PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to run Unlimited Outboard?

JTS Racing
07-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Looking for Unlimited's for the Augusta Southern Nationals next weekend, July 16,17,18, in Augusta Ga. Some rule changes are in place to allow any and all to run as long as safety tech is passed. NO MINUMUM WEIGHT. Got Nitrous? This is a PRO class, not a bracket. Who gets there first wins! This is an IHBA national event so the big dogs will be there. If interested, post a reply and I'll get you all the details and a contact person.

Jeff

Rodney Nance
07-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Jon Wright got a little behind on getting his motors done. So we are not going to make Augusta but will be in Gadsden the next weekend. Are you going to that race also? If so see you there.

Ray Neudecker
07-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Hey Rodney, Will see you in Gadsden. Pit parking may be a real problem there. Let me know if you want me to try to hold you a spot. I may not get there till Thursday evening but have someone local who will try to get us taken care of earlier in the week. Email or call ASAP if you haven't made arrangements. Good Luck at Augusta Jeff. We don't usually associate with the trailer trash Rodney, but Jon is an exception. Even though I have been barred from drinking any more Pink Panty pulldowns, we can find something to sub.

JTS Racing
07-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Fought some deamons this past weekend in the form of BAD fuel. Had fresh Sunoco out of a drum and the chit would not run. Lost 2 seconds with bogging, stumbling and no rpm. Everything checked out and the fuel was not considered as a problem. Changed plugs and modified the mid range fuel numbers for the second round of qualifying and did gain and thenth:rolleyes: As a last resort I switched to VP fuel. Ran a 9.3 @ 125 on Sunday. Not good enough to win, but did confirm what the problem was. Good thing I didn't spray it with that junk in the tank! Program numbers were off from trying to get the other fuel to run and timing was backed off due to not knowing what was going on. Anyhow, got it tore apart to make sure I didn't hurt anything. Don't think I can get it back together, run, and tuned in time for either of the two races.

Good luck to all.

Jeff

Fl Boy in ILL
07-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Jeff

I am interested in the fuel problems, I had heard there was a problem with "Citgo" but not with Sunoco?? I have 2 drums of 110 Sunoco and oone is about gone.

Thanks
Rick

JTS Racing
07-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Rick, don't know the problem yet. I called Gary Monday morning first thing and told him what happened. He is a small supplier that sells to the MX guys. Sells more of the 116 than the 110 and only keeps 2 drums of 116 and 1 of the 110 on hand so to keep fresher fuel. He wanted a sample of the fuel if I still had it......I did....and he would follow up from there. He keeps pretty good records of the fuel he sells and the batch numbers. Since the fuel was bought on Thursday of last week from a "fresh" drum (came in on Tuesday), he noted I was the only one that had fuel pumped from that drum. He marked it with a "do not sell" label, pulled a sample from it also, and said he would let me know the results.

This is the first time I have ever had problems with any race fuel and why it was a last resort of why the engine would not run. I to am curious of what he finds out.

Jeff

drag120
07-14-2004, 05:56 PM
I changed to Citgo 110 this year and at the races I lost 1100 rpm. When I mixed 4 gallons of 110 with 5 gallons 93 I gained 800 rpm back. I also heard from a good source that outboards should not run over 108 octane as it kills the rpm's. As the day got hotter it slowed me down too. He said to keep the octane 102-106 with 21 cc heads. He isn't fond of Av gas and that's what I used to use with 26 cc heads. I thought it odd that Jeff and I had the same symptoms but different fuels. I also found a little water in my ecu and dried it out at home. It fired right up after putting it back on, just my luck. Here's another note, my lake boat a with 2.4 and 21's was running the same gas and it lost 400 rpm. Now I put some 93 in that tank to see what it does. Tom

Pete Budka
09-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Good info. Tom.Should have tried this test on my stv before I sold it.

Pete

Unchained
09-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by drag120
I changed to Citgo 110 this year and at the races I lost 1100 rpm. When I mixed 4 gallons of 110 with 5 gallons 93 I gained 800 rpm back. I also heard from a good source that outboards should not run over 108 octane as it kills the rpm's. As the day got hotter it slowed me down too. He said to keep the octane 102-106 with 21 cc heads. He isn't fond of Av gas and that's what I used to use with 26 cc heads. Tom

The problem is that leaded race gas is a different specific gravity than unleaded pump gas.
I found this out on my boat after I had it tuned pretty well on pump gas and switched to race gas and it was so rich it wouldn't clean out.
Now I have two different fuel maps available in the ECU and can load a different map for each fuel type.

OK, so I'm not running an outboard but I still burn gas. :D

Mark

JTS Racing
09-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Sorry ya, I had forgot about this thread. The results of my fuel test revealed on over abundance of one of the additives. Don't recall the name and honesty I had to ask the guy at the store to pronounce it for me since it was longer than the alphabet. Being from TN does have it's flaws;)

I wasted near 20 gallons of fuel testing various blends. One of the largest factors to consider is flame speed. Pump fuels are designed for up to 7000 rpm. Race fuels are also designed for specific rpm use. I settled on Renegade 114 ultra pro mixed 2 gal to 2.5 gal of pump 93. The 4-1/2 gal blend with 16 ozs of Redline oil give me a 36-1 oil ratio. Gained .2 in the quarter and was able to set the limited at a lesser top rpm with great acceleration. This blend was also killer with the spray:eek: :D

Jeff

drag120
09-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks Mark and Jeff. I've settled on 1/2 110 and 93 together. I've been seeing 10K and I think my timing is low yet. I'm going to test a few "things" from Mr. Goodman this weekend (if you know what I mean):eek: . Getting ready for Jasper!! Spray, what's that (LOL)???? I'll be at Hardy Party on Sat with the "goodies". Tom