PDA

View Full Version : Driving A Champboat Is Even Harder Than It Looks

spn#43
07-28-2004, 06:13 PM
:cool:
DRIVING A CHAMPBOAT IS
EVEN HARDER THAN IT LOOKS

The ChampBoat is a beautiful machine to behold as it flies gracefully down straightaways and carves precise turns at every buoy. From the driver’s point of view, however, driving an APBA ChampBoat Series machine at 140 miles an hour over rough water in the spray of 20 other boats is not exactly a graceful act.

There is more than 350 horsepower strapped on the back of a boat that weighs little more than 1,100 pounds. The boat can accelerate from zero to 100 m.p.h. in about three seconds. The race course, affected by wind, currents and the wakes of other boats, changes every single lap. At every corner, the driver is slammed into the side of his cockpit with the force of three to four Gs (forces of gravity).

“Controlled chaos,” is how John Jensen of Windsor, Colo., describes it.

A tunnel-hull race boat is actually flown just over the surface of the water. The driver trims the boat out of the water as much as possible – a cushion of air is packed under the boat to produce lift. The boat goes faster when less of the hull is in the water. At the world’s top level of outboard powerboat racing, the competition is so close that running on the fine line of control and taking chances are necessary to win – or just to finish in the top five.

The boats are about 17 feet long. Some are made entirely of fiberglass and carbon fiber. Others carry wood hulls topped by carbon-fiber center sections and driver-protection capsules. The 2.5-liter, V-6 engines are electronically fuel-injected. Most teams run highly modified Mercury Racing engines.

“When you get to the Champ level of racing, you’re running with the top echelon of drivers. A lot of these teams have very good equipment,” said Todd Bowden of Monrovia, Calif. “Most of the guys have been in it longer than I have. You have to run on the ragged edge all time.”

If the driver trims the boat too high out of the water – or a gust of wind catches the hull – the boat can blow backwards out of the water and land in an explosive spray of water and splinters. If the boat skips or digs into a wake while cornering, it can barrel-roll into the water.

Experience may be more valuable in racing tunnel-hull boats than any other machine due to the complexity of the controls. “Every part of your body is working at the same time to drive the boat,” said Jensen, whose team is sponsored by Harris Marine. “It has to become a reflex more than a thought.”

“A ChampBoat driver is doing something with both hands and both feet at all times. It takes even a good driver five years to get the hang of it,” said team-owner Bill Seebold, who retired after winning 69 world and national championships. “You’re on the trim buttons 95 to 98 percent of the time. If you can’t keep it on the ragged edge, you’ll be 10 to 12 miles an hour off of the guys who are.”

While a racing boat doesn’t have a brake pedal, the driver has plenty of other controls to keep him busy. Drivers equip their boats to suit individual preferences, but usually the right foot rests on the accelerator pedal and the left foot controls a button that is used to trim the outboard engine closer to or further away from the stern. That movement, although it may be just a few degrees, is enough to pop the boat’s bow high out of the water.

The steering wheel determines the boat’s direction, of course, and also is equipped with five switches that take care of engine trim, engine height and the driver-crew radio.

One of those switches, mounted on a spoke well inside the wheel’s rim, enables the driver to move the engine up or down about one inch. This is used to compensate for water conditions, enabling the driver to run the boat a bit higher in smooth water or try to keep it lower in rough water.

Three of the switches are distributed equally around the wheel closer to the rim so the driver can reach them when the wheel is in any position. All of the switches allow the driver to trim the engine in – effectively lowering the bow of the boat. Driving the boat is much like flying an airplane. The pilot has to keep the boat’s bow at the precisely proper attitude at every instant.

“There’s a fine line between running enough lift to go fast and running too much lift,” said Tim Seebold of Osage Beach, Mo., driver for his father’s Bud Light Racing Team. “We’ve got so much air packed underneath the boat, it doesn’t take much to move them over. A slight gust of wind can blow you over a couple of lanes.”

“You want to fly the boat until you get to the danger zone,” said Max Toler of Baton Rouge, La., who is sponsored by The Advocate newspaper. “Only you know what your danger zone is.”

But a driver knows immediately when he has made a mistake and crossed into the danger zone, he said. “When you’re in a tunnel boat and it gets real quiet, you’re in trouble because you’re leaving the water. If you’re just coming off a corner you have time to react and bring the boat back down. At the end of the straightaway when you’re running at top speed, you don’t have time to react. If you’re going over, you’re going over.”

Toler is one of the younger drivers in the top level of outboard racing and hopes his physical conditioning gives him some advantage over older, more experienced drivers.

“Driving one of these things is like taking an Indy car over a million of those reflective highway marker buttons,” he said. “It jars your whole body.”

The trim dance begins the instant the boat leaves the dock at the start of a race. “You get a one-minute flare before the start of the race,” Bill Seebold said. “At about 30 seconds you turn your fuel pump on to build up the pressure and purge air out of the system. When the starting flag goes up at 20 seconds, you are at wide open throttle and have the engine trimmed out to where the boat best accelerates off the dock.”

After punching the starter button to leave the dock, the driver begins trimming the engine in – and bringing the bow down – almost immediately after the start.

“You accelerate really quick. The Mercury engine goes immediately to 6,000 rpms and is at 9,000 rpms as soon as the boat has gone five feet,” Bill Seebold said. You have to be on the trim button almost instantly because these things accelerate so fast they can run right out from under you. At the end of the straightaway you hit the buttons on the steering wheel to trim it down. If you’re going 135 miles an hour, you can’t be two or three inches off the water and expect the boat to turn,” Bill said.

