PDA

View Full Version : Loss of fuel @ speed

B.Mac
05-10-2001, 06:21 AM
2.0 or 2.4 Merc. stock fuel pump. Losing fuel after 5 seconds @ 4000 RPM. No restrictions or elbows. good water seperater in line. all fittings tight. Was missing 4th screw on pump have replaced. Good tank vent, ball stays hard even after stalling. 3/8" line to pump a little large for male hose fitting at pump. Squeezed to a pulp over fitting w steel clamp. Would slight air leak at pump or line cause such odd stalling? Im trying to dial in this new Vector and lose all power at 70 MPH. Really feels like fuel because I lose all cylinders almost simultaneously, except for a few remaining sputters at idle. Sometimes wont stall and recuperates at idle then does it again.? Help? B.Mac

[Edited by B.Mac on 05-10-2001 at 06:23 AM]

Greg Moss
05-10-2001, 07:14 AM
how is the tank vented? Is the diaphram in good shape? can you put a electric pump and another tank on it to try? Get a 6 gallan plastic tank and an electric pump hooked up to the carbs and try it that will elliminate every thing else but the carbs..How is the primer bulb? is the check valve in good shape? you may just want to change the primer and try it. They are cheap and an easy thing to change. Greg

MTCM
05-10-2001, 09:04 PM
Do not know what kind of tank arrangement you have but..........if you have the permanent or built-in tank....Check the fitting at the tank where the fuel hose connects. There may be a spring loaded ball-check valve (anti-siphon valve) in there. These are notorious for sticking and restricting flow. That diaphragm operated fuel pump is no match for a stuck anti-siphon valve. Remove it or replace it...up to you. As noted above, trying a small portable tank could at least help you eliminate any fuel tank issues. Good Luck.

MTCM

ODDD1
05-10-2001, 09:21 PM
If the ball stays hard and you have no restrictions to the carbs, it time to jet up. I've seen stock 2.0 liter 150's from the mid 80's jetted so lean[from factory] that i couldn't get a dyno run outta them.....just fall on their face...

Blade
05-10-2001, 09:38 PM
you can get a fitting to replace one at fuel pump with 3/8" hose barb at your local auto parts store.Will save you cracked hose later. DAN