PDA

View Full Version : Soldering

Blizz
07-09-2004, 12:27 AM
I read somewhere that you shouldn't solder your connections on a boat just curious cuz one of my avionics buudies says soldering is best lasts forever.Blizz

quickonstep
07-09-2004, 01:26 AM
personally, i solder everything, including the connection from the crimp connector to the wire... (some may call it a terminal) i dont trust crimp connections, and when ya buy ANYTHING for marine use that has wires on it, 99.9% of the time, the ends are tinned.

Jesse

baddjonny
07-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Just look at all the old merc controls and keyswitches that still work fine. Also by scrapping and tinning a wire that has the creeping green krud in it makes the wire usable again in a pinch and if I can't solder a crimp connecter I use penatrox conductive anticrossion grease. That stuf keeps dissimmaler metals from reacting to each other . I learned about this stuf from a electrician friend that repaired houses that were wired with alum wire and the cheap fix was a 1 foot pigtail of copper wire at each end and the penatrox was used to prevent a reaction between the copper and aluminum.

My 2

jon b

sho305
07-09-2004, 10:33 AM
There is some flux that can help corrosion grow, but I think soldering is best. Maybe certain solders might be better for marine use?

baddjonny
07-09-2004, 10:41 AM
As long as acid flux is not used I never had any trouble with erson or kester flux You can always clean it off with a little alcohol or flux remover.

jon b

Blizz
07-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys I was thinking that he knew what he was talking about but wanted to make sure and also said make sure you clean your joint with alcohol or flux remover or you will be guaranteed to have corrosion, and you very small amount so it will not flow under the insulation or it will get brittle and snap over time right at the insulation. Thanks again, Blizz

wing nut
08-30-2004, 02:23 PM
crimp the connector, solder it then put heat shrink tubing on. use ancor or another type that uses glue so when it heats up the glue seals it on both ends. normal heatshrink isnt all that gret for boats, it wont seal

scott

Boaterbum
10-01-2004, 12:16 AM
I agree, I as well solder everything, jut can't use 'acid core' on wires! (USE ROSIN CORE ONLY)I solder all my connections, then heat shrink over them, on the boat, I cover the heatshrink with that liquid electrical 'tape' stuff... works great......

Story
10-15-2004, 10:23 PM
If you are going to soldier, I would use silver solder. It is a little harder to work with but better stuff. Heat shrink would be next. There are some real cool butt conector that you crimp and put some heat to it and shrinks just like heat shrink. Watertight and you can't pull it apart. If you can't find them use solder. I helps with corrision.

Techno
10-16-2004, 06:08 PM
If your using marine wire then it isn't bare copper but already tinned against corrosion. My thinking, all this sealing is a waste of time since the wire is already somewhat protected. Like putting sealant on a ducks ass.:p

On the soldering the reason why is it introduces a hard point in the wire- even if done correctly.
I think a minor reason is the wires are supposed to have a mechanical binding system. Solder isn't mechanical.
If done incorrectly also wicks up the wire making it more solid wire and less flexible.
Again if done incorrectly provides both a bad connection and a bad grip- cold joint.

Crimp connectors are fine. Thats what they were made to do.:rolleyes:
Marine wiring code don't want you to solder connections.

Euroski
10-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Not too many years ago the trend was to solder wires but that has changed. I work for VW and about 4 years ago VW had a BIG push to go to crimp with special heat shrink connectors. This became the only approved way to do wiring and wiring repairs. VW even sent out to all it's dealers a $2000+ kit with connectors, pre-crimped special connectors for VW wiring, and a special heat gun along with wire cutter, crimpers, etc. I'm sure the other auto makers followed too.