, Just diff definitions of flying I guess. Compared to my 12 degree v bottom I can tell this hull will fly alot more, thats for sure.
I'm pretty sure that hull in the last pic is not a tunnel although I could be wrong.
I just picked up my seats so I best get my butt back into the shop and install them! I'll have a ton of pics from the Performance boat club of Canada run this weekend, can't wait

Cheers

150aintenuff
06-26-2005, 11:57 AM
it is hard to tell by pic but I took the pic from the 21' tunnel pictures from eagle.. but I am not sure of the speed both boats were traveling either.. and yes going from a 12* vee to that boat will fly more so i guess you can get it to "fly"

Rampager
06-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Yes it is hard to tell but Im sure I have seen that boat before and its not a 21, its more like 19 and I could be wrong but I think its a steptec
<shrugs>

Ran the hull this weekend for 3 days, needs more trim and alot more power! Other wise super happy with the boat but alot of little things to work on.
I do have to say the 21.5 Eagle tunnel is an awesome machine. It corners like crazy with the bow down. I need to get my trim unit figured out asap.
My stock little van motor was puching me only to 60 mph so there is alot of room for improvement, and I mean alot
lol

Watch for pics in the general section under the PBCC lake Skugog run

Cheers

AnthonySS
06-27-2005, 05:55 AM
AWESOME...boat James...that thing is great...very well done and I am happy to see you in a larger baot with much more potential....WELL DONE:)

grahamdelooze
08-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Hi, I would really like one of these Alloy tunnel jet boats but I live in the UK and no one does them. How much is a second hand hull and pump, I would probably run a jaguar v12 over here as they are all alloy too.

grahamdelooze
11-07-2009, 05:35 AM
anyone?