PDA

View Full Version : v-drive vs. jet drive

gijoe
07-25-2004, 08:18 PM
hi, i was just wondering which one will give you better performance and better top speed. Also what are the pros and cons of a v-drive and jet drive. thank

jetdrive
07-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Hay How are ya.

I asked the same question. The easy way to understand top speed and how it relates too thies differnt drive systems, is to look at how they use water friction.
When you are using a propeller ( screw ) like a v-drive it's called primary water friction. and with only a drive shaft, log bushing and rudder in the water you have vary little drag. ( drag is bad for top speed ) In most cases a v-drive will be faster at the top end,( not all though ) Due to the propellers direct contact with the water. The real draw back to the v-drive is water depth, as the drive shaft is fix'ed under the boat. The other is STUFF, stuff that floats and stuff that almost floats. A v-drive can be fun and if you are careless thay can be dangrous and expencive.

Now for my favorite. The jet drive, dependable relyable and simple. All jets use secondary water friction. That means the pump intakes water from under the boat and blasts it out threw a nozzel were it is used as thrust to move the boat. To make a jet boat backup we simply use a reverse bucket and bend the flow under the boat and to steer a scond nozzel bends the water side to side. There are two kinds of jet drives. Axle flow and pressure bowl. Axle flow is the one I use they have 1,2 or 3 impellers called stages and produce more suction. A bowl pump has 1 impeller and much less suction and tend to be more prone to plugging. I feed my 3 stage scott pump dirty water sand, rocks, sticks and with a little grease and care it gives me no trouble. Even gets great gas milage and runs in as little as 3 ins. of water.

Hope that helped
jetdrive

KIBBEY
07-29-2004, 11:03 PM
jets are nice,but you need alot of power to make them move.alot of power means alot more money.i would look for something like a 18'-20' hondo hall,nice and fast.with a stock 454 with tunnal ram should run around 100mph give or take 1 or 2mph.

jetdrive
08-02-2004, 04:30 AM
Hay KIBBEY

How about a 19' Hondo pickle fork with a 427 chev , tunnel ram? Like my old boat. It ran 104 on raidar, and had a Dominator pump with a place diverter. The boat only had 675 hp.
Your rite about 100 mph on water but I have found most people need to be tought how to handle speed like that. For most people 70 is almost to fast and they swear it was over 100.
So with the thrill of 70 still fresh in their mind, we show them what that extra 30 mph feels like. At 70 they yell things like OH YA , YA , YA GO GO!!! But at 100+ they start yelling some thing like OH MY GOD, HOLY *#@*: , JESUS CHRIST, #!*%@*! ME!!!!!!!
Thats why I think God must live in that 30 mph gap, So for guys like us doing 100+ on water is like going to church. But for the first timer its proof positve with no doubt we are truly nuts!

jetdrive:D

A-craftdrvr
10-17-2004, 08:37 PM
AMEN TO THAT.I JUST LOVE SEEING THE LOOK ON SOME HERO'S FACE WHEN YOU COME UP BESIDE HIM AND HIS 90MPH NEW BOAT(HE CLAIMS) WHILE MY GPS IS ONLY READING ABOUT 65,AND WAVE GOODBYE AS YOU DROP THE HAMMER AND HEAD OFF TO THE TRIPLE DIGIT HIGH:cool:

inspectorlance
10-17-2004, 10:06 PM
I do love the roar of the big block, and the idea of a V-drive.I have considered picking up one for a project.
BUT , Is a V-Drive flat bottom as dangerous as I have heard at 90 or 100 mph ???

Lance

Techno
10-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Something that wasn't mentioned is on a vee drive isn't there a cavitation plate or whatever its called? Like a trim tab but it isn't a trim tab?
A vee drive also has a gear box up around you too don't it?

inspectorlance
10-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Ya sure are close to the gearbox. allmost right on top of it.

Unchained
10-24-2004, 09:40 AM
There are pros and cons to both drives.

As far as ultimate top speed the Vdrives will almost always be faster.
Most time the jets will accelerate quicker up to about 120 mph.

However a flatbottom is bar none the roughest riding boat you could buy. Also most have no reverse and have to be started in gear.