When you get to the turn and the bow drops, you can feel the boat get water through the seat of your pants. Sometimes you take back a little throttle. As soon as you feel the boat touch the water, you bend it. As soon as you get the boat set in the water, you=re back on the left foot trimming it out.

Bowden has been racing at the Champ level of the sport for five years and has won a number of national races, but feels he is still learning how to drive the powerful machines. He had a lot of experience in the SST-120 class, which utilizes similar boats and a stock carbureted, 2.0-liter engine. Thanks to the speed and torque of the full-race Mercury engine used in the ChampBoats, driving them is a totally different experience.

“These boats are not forgiving because of the power they have. It took at least a year to get really comfortable with the way the boat reacts,” said Bowden, who is sponsored by ABC Concrete Cutting and Concrete Coring Company. “Every time you get in the boat you drive better.”

Greg Foster of Orange, Calif., is a national ChampBoat champion who also has raced motorcycles, off-road cars and shorttrack trucks. The superior skills required in boat racing improved his abilities for driving land-based machines. “Experience makes a lot of difference in boat racing. I’ve developed a knack for constantly reading the race course, which is different all the time,” said Foster, whose team is sponsored by Sherwin Williams paints.

Racing in traffic with changing wind and water conditions requires a driver to make instinctive decisions, he said. “I have a mental picture of everything that’s around me and how to react if something happens. If you have to think about what you’re doing, you lose your rhythm.”

As they power down a straightaway, drivers try to look for swirls and caps on the water to tell them what the wind is doing.

“When you see those ripples on the water, you’ll bump it down,” said Tim Seebold, a two-time champion at the Champ level. In the heat of competition, however, it’s not always possible to enjoy the luxury of bumping it down, he said. “The drivers on this circuit are so good and the equipment is so close that you have to run on the edge to win races. When you start a race, you know at some point you’re going to have to do something you don’t want to do.”

Even the most experienced drivers in ChampBoat racing are likely to push too far and crash, Seebold said. “You know you’re going to have to do something that exceeds what you or your boat are capable of doing. When you get in those situations, you get caught once in a while.”

gdfatha
07-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Having said all that my friend (Page)..how about talking the wheels to be to have some races in Central Florida. Hell I'd even go down to the keys to see you guys again. The Champ Boats, SST 120s and all OPC's are truly missed.

Someone or group really screwed the fans as well as the drivers/crews/families by depriving them the pleasuer of enjoying the time here..

And as you say... Camp Boats are exciting. Here is Rinker showing off...:D :D

marc

spn#43
07-29-2004, 09:03 PM
I know Marc,
But unfortunately there are too many single-minded people in boat racing (drags only - Eustis; hydros only - Ocoee …etc) who fail to see that boat racing is struggling and that we can only help each other by making combined events, but NO…like one said on this board “I’m not going to race with bunch a roundy rounds” and with attitude like that boat racing is getting nowhere.:mad: :mad:

Anyway we are going to two more Champ Boat races this year August 13-15 Toledo, OH and August 28-29 Windsor, CO, and maybe September 18-19 San Diego, CA after that we got some Region 5 local races in October 9-10 Lake Alfred FL, October 23-24 Crescent City FL, and potential November race in Okeechobee FL, so there is plenty of racing still to come before year is over so get your camera and join us for some “ GO FAST – TURN LEFT kind of fun.
Page
;) ;)

gdfatha
07-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Page..save all the pennies you can. Do not miss San Diego. For one thing, the Unlimited Hydros are getting their heads together again so the may be 10-12 of them at Mission Bay.

There are four rookies that will be testing up in Seattle and Tri-Cities.

The other thing is it a wonderful venue. Lottsa great restaurants and many things to do. So get there early and stay late..

Good luck in your Champ races, be safe.

I am already booked for the Offshore Nationals at Deerfield Beach in October and the Offshore Worlds at Key West in November.

I'll do my best to attend the Champs & OPC local races..

Here is some action at San Diego..

gdfatha
07-29-2004, 09:25 PM
and the famous double blow over

spn#43
07-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by gdfatha

I am already booked for the Offshore Nationals at Deerfield Beach in October .

Let me know when you get to Deerfield Beach, maybe we can go for a beer or something since I live in Pompano Beach witch is only few miles away.:D

gdfatha
07-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Sounds like a plan..Deerfield is 8-9-10 of October and Key West is 14-21 of November..

Take care

marc

CDave
08-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by spn#43
I know Marc,
But unfortunately there are too many single-minded people in boat racing (drags only - Eustis; hydros only - Ocoee …etc) who fail to see that boat racing is struggling and that we can only help each other by making combined events, but NO…like one said on this board “I’m not going to race with bunch a roundy rounds” and with attitude like that boat racing is getting nowhere.:mad: :mad:

How would you combine say a Drag Race and a Champ boat race? Run them both at the same time?

gdfatha
08-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by CDave
How would you combine say a Drag Race and a Champ boat race? Run them both at the same time? ==============
It's called share the time.

-Run a couple of heats of the drags
-Then a couple of heats of Champ/OPC
-Let the water settle down a bit
-Then start over

That is the way Eustis was conducted a few years ago and was very successful and delighted and held the attention of the fans.

-If the wind is too high and water too rough for the drags, put the Champs/OPCs on the water and let them run. Don't sit there waiting hours for the water to smooth out so the drags can be run.
This happened at a few races and the Champ/OPC guys who travelled at great distances got screwed and didn't get to race.

