PDA

View Full Version : How to clean new alien cowlings?

skywagon
07-29-2004, 06:12 PM
This may be a silly question, but how are you guys keeping those black alien cowlings looking new? Mines only a few months old and it is already showing very fine scratches. I use lots of water and mild detergent, simple green and chamois to dry it off.

I know some people use CLR, oven cleaner and all types of stuff but I wanted to get more info.

Thanks in advance.

Scream And Fly
07-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Just treat it like a black car finish. Use automotive car wash (not dish washing detergent), microfiber cotton towels to wash and dry, and a very good wax. I like using Zymol on my cowls. Don't use Simple Green on the decals. Over time, it will soften the decals and fade colors.

Greg

Burke Kilgour
09-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Hey Greg, I noticed after putting new stickers on my plastic BP cowl that it is a bit faded. Have you heard of any plastic dyes that could restore the black a bit? I haven't tried anything yet because I want to do it the best way possible the first time rather than try a bunch of chemicals to see if they work. I don't want to paint it with that plastic/vinyl paint either.
Sorry for hijacking your thread skywagon, but I thought it was a similar problem.......

QUICKSILVER
09-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Meguiar's makes a plastic polish that works very well. You can also use 3M Finesse-it clear coat polish. The only problem with these polishes is getting the residue out from around the decals. Use cotton, or tissue. Cloth can add more scratches. Pledge furniture polish will hide oxidation, but it only last for a short time. The good thing is that it only takes a few minutes to apply. It also works for faded gel-coat, just don't expect it to work on rough metal flake.

22VelocityProMax300
09-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Skywagon, Here are the steps I use to keep my Pro Max 300 cowling looking brand new. First I wash it with Dawn dishwashing detergent to remove any grease from the finish. I then claybar the finish using clay magic spray and their claybar.Next rinse the finish. I then apply a coat of Zaino Z2 polymer sealant and follow up with Zaino Z6 gloss enhancing spray. All summer long to keep the cowling looking good all you have to do is wash it using your favorite car wash soap (I prefer Meguiars gold class) and follow up with the Zaino Z6 Detail spray. This is the same procedure I use on the boat also. Frank sr

pyro
09-22-2004, 11:21 AM
I like to use Meguiar's Step 2 polish, Machine Glaze, or Cleaner/wax.

Firestarter
09-22-2004, 11:34 AM
plexus spray...............unreal!

W. Tripp
08-04-2005, 10:39 AM
To remove scratches use 3M Finess-It II and a clean buffing pad - it is about a 3500 grit finish. It will even remove fairly deep scratches, but a buffer is needed to get heat into the surface. You can get it through your local NAPA store. If you want to get really shiny, buff it again with 3M "hand glaze for dark colors" it is a 6000 grit finish.

As much as I like Plexus (thanks Rob), the 210 plastic polish/cleaner is my favorite - ESPECIALLY on clear plastic and engine cowls. It was designed for optically pure clear windshields and visors, but works very well on engine cowls.

Hydro-T20
10-10-2005, 05:46 PM
After beeing washed, on our dirtbikes we use silicon-spray, to keep em shiny and nice...works great...Kinda cheating though, but for our use it works, makes the dirt come of a bit esayer too...;)