PDA

View Full Version : Hydrostream Yt Hulls

streaming demon
11-20-2001, 10:16 PM
has anyone ever thought of steping the bottom of the sponsons to keep them out of the water at high speeds.just wondering cuz im going to try it and i thought i would ask before i do somthing stupid.
thanks matt.

pyro
11-21-2001, 11:09 AM
They already do this, but only on the 20 foot Vegas XT hull. Howard Pipkorn experimented with using the XT style sponsons on the 18 foot hulls, but it was dangerously unpredictable. The end result were the Valero YT and V-king YT hulls, which have the full sponsons which extend down to the same level as the pad. The YT loses some efficiency because there's more boat in the water, but they are easy to drive. The 20 foot XT's sponsons break free from the water around 65 mph, with a rush of acceleration, after that, the sponsons serve only to pack air and assist in lifting the hull, otherwise, they handle like most other pad-vee hulls at full speed. The smaller, lighter hulls would be dangerous at speed if they were to catch a sponson while chinewalking, I suppose. The stepped design on the smaller hulls is BAD, BAD, BAD. Check out our own forum administrator's article on the IHR at: http://www.hydrostream.org/ArticleArchives/HullTech.htm for some sketches of the hull designs. Thanks, Greg, for the sketches, but I'm not sure you would want to drive a Viking XT, if such a thing existed!!
-Chad

pyro
11-21-2001, 11:14 AM
Here's a lousy picture of my Vegas XT, looking back from under the bow. (attached)

streaming demon
11-21-2001, 01:35 PM
i see what your saying i was just wondering if anyone has cut them up to get the sponsons out of the water, thank you you saved me time and maybe my life.:D ,