-The drags and OPC's (SST45/60/120-Mod U-Supersports and Vs and SLTss) have all run together in a well coreographed program at Eustis and Crescent City in the past.

-Mixed classes used to run together at Lakeland and Lake Alfred.

-Earlier this year at Eustis the drags and the Jersey Skiffs ran so it can be done.

-At all races, second to safety is TIME, and the mutual SHARING of time.

- Boats for the next heat/class should be in the water and ready to go at command. If it isn't ready, it should not hold up events.

-At least 5 different classes are run at the Unlimited Hydro races.

-The Offshore even had the Supersports run at St Pete and plannned to have the Kneeldowns and Mod Us at Marathon but (water too rough for the smaller craft).

*****Races have got to start on time. That is the responsibilty of each and every driver/crew and the race director and includes the initial race of the day through the final race of the day.

marc

spn#43
08-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by CDave
How would you combine say a Drag Race and a Champ boat race? Run them both at the same time?

I was referring to local regional racing, not Champ Boat series.
And yes it can be done but some people are scared that OPC’s might steal the show and then what??? :confused: :confused:
;)

1BadAction
08-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Drag racing is fun and all, and i enjoy watching it, and pitting for guys that race it. truthfully its not near as interesting as opc when you are just a spectator that doesn't know boats. theres just something about the "door to door" that roundy rounds have and the drag guys dont. Opc seems to draw more "virgin" spectators than the drags do...

when is the next race in this area?

gdfatha
08-01-2004, 09:08 PM
The next "Tentatively" APBA sanctioned race in Florida is Oct 9-10.
1324 Tentative
Lake Alfred FL
Region 5
Contact
PRO-KPH-MOD-SO-OPC-SLT-J-

Unfortunately (at least for me-and another of my gripes) the dates conflict with the Offshore Nationals at Deerfield Beach where I made reservations before the Lake Alfred event was scheduled. About 80+ boats are expected at Deerfield.

There are some drag events going on at Crescent City but I don't know if they are sanctioned or just a get together or how many participants there are.

The Only other "Scheduled " race I am aware of is the Offshore Worlds at Key West in November. Over 100 boats are expected there. The large number is due to at least 5 of the Offshore organizations working together.

marc

Simon
08-01-2004, 10:40 PM
SPN#43 are you coming out to the san diego race? If so I can help.

spn#43
08-02-2004, 06:20 AM
It would be so cool to have someone like you in the pits, but San Diego is 2700 miles away and I’m looking for some sponsorship help to make it happen.
What kind of help are you offering?
:D :D
page@f1racer.com

sho305
08-02-2004, 07:42 AM
That is some real cool racing. Sometimes I can't figure out why the networks can only carry b-ball and nascar for sports. I'd watch jetski racing first just to see some real racing. They don't do drags even for cars...not everyone has speed, and the major networks wonder why they can't keep all those viewers. Ah, make another cheapo human conflict show....mtv grown up.

gdfatha
08-02-2004, 08:35 AM
The Speed Channel shows all the Unlimited Hydro races and at time the F1s from overseas. The OLN net work shows most Offshore races. Champ races are also shown on Outdoor network..

The Champboat races will be shown this Wednesday on the Outdoor network.

Here is the link to racing schedule on TV. It is part of the APBA website.. Here is the link..===>

http://www.apba-racing.com./Events.php?TV=

Enjoy

marc

CDave
08-02-2004, 09:01 AM
I was referring to local regional racing, not Champ Boat series.
And yes it can be done but some people are scared that OPC’s might steal the show and then what??? :confused: :confused:
;)

I was using Champ boat as a generic term for the circle boat racing.

pbxcomm
08-02-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm not a racer, missed by a year, ran out and grabbed an HST and a MOD VP, APBA cancelled that class that year so never made it race side.
Which brings me to my point: As a lake racer (as most of the members here) and an avid spectator, (my son's and I travel all over to catch a race (rain or shine) as I support all aspects of racing from OPC to Pro and have been for decades.
However, I disagree with spn#43, its not the single minded people inside and the staff members who run the clubs, it is the lack of support to the spectators. For example, when a spectator shows interest in a specific team and approaches that team to discuss seamingly boring subjects about what the racer does on the water, most (not all) team members rather not take the time.
Additionally, the announcing at some of these races fall short. They (the announcers) should focus less on the obvious (a boat skimming accross the water at a high rate of speed) and bring some attention to the color of the sport.
NASCAR hurt for years and core quality of racing went with, they are coming back and why? Spectator support,, shuttles to race side, pit passes readily available (don't use insurance as an excuse to lock out spectators from the pits, your sport WILL die).
Drivers are taking more time to communicate and are more visible (as their new contracts state).
I do, however, agree with a comment from 1badscream referencing spectators. At any rate, the point I'm trying to make here, stop crying about internal affairs, there are afterall many staff involved in a race and everyone that has a class to run wants it their way.

Certainly, if this sport continues to ignore the fans, boat racing will indeed suffer the same fate as NASCAR.

- Marc
Avid Spectator and too old to race

gdfatha
08-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by pbxcomm
- - - - - - -

Certainly, if this sport continues to ignore the fans, boat racing will indeed suffer the same fate as NASCAR.

- Marc

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn..

You almost had patent infrigment with your signature====== mine (on another website) is :

"marc (Offshore Papparazzi)

Senior Blue Hair~ I'm so old.. I remember
"Preparation A"... :D :D :D

I have to agree to disagree on the discussion regarding attention to fans..

