PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Lift Switch

Dirtbag
07-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Needed: Interesting idea for switch placement for my hydraulic jack plate. I bought the Teleflex Pro Trim system on the weekend, but it will not fit my wheel style, so I took it back.

Right now I have the stock lift switch on the dash, but I need to be able to control it while running. I do not have a foot throttle, and therefore need to have one hand on the throttle, and left hand on the wheel.

I was thinking of mounting some sort of switch onto the Shifter handle, just below the top. That way I could control the trim and lift switches with the same hand.

Any thoughts on this? Any other ideas? I know I could install the spiral cord type of wheel switch where the cord wraps around the wheel, but I am more interested in my idea to put a switch on the shifter/throttle handle. Any thoughts on this?

This is an old picture...the lift switch is currently mounted to the right of the wheel, where the cig lighter is in the picture.

stokernick
07-05-2004, 01:33 PM
My turn signal switch wouldn`t fit my steering wheel hub,so I just drilled the hole bigger and it fits and works fine.

chynewalkr
07-05-2004, 01:35 PM
turn signal teleflex wouldnt fit my style hub either i just drilled new holes.

Dirtbag
07-05-2004, 01:39 PM
I thought about drilling the center hole bigger, but there would still be nothing to screw the plate onto. My wheel is a tilt wheel, and when I pulled the wheel off, the base of the tilt assembly is hollow cast aluminum. I would have needed about 5" long screws, just to reach the dash......

Thanks for the idea, but still looking to see if anyone has ever mounted a switch on their throttle handle...

Dirtbag
07-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the link sswampratt..I've thought about foot controls, but still wondering about a switch on the shifter...may go that way if necessary though...

Rickracer
07-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Keeping both hands on the wheel, or at least being able to, is a good idea. Having to remove a hand to grab the throttle at a crucial time is a really bad idea. :eek:

Dirtbag
07-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Rickracer,

I guess there are a few reasons why I don't like foot throttles.

1. I use the boat for skiiing and for going fast. I have other people drive my boat to take me skiing, and they are used to hand throttles only.

2. Cost. Although a foot throttle is not a ton of money, I believe the new cables I would need are.

3. The boat is really just a cruiser. The boat is topping out at 71 right now, with no plans to make it any faster. It's a 20' pad V, and handles quite nicely, so I really don't have to have two hands on the wheel. our lake up here never gets too rough, so it's not like I'm jumping a ton of waves.

The issue is that with the 27 shooter I am running, the boat cavitates a lot getting out of the hole, so the jack plate has to be all the way down. Once I get the boat on plane, I need to jack it all the way up to run fast....

Weird thing is...my 24 shooter never cavitated as much.....go figure....

Burke Kilgour
07-05-2004, 04:12 PM
On my old BAJA I mounted a Land n Sea jackplate switch just below the trim switches. It worked OK, I had to take some of the shift handle apart to get the mounting screws in from the back side, but it wasn't too hard to do. I also had a "trailer" trim button there that I removed to do this.

Rickracer
07-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Burke's plan sounds usable, and probably your best bet. :cool:

Dirtbag
07-06-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks Burke, that is kinda what I am thinking. I have the original switch that came with the Jack Plate, and I am thinking that I could cut a hole in the side of the throttle arm, and epoxy the switch into the hole.....just not sure at this point how deep the switch is, and how much room I have within the throttle arm housing......I guess there's only one way to find out..

BTW, anyone have any thoughts on why a 27 shooter would cavitate, and a 23 shooter would not?....I do think my engine is making more power this year thanks to some repairs, (was possibly only running on 5 cylinders last year) but still...it is a big difference, and the Jack height is about the same as last year with the 23...very weird.....

FYI, I tried a 26 trophy, and could only rev to 5600, but the 27 Shooter revs to 6000...think it could be a warped blade or something that I can't see with the naked eye?

Appreciated gents...I love this forum!

merklebob
08-27-2004, 04:03 PM
i cut the telfex and bent 90 degrees and attached it to the hub. worked fine.

if you have hydralic steering use the three screws arround the shaft to mount the teleflex.