PDA

View Full Version : Paint or gell the hull

Euroski
07-15-2004, 07:28 PM
What's the difference if the hull been repainted or re-gelled? Comments on the good and bad of each way welcomed.

Fast Shafts
07-21-2004, 02:55 PM
This is often a highly debated topic. I prefer Gelcoat. If you are going to leave the boat in the water, Gelcoat does not blister or peel.
I purchased a boat that was painted with Imron, after several days in the water (salt) the imron started to "peel".
It is more labor intense to do a Gelcoat job then a paint job, however, there are more shops that will paint then Gelcoat.

spanky2002
07-23-2004, 07:49 PM
what's the average cost to re-gel?

Fast Shafts
07-25-2004, 07:56 AM
I had a 28' Magnum, I payed to have the sides (not the bottom and deck) sprayed with Gelcoat. I payed $ 900.00 , and then sanded and buffed it out myself.
If you can find someone to spray the boat with gelcoat, and then sand/buff it yourself, you will save ALOT of money.

Redbullet
02-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Imron makes different paints. Standard automotive type and a 5000 and a 6000 high solid paint that is really tough stuff. The 6000 high solid would be a good boat paint.

Trikki1010
02-27-2005, 04:37 AM
Gel Vs. Paint

Your better off doing a search this wildly discussed topic.

Properly applied Gelcoat will never be replaced by paint on bottoms (Npartin, If your into bottom paint, your on the wrong website) .

Factory Gel is applied to the mold where it cures less pourous. Regelling a boat always leaves a product that will be inferior to the original Gelcoat, BUT, on the bottom will last longer than paint.

Paint just isn't "up to snuff" YET, when fully submerged, but works wonders topside. That's why ya see all the white bottoms and artistic tops ;)

150aintenuff
02-27-2005, 03:10 PM
I am a gel fan 100% but I also have to work on larger yearly moored boats and the only good way to keep new gel form re blistering is a good sealer but most people want "antifouling paint".... ... believe me i know paint doesnt hold up very well under water but it works for a temperary stopgap after repairs have been made... and it is reletivly CHEAP to repaint to look purty again.. is it right... no but unfortunatly most of the people I have had as customers are CHEAP tight walleted PITA's

for my boat it only gets gelcoat... no paint.... but my hull is like most others here... sits on the trailer high and dry when not in use...

beer30
02-27-2005, 03:41 PM
I think that you have to know your s#$t to do gel, I know paint so that what I used. Came out real good, but you have to be REAL CAREFUL, when your docking or anything that will come up against the boat. If money is no object, then by all means do it in gel. Just make sure the person knows what they doing. Chuck

150aintenuff
02-27-2005, 10:44 PM
agreed... gel work is way harder than paint to do correctly... but the benifits are huge if correct.... if not it is no better than paint...