1) I Agree with the unsatisfactory coverage of the loud speakers....BUT..not even the most fan friendly venue in any boat racing venue from the Unlimited Hydros to the J class or the Detroit Gold Cup in Detroit to Haines City in Florida can cover every nook and cranny of the race site for all to hear.

Solution: Get closer to the official stand.

2) Pit passes: That is a matter of safety. I have some bones to pick but I understand the risk. I have APBA Crew Membership cards that I paid for but still have to sign a waiver which I already signed to get the cards. BUT.... NOT ALL races are sponsored by the APBA.

Pit passes even I consider this a priviledge and am willing to pay for them.. Depending on the venue the wet pits can be can be dangerous at any given second/minute.

Solution: Live with it....Get a membership-sign a waiver-ask an official what the requirements are.

3) Driver/crew-Fan interface=I personally have pissed myself off at some of my postings. So I know that I have pissed off various drivers/crews/officials.
-YET!!! I have never had anything but smiles when I introduce myself to drivers/crews/officials. I have had every question answered that I asked and in many cases stopped the conversation myself realizing that the crew has other things to do.

Solution: You have to time when you approach the driver/crew/official. If he/she is neckin with the opposite sex, by all means interrupt.:D :D

But if he/she has head burried in bilge...leave em alone till later...

That's it for now...

marc (general purpose paparazzi):D

mendo
08-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Maybe a solution for the loudspeaker problem would be to do like the drive in movie's used to do and broadcast on an am radio station. anyone that wanted to hear could tune the station and take in in.

I also like the idea of additional info, that would probably come from the racers themselves. They could fill out a bio in the entry form.

I love going through the pits and looking at all the hardware. It is great when the racers interact with the fans. Great PR for the sport.

pbxcomm
08-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Good to see I did not violate any patents and thank you for your reply.

I agree to your comments,,all of them.

It is obvious that you are quite familure with the goings on @ race side and as long as I have been around this sport it is easy for me to understand the do's and dont's.
As my post may appear to have been referencing self, my intentions were to explain the new fan experience.
I had recently asked one of my good friends to an OPC race, never been to one and thought it may be a good experience for him and his wife. Well, if I had had not intervened when I did, both my friend and his wife would have found a nice corner to sit. Lets face it unless you are invloved, watching boats circle all day can be a restful experience for a newbe and they most likely will not return. Now, quite frankly I don't appreciate people milling around the pits blocking ramps ect., but they don't know any better and they (the fans) are thrilled to be close to all the action.

At any rate, I love this sport and I have the utmost respect for drivers and crew. I am a member of the APBA and have been for years, I monitarily support racing when and how I can. My views are as objective as I can make them and I wish no ill intent.
I (and my son's) would be willing to pay a higher fee to enter race side as this is not the issue, any true race fan would pay big money to view a race up close, however, these big entry fees WILL NEED TO BE JUSTIFIED BY CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS.

- Marc

spn#43
08-02-2004, 08:38 PM

- Marc

Marc and any other fan;

Most of the drivers that I know would take any time to spend with fans and do what ever it takes to answer to any of question that you might have or to let your kid sit in the boat and take a picture or sign an autograph.
Next time you (or anybody else), see my boat at a race please feel free to stop by and I’ll show you around and not only my boat but I’ll take you to any boat you might like to check out or to meet the driver.
:) :)

Page

gdfatha
08-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Marc and any other fan;

Most of the drivers that I know would take any time to spend with fans and do what ever it takes to answer to any of question that you might have or to let your kid sit in the boat and take a picture or sign an autograph.
Next time you (or anybody else), see my boat at a race please feel free to stop by and I’ll show you around and not only my boat but I’ll take you to any boat you might like to check out or to meet the driver. ======================================

Damn.. There are just too many Marcs with a K or C in boating.. I'm gonna change my name to a "Boy named Sue" :D :)

spn#43
08-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Drivers from this site I need some help here:) :)

Bruce Washburn;
Gordie Miller;
Brian Tabara;
Jeff Grigg;
Mike Muldrow;
...etc

gdfatha
08-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Good to see I did not violate any patents and thank you for your reply.

I agree to your comments,,all of them.

Lets face it unless you are invloved, watching boats circle all day can be a restful experience for a newbe and they most likely will not return.
- - - - -
-----------------------------------------
At any rate, I love this sport and I have the utmost respect for drivers and crew. I am a member of the APBA and have been for years, I monitarily support racing when and how I can. My views are as objective as I can make them and I wish no ill intent.
I (and my son's) would be willing to pay a higher fee to enter race side as this is not the issue, any true race fan would pay big money to view a race up close, however, these big entry fees WILL NEED TO BE JUSTIFIED BY CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS.- Marc
- - - - - - -----------------------------------------

WHOA=====> You had better back up there... Thousands of fans attend Offshore and you can't see the racers 1/3 the time, thousands of fans attend the Unlimited Hydros run and the same condidtion exists.

Thousands have watched the F1s'Champs run in Laughlin.. Thousands of fans have watched the Rumble and Nationals with the OPCs....

and I would guess a few thousand at one time or another have come to Eustis to watch the OPCs run.

What entry fee?? To the Venues? Pits?? or entry fee to race??

There are NO entry fees to attend any races that I know of in Florida-Detroit or California for any class of boat.... YES, there are charges for VIP passes and for the big boys SOMETIMES for dry or wet pit access.....

