PDA

View Full Version : Removing spyware crap?

Flashypaint
07-14-2004, 02:13 PM
I have tried removing spyware with spybot and adware and stinger programs . But i can not get rid of the damn ABout Blank search engine that keeps coming up . I tried changing my internet opions several times and the About Blank search keeps taking over. The other programs are stopping pop ups and work well but they wont remove the About blank.
I have norton anti virus but it doesnt work either.

Flash

Burke Kilgour
07-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Check that it isn't this:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/encyclopedia/ficha.aspx?iddeteccion=105595
This drove me nuts for about a week and a half.
Good luck.

chynewalkr
07-14-2004, 04:31 PM
try CWSHREDDER, its free i had a similar problem, man it was a pain to remove
good luck

Flashypaint
07-14-2004, 04:33 PM
So how do i get rid of it , got any suggestions.
That thing has been poping up for a month now.

Thanks
Jeff

chynewalkr
07-14-2004, 05:26 PM
i guess i should have been more clear. download CWSHREDDER, its a small application that removes those homepage hijaking virus things

Burke Kilgour
07-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Follow the directions on the link I gave you under "prevention and cure". Use option "B" if you're not running Panda.
Worked like a charm for me.
I had this virus about a week and a half before any virus scans would pick it up. The online Panda was the first one to find something for me.

Burke Kilgour
07-14-2004, 07:21 PM
P.S...... I got this virus from answering "no" to a prompt asking me if I wanted to change my home page. I'd suggest x-ing out the prompt or closing it by right-clicking on it..........just a note for someone else that might get those prompts. That might help.

chris_lacey
07-19-2004, 07:44 AM
I got this piece of crap as well. Why go anywhere else, all of the answers are on Scream and Fly!
I'll get rid of it tonight.

Update, according to the instructions at Panda, I disabled system restore, ran their scan, and enabled restorte, but it was still there. So I used the tech info, at Panda, ran regedit, and deleted the lines that this virus wrote and the temp internet file that it wrote. That took care of it.

joey jamz
08-10-2004, 10:12 PM
first delete all cookies , ten go to my computer then C -documents and settings- user name -local settings . then delete all files in the temp , temp internet and history folders.

if you dont see local settings on top of the sceen you will see a tab called tools . go in there then options then veiw. you want to show hidden folders and files.

also go to control panel and see if the program was installed without you knowing (searchbar).

also donwload registry first add and run that.

that should fix it
if you need any programs give me a shout

thexboxking@hotmail.com

WharfRat
08-10-2004, 10:39 PM
following those steps will NOT remove all spyware, spyware writes to the registry & won't be removed in that process. You need a good program to do that and I highly recommend Adaware.
It is a FREE download that you can get from numerous places, I recommend www.cnet.com
I also use Pest Patrol, it ain't free but you can use a trial version.
Greg can add to this if need be

joey jamz
08-12-2004, 09:07 PM
"spyware writes to the registry & won't be removed in that process"

also donwload registry first aid and run that.

he has already tried spybot and adware. registry first aid will remove those reg. ent.

hakracing
08-14-2004, 05:00 AM
Next time,the best answer to easy your life while browsing is to use mozilla such as firefox.It provide user with pop blocker,ad blocker etc etc.Check them out.And one more thing,try cleaning those crapy spyware using the FREE Adware program.Try donwloading it at www.download.com.

stvhelm
08-14-2004, 08:48 AM
I just had the same problem with something taking over my homepage. I used all the spyware removal programs listed above. I erased all the on and offline temporary interent files / cookies and history folder. I ran the defrag and all that. nothing works better than "system restore" I just restored it back to a day i knew it was working good. Homepage is back to normal:D

us1
08-14-2004, 11:31 AM
I tryed a lot of different stuff and PestPatrol fixed all the Addware and Spyware problems I had.
http://pestpatrol.com/

Dinomite
08-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Try Spy Sweeper

http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/enterprise.php

I use this program and it is excellent!

Dean

Scream And Fly
08-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Search And Destroy is supposed to be the best, but be careful - it will sometimes flag things as spyware that are not.

Greg

alex88
06-17-2010, 02:38 PM
hey man, i had that spyware bugging me out for almost a week. Someone told me about KIS 7.
http://www.trustdownload.com/Antivirus-and-Spyware-Cleaners/Antivirus/Kaspersky-Internet-Security-7.0.html
try it because it is good!!!
Alex