PDA

View Full Version : Removing Vinyl pinstriping from Hull?

mxz
08-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Anyone know of an easy way to remove old vinyl pinstriping from a hull? The pinstriping on one of our boats is pretty brittle so when I just try to peel it off it just comes off in little pieces. Is there an easier way?

Thanks

Cp
08-04-2004, 10:06 AM
heat gun or hair dryer.

heath brinkley
08-04-2004, 10:29 AM
And patience, don't forget patience.

And a set of donor arms wouldn't hurt either.

tripledude
08-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Use caution with a heat gun. Staying in one spot too long can have not-so-good results on gelcoat. Can't go wrong with the hairdryer.

rpm racing
08-04-2004, 10:36 AM
run a razor blade under the vinyl pinstrip CAREFULLY and it should come right off.

KaptainKirk
08-04-2004, 10:40 AM
With 3m adhesive remover, Then run a teei cloth towel over it that will pick off the little bits.
Then go over it with a different towel ta get all the residue from the adhesive off.

This stuff will strip any and all wax off so let it breath then rewax the boat.

Also ya gonna get high off this stuff so alot of ventilation is a good idea.

I did a 28' 10" cruiser this way it had a pinstripe at the waterline that did exactly what ya described.

Worked for me...did have a headache from the fumes afterward.

Can of the stuff costs like 20.00

K.K.

heath brinkley
08-04-2004, 10:59 AM
brings up a good point.

I did what your doing a couple years ago. Once I got the vinyl off all the adhesive mess was left. Adhesive remover may or may not mess up your paint. If it does, I tried everything including water. My wife suggested leaving it out over night, with the dew and humidity on it all night and working on it first thing in the morning. "Baaaaaahahahahahahaha, woman don't tell me my b'dness" replies Heath " I don't tell you how to cook, you don't know nothin' 'bout boats, ect.ect." Heath continues.
Many days and three sets of fingertips later I tried her way. Man was that misserable trying to sneak around behind her back and do it her way, after running my mouth. There would have been no livin' with her if she'd a found out her way worked best.;) :D :D

I've tried to learn to keep my mouth shut since then, but can't seem to do it.

KaptainKirk
08-04-2004, 11:58 AM
it on was not painted it was gel coated.

heath brinkley
08-04-2004, 12:18 PM
yeah, it doesn't seem to hurt gel coat. mine was painted.

KaptainKirk
08-04-2004, 01:09 PM
spray that on anything but gel or steel.
I have seen it change the color on carpet.

I also use the stuff ta take off road tar on the truck around the wheel wells...hasn't done anything to the clearcoat yet!

K.K.

heath brinkley
08-04-2004, 01:37 PM
take off road tar...what's that called ??

mxz
08-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! I am going to try the razor blade approach first before trying any chemicals.

stokernick
08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
wd40

SKATER241
08-05-2004, 12:12 PM
ADHESIVE REMOVER WILL WORK WELL BUT THERE IS AN EASIER WAY.GO TO ANY PLACE THAT SUPPLIES BODY SHOPS AND BUY A 3M STRIPE REMOVER WHEEL.WILL WORK IN A DRILL.IT BASICALLY ACTS LIKE AN ERASER.IT IS RUBBER AND PEELS THE STRIPES OFF NO PROBLEM.ALL YOU ARE LEFT WITH IS A GLUE RESIDUE AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT OFF WITH ADHESIVE REMOVER.I MANAGE A BODY SHOP AND WE USE BOTH OF THESE PRODUCTS WITH NO PROBLEMS TO DATE.

Dinomite
08-05-2004, 12:21 PM
You are exactly right. Will save hours and your fingers. Been there done that, 3M STRIPE REMOVER WHEEL worked great!

sho305
08-05-2004, 12:52 PM
I use lighter fluid, naptha, or mineral spirits to take the sticky off...pretty much the same as the 3M, might take a minute longer. It should not hurt any type of car paint that is not trashed, except maybe laquer and if that is on your boat it will not last long anyhow. With the heat you can use a new sharp plastic putty knife/etc to get the stuff off without scratching the paint/gel; then use the solvent to wash off residue. Helps to soak that glue to soften it up, then it comes off better though it can turn into this jelly stuff that is a pain. Wipe it with the solvent and do that a few times before it dries so it stays wet, that will soften it. The wheels work nice if you are in a hurry.

mxz
08-05-2004, 01:38 PM
3M Stripe removal wheel, what a great idea! Off to the store I go.