If races are organized to move on without undue delays. A mix of classes will bring the fans and venues back. The interclass bickering has got to stop...and...it appears as though that is happening as we speak,At least for the Offshore and Unlimited Hydros...

Next subject, please...

cram (a boy named sue)

pbxcomm
08-02-2004, 09:44 PM
To spn#43, thank you, my son's and I will take you up on that.

I do owe an apology to most drivers and crew members out there as my intentions were not to generalize.

It is a sport which allowed me to show my four sons the meaning of teamwork and devotion to a sport early on. My oldest son (now graduating from college) went to his first race when he was six. At about the age of 10 my son met Rusty Campbell, Mr. Campbell was points leader in MOD VP at the time who my son idleized.
It was the nationals in Kankakee that Mr. Campbell saw my son and I pointing toward his boat, Mr. Campbell waved me over and ask me if I were ever interested in taking up this sport. We talked and I learned, you see, I was and remain convinced that Rusty Campbell was one of the best drivers I have ever seen. He could balance a modified V with the best of them. At any rate Mr. Campbell sat my son in his boat, well, what a thrill! The pictures I have are priceless and my son remebers that moment as it was yesterday.

It is racers like you and Mr. Campbell that can keep the spotlight on boat racing and spectators coming back for more. I will continue my support toward racing as I have in the past, I hope racing organizations continue to do the same for fans and spectators.

Thanks to all for the reponse and good luck to all the racers out there.

We'll be watching in St. Louis!

pbxcomm
08-02-2004, 10:01 PM
To gdfatha, I will assume your from Florida and perhaps the races that you have pointed out do not charge an entry fee. However, the majority of races that I have attended do charge a fee although minimal and a fee to enter the pits. As I had stated, the fees are not the issue here and not my point, additionally I was not referencing offshore, we all know the attendance numbers of unlimited hydro races - - and you're right,,, next subject.

captcarb
08-03-2004, 11:44 AM
because I am interested in what you all have to say.

I live in Eustis and I am interested in all types of motorsports There are many fans here like me. We have no lack of spectators at any motorsports event.

The Eustis Drag boat races have always been just that - drag boat races. For a few years the OPC and others were invited as guests. The first time they were not invited Eustis was labeled as drag only, when in truth there are many OPC fans here including me. The Super Sport class was born here.

Here (if you are interested) is how it came down. The APBA sanction and insurance fees became excessive. The big boys (re: offshore, unlimited, F!,etc) can afford these fees. The small outboard races strain to pay the excessive fees. The AOF was willing to sell the same exact insurance and sanction the race for about 1/4 the cost. This left the Eustis race without officials.

The local drag group including drivers, friends and families were willing to be trained to take over the needed tasks. They do this at no charge to the Eustis race organization. The local merchants provide the needed finances and always have.

There has been no interested from the OPC interest group (for lack of a better term) to officiate an OPC race pro bono.

This is not the first time I have made this offer. If any on you out there are interested in having an OPC race at Eustis, all you have to do is put together a package showing that you can be self sufficient at no charge to the race committee, and I will personally present it to the Eustis race committee. So far, there has been no interest. Wake up and smell the coffee, your whining is falling on deaf ears!! The committee reads this stuff. By the way, the inboard race guys did it easily. Talk to Bobby Mills.

To the fans:
There is no fee here for the race or the pits. The race is downtown with access to restaurants food booths shopping etc.
The racers are invited and encouraged to come to the spectator area (with their boats) after the races for pictures and to sign autographs and many do.

Eustis is going to have several announcers at the next race. There will be fan interviews. Just come to the announcers stand. One of the announcers knows virtually every racer and boat in the southeast. If you have a child that wants to meet a racer or have a picture taken in a race boat, bring them on.

I should add that I am no longer a member of the race committee. My opinions do not necessarily represent their position. I believe that everything I have said is accurate. The President of the race committee has posted his e-mail and phone number in several places on S&F, check with Mike if you wish.

Jim

outrace
08-05-2004, 05:26 AM
Been off line for a while so I only just now saw this thread.
All of the points I have read here are very valid the world over. fortunately there are guys like spn and myself who are more than happy to talk about what we do and how we do it, I especially like spending extra time talking to OMC fans and I get heaps at every race meeting ( there are just as many OMC fans as merc fans but only one OMC powered boat).
My biggest beef is the guys who go F1 and think that there something special and don't give the time of day to those who are supporting us on the banks.
Love my sport and the buzz I get from performing well, it's very personell when your out there doing it but sharing the experience with spectators allows the buzz to go on and on.
Take care all and if you ever get to gods country look me up and we'll have a beer or twenty around a really neat 25yr old CCC.

Outrace;
Owner and driver of Australia's Fastest Evinrude!

gdfatha
08-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by captcarb
because I am interested in what you all have to say.

I live in Eustis and I am interested in all types of motorsports There are many fans here like me. We have no lack of spectators at any motorsports event.

There has been no interested from the OPC interest group (for lack of a better term) to officiate an OPC race pro bono.

This is not the first time I have made this offer. If any on you out there are interested in having an OPC race at Eustis, all you have to do is put together a package showing that you can be self sufficient at no charge to the race committee, and I will personally present it to the Eustis race committee. So far, there has been no interest. Wake up and smell the coffee, your whining is falling on deaf ears!! The committee reads this stuff. By the way, the inboard race guys did it easily. Talk to Bobby Mills.

