PDA

View Full Version : Data recovery

spn#43
07-28-2004, 06:04 PM
:( :( My computer picked up some weird virus that prohibited hard drive to boot up, so I had to get a new hard drive, but what really sucks is that I lost all my files and bookmarks so it really, really SUCKS…anyway, does anyone know how to recover my old crap from old hard drive?
Please help .
:( :(

BarryStrawn
07-28-2004, 07:12 PM
If you still have the old disk it shouldn't be too difficult.

What operating system are you running now? And what operating system was on the old disk?

spn#43
07-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Windows XP professional, old and new drive.

Karl817
07-28-2004, 09:07 PM
First make absolutely positive your new computer has antivirus active and updated.
Crack open the old computer and take the hard disk out. Look at the jumpers. There's 3 positions the jumpers can configure the disk, CS for Cable Select, MA for Master Disk, SL for Slave Disk. It's probably set for Cable Select which is probably OK.
You then gotta open up the new computer (Disconnect the power cable from the back of the CPU box.) and follow the cable from the new hard disk to the motherboard. There may or may not be a secondary connector on that cable. If there is figure out how to put the 2nd hard disk in and attach the cable to it as the 2nd disk. (The cable is keyed.) If there isn't a 2nd connector then look at the cable running up to the CD drive. If there's a secondary connector the hook it up there. Make sure nothing is gonna short nothing out! Not to forget the power connector.
Boot the computer - the computer will tell you about the new hard disk and want to update the BIOS - Press F1 to update it.
Then the old disk should come up as the D: drive. (If all that don't work you may need to changed the jumpers to SL and try again.)
Scan everything for virus - don't bother to quarantene just tell it to Cure or Delete.
Now to get to your old data - what is the NEW-OS and what is the OLD-OS?