PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help With A 280

tonye
05-10-2001, 02:59 PM
My 280 sounds like it's missing when coming out of the hole when its cold. After I run it for awhile it does fine. Iv'e replaced the plugs, checked the tpi (ok), hooked her up to the comp and did the self test and everything checks out. What do you guys think?

BTW: It does this whether I idle around to warm up or just hit it right off the trailor.

Dewey
05-10-2001, 05:46 PM
Tonye,
My 2.5 260 did the same thing to me the other day. The guys at the shop said the reeds were bad, but I don't believe them. I am thinking fuel delivery. Either from sitting or something. Let me know what you find out.

Euroski
05-10-2001, 05:58 PM
How many hours you have on your 280? Mine just passed the 68 hour and before hitting the water I changed the final fuel filter which I think made it run better...

Dewey
05-10-2001, 06:47 PM
About 17 hours total.

Techno
05-10-2001, 07:43 PM
It might be the plug wires. I say might because it goes away after it's warm. I think Euroski mentioned in a long ago post about spraying water on them with a spray bottle.

tonye
05-10-2001, 08:55 PM
I've got about the same hours yours does and I did replace the fuel filter a couple of weeks ago. I think I'll try the plug wires.

myron
05-10-2001, 09:06 PM
Tonye, I think what you are seeing is the oil residue, after your motor has sat and the fuel evaporated there is oil left there so when you first start your motor it is basically oil rich, then when you get on it the first time it cleans it out that is why it does not do that afterwards. I wouldn't think that the plug wires would be bad so soon.

Blade
05-10-2001, 09:27 PM
a buddy of mine just went through the same thing on his 3 litre. if you still have stock fuel pump on yours check the diaphram.had his boat to 2 dealers and half the summer last year over a hole in diaphram that we finally found.replaced it and the missing out of the hole quit!!!

Euroski
05-11-2001, 06:03 AM
Before buying the wires this is how I would check them. Check each wire with a ohm meter and look for one that is way high on resistance. Also spraying the wire with water would tell if the insulation is poor causing a miss. Almost forgot what was said in the last message when the fuel evaporates and leaves the oil behind. Mine does that too and is a real pain if you need to idle for awhile after doing a start. Yes I run synthetic at 40:1. So what I do if I can't get the rpm up quickly is run the engine at 2500rpm for about 20 seconds to clean it out(?).

ATTN Blade: the 280 use electric fuel pumps...

tonye
05-11-2001, 08:54 AM
I agree the oil is a pain, I am not a real big fan of champion spark plugs either. Thanks guys for your responses, I look at the wires and put up with the oil. I wonder if the 260 guys have this problem?

Dewey
05-11-2001, 09:37 AM
Yes, mine does the same thing.

crowfly
05-11-2001, 01:17 PM
It's Just a little cold and loaded up. Blow it out real good & don't worry about it. It ain't a fishin' motor. It's slightly tempermental but that goes with the territory.
P.S. don't go looking for a diaphram type pump on the side of your motor either, (it ain't there).