Eustis is going to have several announcers at the next race. There will be fan interviews. Just come to the announcers stand. One of the announcers knows virtually every racer and boat in the southeast. If you have a child that wants to meet a racer or have a picture taken in a race boat, bring them on.

I should add that I am no longer a member of the race committee. My opinions do not necessarily represent their position. I believe that everything I have said is accurate. The President of the race committee has posted his e-mail and phone number in several places on S&F, check with Mike if you wish.

Jim
======================================

OK....OPC guys... stand up and be counted!!! or.......How about the Jersey Skiffs??? or SLTs???????

marc

spn#43
08-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Marc you got PM.

spn#43
08-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by gdfatha
Unfortunately (at least for me-and another of my gripes) the dates conflict with the Offshore Nationals at Deerfield Beach where I made reservations before the Lake Alfred event was scheduled. About 80+ boats are expected at Deerfield.

marc

I can’t believe, you’re going to miss all of OPC races this year… I thought that you’re #1 OPC fan out there… come on brother…you are failing us.:( :eek: :confused: :(

gdfatha
08-05-2004, 09:25 PM
I can’t believe, you’re going to miss all of OPC races this year… I thought that you’re #1 OPC fan out there… come on brother…you are failing us.:( :eek: :confused: :( ====================
For a few years now I have complained about APBA region 5 officials and the "apparent" lack of coordination when it comes to, amongst other things, conflicts in scheduling.

More than once during the past few years I have run my A$$ off going to an OPC or a kneeldown race one day and then tearing off to Offshore races at another venue for the races the following day. I only did that for the love of the sport of all boat racing classes and to be truthful, I was spending more time on the road then at the races, and was too pooped to really enjoy either. Case in point, St Pete one day, Altamonte Springs the next Or Lakeland/Ocoee one day and St Cloud the next, or in either case, visa versa.

I'm dedicated to supporting all classes but I do expect some coordination in venue scheduling by the Region 5 elected officials.

This year, the schedule posted on the APBA site hardly showed ANY OPC races in Central Florida- Lakeland was gone-Eustis was gone (for OPC), Ocoee was gone (for OPC), Lake Alfred was gone....APR schedules showed nothing in Florida NOT EVEN Altamonte Springs and that may not happen due to construction around the lake.
People were literally begging for drivers to attend Howey in the Hills. Yet, not even one of the begging officials attended the race, and that sucks.

Then there is the conflict of drags Vs OPC, or kneeldowns Vs everybody...which truly sucks.

Being that the OFFshore has provided far better visibility and they are once again running in most cases as a group of 80-100+ my first priority is Offshore.

All other Region 5 news/schedules is near non-existant. That SUCKS.

As far as I'm concerned ther is no Region 5 organization. It's merely an random collection of independantly motivated people who thru love of the sport try to put on races.

I will be at Eustis (if it happens) and as a fan I plead for the OPC group to join in the festivities. The invite is there, please don't blow it. It's a great venue and the people /fans love it..and the OPCs used to..

As I'v said I truly miss the F1/Champsm. (they wer on Speed this last weekend) mods, all SSTs and SLT and the inboards, super stock etc etc..

Take care Page....Get that 1st checkered flag, but be safe..

I'll buy the beer etc at the Crazy Gator if you come to Eustis to say hello ....or Key West for the worlds...

I also hope you do not miss San Diego..

marc

Jeff_G
08-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Well let me jump in the fray, hell after 27 years driving I think I can get myself into trouble.
As for the region and scheduling. That is up to the individual categories and organizations putting on the race. The region has no say so unless there is another race in the same category at the same time. Further if there is a "series" race the same date it is just tough luck. Unfortunately that is the way it is. You have to remember many of the races and their dates are dictated by the host city, sponsor etc. So a conflict of dates between categories is really a non-issue.

As for being fan friendly. How many here have ever walked on to the field at a minor league or major league ball game and sat down and talked to a playerr? How many have walked up to Dale Earnhardt between practice and qualifying and sat on his car and asked questions? How many have even touched a real NASCAR or INDY car, not the show car? Yet at most venues the pits are open to all. I have sat or put friends into every kind of race boat from offshore to the Unlimiteds. I have talked to thousands personally over the years. Our drivers are for the most part the most accessable of ANY sport! Show me one other sport that is as fan friendly.

Eustis, unfortunately it cost to put on a good race. It is expensive for comprehensive insurance. It is only fair to pay the officials. Why should they be the ones not getting paid? Is the bill for them a deal killer? I don't think so. I like racing Eustis but frankly it had been one of the poorest run races. A good professional race crew and proper planning go a long way. Don't get me wrong the people of Eustis, Dorsey and the volunteers do a good job. But it takes a lot more than willingness to volunteer to put on a good race. I was asked if the N.O.R.A. officials would do the officiating a few years ago. I replied yes but I would not ask them to drive 7 to 10 hours to Fla. and work for free. I never heard back.
Even the carnival that every elementary school hires to raise money for the library fund charges the school. In many ways you get what you pay for.
For example at the N.O.R.A. races we did 10 heats in under 2 hours. We have very little down time and the actual racing consumes only 3 to 3 1/2 hours with 2 qualification heats and a final for all the classes run. It can be done but takes the right officials and crew, good communications and a lot of advance planning. I hope we return to Eustis one day for an APBA race.
The biggest challenges facing us particularly in OPC is getting adequate numbers of drivers to show, raising the money and sponsorships to conduct good races and adequate availability of boats and motors, as well as a fresh constant supply of new drivers.
Let me get back into my bunker and fire away :D

gdfatha
08-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Numbers reflect Jeff's comments

---------> reflect my opinion.

