PDA

View Full Version : Blarney Island, 7/15/04

Dyno Don
07-19-2004, 08:45 AM
Was at the Island last Thurs. night. That was a blast. Had the best seat on the docks, way out on the end, right behind Captain Rod's salvage boat. Checked out all the hardware ahead of time. Kirk, I hung around your boat for awhile but nobody walked over.....sorry. Very imaginative intake cowling customization on your Riot. I even asked a couple of people inside if they know Kaptain Kirk but they were drunk and did not know you. Talked with Red/White Allison "JEFF" for a qbit and later helped his gal (very pretty) take photos as he drove the **** out of his SS-2000 and won his class. The water at the finish liune looked choppy. Racer X ran well with his crazy DR-20 with the trick intake. Could not tell at the time who won that class, was it the quartermaster? Kris Sheppard looked very fast in warmups but had a slow start in one run. His midtrack acceleration was impressive...I am assuming there was a sleeved down 2.5 on that boat so he was short on cc's compared to everybody else..

Dyno Don
07-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Cut myself off too soon.

Talked with the yellow XR-2002 guy for awhile as well. He got nailed at weigh in and had multiple bags of lead in his boat....250 or 300 lbs I think he said. Good thing he was a light dude......he ran very hard but got taken out, love that XR style though. Did not catch many names, sorry, all the boats I looked at were auesome.

The poorest showing clearly came from Captains Rod's salvage boat. An inboard boat, must have been Casey Jones (educated guess), delamed part of his left sponson and was taking water. Since there is no actual land @ Blarney Island there is no place to beach. He pulled up to the salvage boat, 20 ft away, waving for help. No dice from Captain Rods boat. Most of the crew were finishing the BBQ they had been having, and two of them were at the bar. The guy with the bullhorn had spent most of his prep. time hooting at some women trying to get them to show some skin I guess. What a joke. Casey helplessly crawled out on his deck as the boat disapeared underneath him. Casey probably would have sank anyway but the salvage boat was no way ready for anything. I actually helped Casey more than the salvage boat, helping him get his helmet & gear off and onto the dock while he tried to save what was left of his boat in chest deep water. Then Captain Rod & crew tried to lift the sunken boat by the boweye.....giant V-8 + water in the back remember. I dont know how they did't pull the boweye out. I was certain somebody was going to be seriously hurt right in front of us. Then their hoist ran out of gas right away, nice prep work. We left while they were still in the water, ruining this boat. Sorry Captain Rod, you get only 1 out of 10. If you are gonna have the best dock spot, you should be more ready. Other than that unfortunate incident, races were excellent, everybody ran hard and had fun I think. Way to go Allison SS-2000 Jeff, Lake Racer winner!

john w
07-19-2004, 10:32 AM
THEY NEED A LITTLE HELP IN BOAT RECOVERY.

Dyno Don
07-19-2004, 11:26 AM
John:
Did you see that mess? The whole thing unfolded 20 ft in front of us. Nothing personal against Captain Rod but he needs a better plan. Besides the boat loss, it was amazing that nobody else got hurt, many fingers were were in very bad places. My advice for those who run regularly @ Blarney would be to spend some time with Captain Rod somewhere non-threatening and coach him on what (and what not) to do. Maybe even practice with a junk boat. He had nice equipment for that type of thing it seemed. Having a crew alert and ready with a clear command structure would be my first advice. Did they get it out without breaking the bow off?
All the regulars around me said the "other" guy was much better. I guess the "other" guy is retired now so Captain Rod needs some help to get sorted out.

WARLOCK
07-19-2004, 12:43 PM
They need help in keeping thier crew ready and not in the bar of food areas. If something were to really happen, I feel sorry for the driver and boat. Other than watching that fiasco, it was a sweet night out there. Many sights to see! Later, Dave

tripledude
07-19-2004, 01:24 PM
...and I'll bet you didn't even get ONE picture.:( :mad:

WARLOCK
07-20-2004, 12:48 PM
If I take pictures, then thats proof to my wife that I'm lookin'. Besides, it's hard to drink and hold a camera at the same time. Later, Dave

tripledude
07-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Jeff said there was a LOT of exposin' going on. Just take the pics and blame on him.:cool:

Jono
07-20-2004, 08:00 PM
You missed captain rods performance the week before. A boat stuffed at the end of the track, Captain Rods crew had to get off the dance floor to get to the crane boat. Last week they were probably having problems moving the grill out of the way to get the winch ready. I am a firefighter paramedic if we did our stand by's like captain rods it would not be a good thing for the people we are supposed to help!!!! I hope to god that I never neeed that crane for my own rescue!!!!!!

john w
07-20-2004, 10:44 PM
YOU ARE NOT KIDDING.

KaptainKirk
07-20-2004, 10:48 PM
needs ta be brought up at the drivers meeting.....I will not be there this week going north to bttw.

don't wait ta voice a protest about this please...the life you save may be your own!!

Sorry ta miss ya Don!!

K.K.

aircraftman
07-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Your not goin to the island,---Bitch!

ill be at balz on wed, leave@ 3 and go to island, race, sleep and be back at balz on fri!!!'

crash at my place and race!!!

call me!

KaptainKirk
07-20-2004, 11:05 PM
some of us can't drive after 6 p.m.

Plus I think I popped another solenoid.

So unless ya coming up with a tow driver for me by tomorrow night(I pay well).
Plus I have alot else on the table....I will call ya in the a.m.
WE NEED TA TALK....find out schedule at the shop for me ta get in for work:)

K.K.

Unchained
08-30-2004, 05:59 PM
A friend just sent me this picture from Blarneys on 7 / 15

I'm idling by while their hoisting the yellow boat off the bottom.

http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/Blarneyislandsinker.jpg

Dyno Don
08-31-2004, 01:39 PM
Right above the "A" in Captain...Red Allison hat, white Allison shirt. The guy in the white shorts seemed to be part owner of the boat. See the guy with his hands on the L sponson, he is getting ready to pull down on that as hard as he can, then the others join him until the boat starts to make cracking noises. Thanks for the help guys......... That brings the owner back over and so on and so forth.................the sideshow got a bit distracting.