PDA

View Full Version : Dual cable steering

Glenn
05-10-2001, 03:57 PM
Just installed a Teleflex NFB Pro dual cable setup on my Vision a week ago. The install manual says NOT to grease the the rods. Apperently they are suposed to be pre-lubed from factory. Friend also warned me that they could "hydraulic" if I greased them up too much. I find it hard to believe they don't need some grease. Any feedback on what I should do would be apriciated. Thanks, Glenn

Hank W
05-14-2001, 09:11 AM
Glenn,
I recently installed a new Teleflex non-NFB systen on my Viper. Mine said the same.I will tell you that if it has a grease fitting on the cable & you ever do grease it to make sure that the cable is turned so that it is completely retracted. years ago I lubed my Ride Guide single cable steering while it was in the "straight ahead" position and it locked up tight. Took some work to get the excess grease out.I am just going to keep an eye on mine for signs of drying out, if it does I will lightly grease the outside of the rams.

Glenn
05-14-2001, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the reply Hank. Friend told me this same sort of lock up thing happend to him. I'm reluctant to throw any grease on those rods. Maybe a light lubricant? They are as you say greased on the inside. How much play do you have in your steering? I adjusted the front cable just enough to get the slack out. Still have play in the helm but am told that a small amount is normal and this is how the clutch mechanism works. The old seized up Teleflex sytem I had in there also had the same "play" in the helm. You don't notice it at speed though. Glenn

Hank W
05-14-2001, 10:17 PM
Glen,
I have very little play in my steering, I tightened the front cable enough until it was binding a bit, then loosened it until it quit binding. I don't know if that is the best way but it worked for me. But anything is better than the slop I had w/ my 25 year old single cable Ride Guide! Do you have solid mounts? If you don't they make a huge difference. I drove my Viper for over 20 years with soft mounts and single steering...man what a difference!