Originally posted by Jeff_G
Well let me jump in the fray, hell after 27 years driving I think I can get myself into trouble.

1) As for the region and scheduling. That is up to the individual categories and organizations putting on the race. The region has no say so unless there is another race in the same category at the same time. So a conflict of dates between categories is really a non-issue.

------>In my case (and I'm certain I'm not the only fan that feels this way) the region elected officials SHOULD be involved and above all TALK to each other and do their best to schedule races for ALL classes so as to be non conflicting. Remember, an OPC driver today could be an OFFshore pilot or fan next year or visa versa.

2) As for being fan friendly.Our drivers are for the most part the most accessable of ANY sport! Show me one other sport that is as fan friendly.

-------> Beach Volley Ball--Seriously-As I have stated for years, I have never had a driver/crew turn his/ her back to me when approached at any venue.

3) I like racing Eustis but frankly it had been one of the poorest run races. A good professional race crew and proper planning go a long way. Don't get me wrong the people of Eustis, Dorsey and the volunteers do a good job. But it takes a lot more than willingness to volunteer to put on a good race. I was asked if the N.O.R.A. officials would do the officiating a few years ago. I replied yes but I would not ask them to drive 7 to 10 hours to Fla. and work for free. I never heard back.

----------->As I have stated: Proper planning WITH the proactive attitude and willingness to be fair and flexible regarding ALL classes as a result of weather/wind/water conditions.

4) For example at the N.O.R.A. races we did 10 heats in under 2 hours. We have very little down time and the actual racing consumes only 3 to 3 1/2 hours with 2 qualification heats and a final for all the classes run. It can be done but takes the right officials and crew, good communications and a lot of advance planning. I hope we return to Eustis one day for an APBA race.

-------> As a fan, I agree and have observed some of the best run and the worst conducted races (IMHO)====> So it can be done...

5) The biggest challenges facing us particularly in OPC is getting adequate numbers of drivers to show, raising the money and sponsorships to conduct good races and adequate availability of boats and motors, as well as a fresh constant supply of new drivers.

--------------->IMHO= if races are conducted in a timely and fair manner, drivers will attend. I do not blame drivers/crew/families who have traveled far to compete and then get turned away due to class favoritism for not wanting to return..

6) Let me get back into my bunker and fire away :D

----> moving to adjacent bunker

marc

Hot Shot Merc
08-10-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm addressing what was said earlyer in this thread.Marc,Last year at Crescent city the opc's and the drag's did not go off fine.Again there was not enough time to get both types of races done in one day.The drags ran two heats on sunday.Dont get me wrong here,I felt greatfull to even be able to race because the organizer asked us to come and drag race there,for that I am greatfull but this is a perfect example as to why I have a problem with too many class's at one event.The other thing is that the reason the skiffs and the drags got it done on time this last race at Eustis was because there were only about 18 drag boats that showed up.Most of them that did not show told me that it was because they were mad that they didnt get to race the year before.Im not saying that its the fault of the roundy round boats but the fact is that the time ran out for the parks permit and the fire rescue personell was done at 6:00 pm.This shows me that at that particular venue its hard to get all them boats to race at the time allowed.Again I am one of those boats that was at the line milling in the water ready to race my class when the called the races at fifteen min's, to six.I paid a lot of money in APBA memberships to race at Eustis since 2001" and was dissapointed that I never got a chance to race.Surely you can understand my point in this and the past post's that we have debated over this subject.As for you SPN #43 I wish you would get over my past staements that you keep talking about (my past replys about not wanting to race at eustis with roundy rouds)and being one minded or whatever.I have more love for the opc's,champ boats,etc than you give me credit for.I have no problem with them,you or anybody that drives a roundy round boat.Opc drivers and crews have helped me in the past get my stuff running and have been respected greatly by me.I was told by several opc drivers about the schedule of races they get to run each year.That brings me to this,we as drag racers only had ONE race per year and that was the Eustis race.The only race we have and I didnt get to race because of the fact there was too many boats to race for one event.I dont dissagree that the organization skill's had something to do with that but untill the skills of the organizers get better it seems to me that there will be too many boats for one event.Hopefully in the near future these skills can be perfected so that we all can race together.I would love to see all of us at the same venue if it works PERIOD.If not then let us drag guys have some fun for a change.Its been twelve years or so since drag racing in florida has been worth a ****.We are trying our best to get to race too.This is bull**** just try and get over my past comments if you dont truly understand what Im trying to say.I love boat racing of all types but draging is what I want to do rite now.We dont need this friction in our sport.Lets start over with our attitudes and realize that other people have different intrests and views.Peace out Hot Shot!:cool:

gdfatha
08-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Hot Shot Merc

I'm addressing what was said earlyer in this thread.

Marc,Last year at Crescent city the opc's and the drag's did not go off fine.Again there was not enough time to get both types of races done in one day.The drags ran two heats on sunday.Dont get me wrong here,I felt greatfull to even be able to race because the organizer asked us to come and drag race there,for that I am greatfull but this is a perfect example as to why I have a problem with too many class's at one event.

-The other thing is that the reason the skiffs and the drags got it done on time this last race at Eustis was because there were only about 18 drag boats that showed up.Most of them that did not show told me that it was because they were mad that they didnt get to race the year before.