At the Hardy Party I talked to a guy who had just taken a ride in a flatbottom.
He said "I always wanted to go for a ride in a flatbottom but not own one, Now, I don't want to ride in one or own one either, my nuts won't be the same for weeks"
Some guys still love them anyways.

I have owned several boats and I feel the tunnel hull jet is the best all around boat.
The ride with the tunnel hull is great and the jet drive is extremely reliable. I am running the same stainless impeller as 5 years ago and it still looks like new.

From what I've seen at the drags the tunnel jets run real competitive in down to the 8 sec class against the vdrives with comparable power.
I've seen guys running the same hull I have run in the 7s at 140 mph.

I've tuned my boat to run over 100 in the 1/8 mile as well as be capable of recreational use. I put over 40 hours use on it this season and had some great fun with it.

http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/clam river2.jpg

Yamaha 225
10-31-2004, 05:59 PM
Awesome boat!!

Can you PLEASE post some more pics and do some video so we can have a new thing to watch in the winter! And the sound of that boat must be wild?? :rolleyes:

Techno
10-31-2004, 06:13 PM
Unchained, isn't jet drive supposed to mean IN the water?
You got 2 of em hangin off the engine!

Unchained
11-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Yamaha 225
Awesome boat!!

Can you PLEASE post some more pics and do some video so we can have a new thing to watch in the winter! And the sound of that boat must be wild?? :rolleyes:

A few threads down under "gale banks twin turbo" I posted a picture and a description.

I have several pictures on, http://www.hotboat.com/image_center/showgallery.php?ppuser=220&cat=500

Here's a video,
http://www.michiganhotboats.com/images/tuningvideo1.MPG

I had so much fun with it this year that now that the seasons done I'm going through boating withdrawl. :(

Techno, I rigged up this afterburner setup so I could try to keep up with the outboreds. :rolleyes:

http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/Afterburner.jpg

Techno
11-02-2004, 06:23 PM
THere are 3 things wrong with that picture.
Your in a no parking zone.
Your whadd ma callit is satin aluminum and isn't polished. The thinger that throws the water out.
Your auxuillery drive has a plastic prop and not a SS prop on it.:p

Well 4- I don't own it:(

150aintenuff
01-25-2005, 12:32 PM
AAHHHH so the secret is revield on how unchained makes those 100MPH 1/8th mile blasts... he is a prop drive after all.....:D:D....... only problem i see is all that prop slip must kill ya.... definatly need stainless and ya might see 140:p:p

if ya rig it up to 36 V you might see 150 :p

just couldnt resist......

KIBBEY
01-25-2005, 02:07 PM
was that at hardy dam,looks like the river alittle bit,those flatbottems are a rough ride, :eek: but when it comes down too it i'll go with v-drive any day over a jet.now that i'm down on a lake i'm thinking about selling my lightning to invest in a v-drive,so if any one knows of any good deals let me know.thanks.. i hate these winters,i haveing those same withdrawls :(

ken medendorp
01-25-2005, 02:10 PM
was that at hardy dam,looks like the river alittle bit,those flatbottems are a rough ride, :eek: but when it comes down too it i'll go with v-drive any day over a jet.now that i'm down on a lake i'm thinking about selling my lightning to invest in a v-drive,so if any one knows of any good deals let me know.thanks.. i hate these winters,i haveing those same withdrawls :(

How much ffor the Lightning Jason

KIBBEY
01-25-2005, 04:54 PM
not sure,i would have too find an nother boat to buy before i put a price on her..but if i find one i can get ahold of you frist,you still going to be down on the lake this year,i'm reating that house from tony right there on park drive..

Unchained
01-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Jim Bracewell has a pretty nice Sanger flatbottom for sale.
His number is 248 797 3665

http://www.michiganhotboats.com/gallery/albums/album03/DSC00132.sized.jpg

speed master
02-10-2005, 12:48 PM
You put that egg beater on it, the bass boys will want it. Hell, with an 18" chop @ 100+ it doesn' matter if you've got a tunnel, an mtv or a flat!!!!

speed master
02-10-2005, 02:49 PM
I was referring to UNCHAINED, . So, MTR, MTV , refrigerator, or a brick: If you got the balls to keep your leg in it and the right air under the boat the ride is good @100+! gotta go down to the shop now. I'm supposed to get my new to me 704" Donavan block chevy today.