PDA

View Full Version : 303 protectant

northeastcat
07-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Just hand sanded the gel with 2000 and will finish buffing tonight with ultra fine compound and a foam wheel . Wondering if I should wax it or use 303 protectant . I'm leaning towards 303 but thinking wax will last longer between applications.

PARKER RABE
07-20-2004, 09:30 AM
303 for vinyl

SKATER241
07-20-2004, 10:06 AM
SINCE YOU SAID YOU SANDED THE GEL I AM ASSUMING YOU ARE DEALING WITH FIBERGLASS.IF SO,YOU WILL WANT TO USE WAX.THE REASON IS THIS.GEL COAT HAS NO INHERENT UV PROTECTION.THAT IS WHY IT FADES IN SUNLIGHT.WAX IS A UV PROTECTANT AND WILL HELP TO KEEP YOUR GEL FROM FADING.

northeastcat
07-20-2004, 11:31 AM
It is a kevlar/fiberglass layup. I did end up using caracanuba wax with an orbital waxer , boat now looks awsome.:D
303 does work well with fiberglass and gel coats too though. I know of a few poeple whos boats were not that bad , finish wise, and have been using 303 for a few years with great results.

W. Tripp
08-04-2005, 11:15 AM
303 is a fantastic vinyl protectant and cleaner. It does a great job of blocking UV. But it does not protect gel coat or paint. It shines a lot due to the amount of silicone in it. Silicone glues dust to the finish.

Many carnuba waxes also contain silicone as a shine enhancer. But after about 3 days of sitting in the hot sunwhile using the boat, the carnuba evaporates, and the shine is reduced greatly.

If you ever want to paint over a boat or car that has used silicone over the gel or paint, it is extremely hard to get out of the pores of the finish. If it is not all completely removed the paint will fish-eye, orange peel, or bubble.

The newer polymer waxes protect the finish and last a long time. Many do not use silicone to enhance the shine. If you haven't tried Zaino Brother's wax yet, I highly recommend it. It is optically pure, and actually protects the finish. In fact, I know many guys that use it in their show cars and rods. I have yet to find anything that shines as well, and for as long, as Zaino on the House of Kolors paint job on my drag boat.

www.zainostore.com (http://www.zainostore.com)

I hope this helps.

1BadAction
08-04-2005, 11:22 AM
yep... zaino on my GTO from the day it was delivered. nothing compares.

pyro
08-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Spend a LOT of time going over it with Meguiar's Machine Glaze on a ROTARY buffer (not orbital/DA) with a soft, fine foam wheel. As it buffs it dry and stalls the buffer, spray a little water on it to re-wet it, keep plenty of stuff on the wheel. It will absolutely glaze it out to glass-perfection, removing every last fine bit of swirl. Do this BEFORE you wax it, and the results will be astonishing.

-Chad

W. Tripp
08-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Pyro,

What is the grit of the Meguire's Machine glaze?

I use 3M Finess-It II - 3500 grit
and finish with 3M Hand Glaze for Dark Finishes - 6000 grit
Wax with Zaino Z-2 Pro With ZFX for a brilliant shine. Clay bar or clay putty and reapply Z-2 every 3-4 months. All it takes is a wipedown with Z-6 gloss enhancer spray after washing every race.

Once a year up keep like this usually keeps the finish looking like new.

sho305
08-04-2005, 02:28 PM
When I painted cars we had 20+ different kinds of stuff. Even a different color with the same clear would want a different type of polish. I agree with Pyro as on black cars, the hardest to do, I often had better luck keeping the wheel wet and not letting it dry out (with final polish). Then finish removing by hand with a polishing cloth, or sometimes wash the car with a polishing cloth. We never waxed due to the fresh paint. I used polish (non-wax) on my cars for years with great results but then clear coat is pretty resistant to UV. Now I use turtle wax caranuba as it lasts a long time. I used that on the boat too, but I keep it out of the sun mostly. I wheeled that with soft scrub to bring it up, then used a polish, then wax. I was never a big believer of wax doing that much for you, but that is just IMHO. Certainly worth using considering the low cost and a few calories burnt.

Soft scrub works great on faded gel as a first step (& is cheap & can mix with coarse compound), though wet sanding might be needed too. I also have this stuff called Ting (I think), it is a compound type wash for flexable parts to prep for painting. It will take the dead gel off kind of like 1500-2000 grit as well as washing it at the same time. Wipe it on good (it is a paste like hand cleaner) and rinse, then hit with a finer polish...or softscrub if nasty fade is present. I've used all kinds of stuff and every time I never know what final polish will work best, that is where it gets picky. The softscrub or a mixture with coarse compound seems to work the best on fiberglass for the initial rub with a wheel. I can never get plain cutting compound to cut fast enough for me. I never had luck with a orbital except with wax. I like a wheel you can slow down pretty slow to rub, then end up fast to polish most of the time, not always.

Hottrucks
08-05-2005, 07:28 AM
The thing I have used to buff gel before wax is wetted "Bonani" ( Kinda like ajax) But if you look its made from egg shells( got a chicken on the cantainer ) "never scratched and never will" thats there moto. This stuff kicks azz and you can wash any thing with it if your going to cover it with soming else..( like wax) Just a wash will help get so much stuff out of the pores of the paint and Glass when you wash. I just use alot of water and really scrub the crap out of it like I said just plan on waxing when your done. This seems to be a great spring cleaning techneque. Just make sure you rinse it real well or you'll end up with reisidue all over. This is what some detailers use it will clean glass, aluminum and chrome like nothing you've seen. I am now using the new polimer waxs and like what I see also easy on and off.

Another hint for car guys ( will work for campers etc. too) is after your done with your ride and your heading out on a long trip spray the front ( the bug areas) with Pam. Just before you get to the show or where your visiting just hit it with a light soap ( or car wash) and all the road scum and bugs just slide off as for the pam it rinses off real easy. You can show up with one arm out the window looking real cool after your big trip and it won't fall off because of all the scrubbing to get the sh*t off the front... Oh yea spray your fender and wheel well before you do that big burn out too.

I guess Ive gone to too many show and drags???

sho305
08-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Trailers, that reminds me of something. Some retired inlaws got a trailer in FL and they say most the people in the park there use mop-n-glo on their trailers to keep them looking shiney. I have not tried it outside yet, I know it will not do much for my kitchen floor its too far gone:) I did buff a spot with compound and it came up but it was too much work, replacement is on the to-do list. The wheel kept sticking to it.

Hottrucks
08-05-2005, 03:05 PM
My buddy uses funiture polish to keep the black steaks off his camper ( where the water runs off it) Works well from what I can see.. He keeps it up pretty well any way, He says waxing it is a pain in the ------- because of the ripples in the side so it only gets it once a year

northeastcat
08-05-2005, 11:24 PM
303 actually advertises as a gel coat protectant and their flyer that comes with it shows an off shore race boat as advertised use, that is why I was considering it at the time.
Me and BJ 'OLDSCHOOL' are going to be refinishing from the rub rail up this October before I store it for the winter. The clear coat that will be going on it will not require wax again. Cant wait for it to shine !!!! :cool:
I'll be sure to take some before and after pics to post when finished.

Hottrucks
08-07-2005, 07:27 AM
SHeeet If you get half the shine Old school gets that thing will be Gleem'n so much you'll need sunglasses at Night???