-Im not saying that its the fault of the roundy round boats but the fact is that the time ran out for the parks permit and the fire rescue personell was done at 6:00 pm.This shows me that at that particular venue its hard to get all them boats to race at the time allowed.Again I am one of those boats that was at the line milling in the water ready to race my class when the called the races at fifteen min's, to six.I paid a lot of money in APBA memberships to race at Eustis since 2001" and was dissapointed that I never got a chance to race.Surely you can understand my point in this and the past post's that we have debated over this subject.We dont need this friction in our sport.Lets start over with our attitudes and realize that other people have different intrests and views.Peace out Hot Shot!:cool:
============================
Rob as an independent observer I tend to agree to a point, and do have compassion for any driver/crew/family that does not get to race. I have seen OPCs get screwed as much if not more than drags.I say this because I've attend kneeldown races where the OPCs have been shafted in minimum run time.

The major hold up that I have observed is due to boats in the next heat not being ready to run as soon as the previous heat concludes.
---The following observations include but are not limited to all classes and at various venues, but numerous times:

**Drags finish a heat then sit at the end of the course 10-15 minutes while speeds of the heat are computed. Then cruise back to staging line.

** Drags finish the heat but the OPC crews have to travel by barge to start start finish line-15-20 minute delay.

**Water is rough due to wind. In lieu of letting the class that can run in rougher water, all races put on hold till wind dies down.

** Kneeldowns finish a heat then wait 10-15 minutes while other boats are still on shore or not ready to run.

**The kneeldowns have a saying, " Boats must be in the water, drivers in boats, hand on rope." Yet that very same goal is violated at least 80-90% of the time.

As you can see, all parties are guilty to one degree or another..

But, like with an orchestra- without the conductor (in this case race directors)-- the music sounds like crap and the odds of a driver getting screwed very high.

Bottom line....Improved Time management and compassion for others will start bringing back the one's that race for the love of the sport.

marc

spn#43
08-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Hot Shot Merc
As for you SPN #43 I wish you would get over my past staements that you keep talking about (my past replys about not wanting to race at eustis with roundy rouds)and being one minded or whatever.I have more love for the opc's,champ boats,etc than you give me credit for.I have no problem with them,you or anybody that drives a roundy round boat.Opc drivers and crews have helped me in the past get my stuff running and have been respected greatly by me.
We dont need this friction in our sport.Lets start over with our attitudes and realize that other people have different intrests and views.Peace out Hot Shot!:cool:
:) :)
Rob
Thanks for a really classy post.
I hope we can meet at one of the races and have a cold one.
Peace
Page:)

Hot Shot Merc
08-12-2004, 06:25 PM
:cool:

captcarb
08-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Don't forget that a bunch of inboards drag boat were at Eustis, so the number of boats was more than you mentioned. I don't have the numbers in front of me right now.

Part of the improvment was the addition of the hold line. This allowed the whole class to be ready near the start line, and the next class could be in the water if necessary. Hopefully, the flow will be even more improved in the fall race.

The inboard guys liked the way the race went for them. There will be even more inboards at the fall race and they are bringing their timing equipment. So, if you race, they can give you your time now.

Jim

gdfatha
08-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by captcarb
Don't forget that a bunch of inboards drag boat were at Eustis, - - - - -The inboard guys liked the way the race went for them. There will be even more inboards at the fall race and they are bringing their timing equipment. So, if you race, they can give you your time now.

Jim

Advertising the inboards will add to the fan base draw. Even at San Diego during the Unlimited Hydro races, no matter what class was racing in front of the beach crowd, or durinin intermission, ALL heads turned toward the east where the inboard drags were shooting of the line in the cove.

Hot Shot Merc
08-18-2004, 08:09 PM
You carboat guys put on a killer show.I loved what little of your racing I did get to see.Hope ya come back and the time equipment would be cool as well.

Tango
08-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Well here is a post I can actually put more than my regular .02c in.

I recently moved from Houston a year ago to Savannah and I would LOVE to see some SST or F1 action here. Hell, I might even buy a boat and race now that I can afford one.

The SST120 boat in my avatar was moi' at my first event. I actually went home with a check for $250.00 and was third from last place. In my opinion I came in first place because EVERYONE was betting that I would blowover. They know how I race cars and sometimes the ego gets the best of me.

I made all practices, heats, qualifying and the main without incident. I cannot even remember how many laps it was except for the 30 lap Main Event that I was brutally waiting for the checkered flag.

I have raced professionally almost every type of car built. I have run Sebring 12 hours, Daytona 24 and many other enduro and sprint road racing events. NOTHING is as physically and mentally brutal as SST120 or F1 boat racing... Nothing!

There are a group of guys in Texas, the Schuberts who are doing their true best to keep this sport alive. Problems I saw were the conflicting dates and schedules between the two and sometimes THREE OPC sanctioning bodies. If everyone could get on the same page, this sport would thrive. Some people would not travel short distances just because they did not like that so-and-so was running the event.

Can't we all just get along?

http://www.davidawilks.com/images/GordieBouyx-632x319.jpg

http://www.davidawilks.com/images/Glyn07x-632x421.jpg

http://www.davidawilks.com/images/RUBE01x-627x351.jpg

http://www.davidawilks.com/images/Torrente03x-573x275.jpg

One of my Favorites...
http://www.davidawilks.com/images/VinceCheckeredx-626x589.jpg

http://www.davidawilks.com/images/crash1.jpg

http://www.davidawilks.com/images/delaune.jpg

http://www.davidawilks.com/images/fansStart.jpg

http://www.davidawilks.com/images/flyingboat.jpg

spn#43