PDA

View Full Version : How accurate are Teleflex Tachometers?

imq707s
07-02-2004, 03:21 PM
I bought a 0-7000rpm Teleflex tach for my boat (Vegas w/ 200GT). How accurate are these tachs? When it's reading 6200rpms, how much could it be off? Thanks

Liqui-Fly
07-02-2004, 03:25 PM
As long as you have it set on the correct setting. I have Teleflex gauges and my tach reads the same as my digitron and my ECU tach output (Taylor SDS).

David

sho305
07-02-2004, 03:45 PM
I bought one of the white ones, sportsman?, for my inline. Later I put a digital clamp tach on it and checked it idle to 5k rpm and it was right on. I think it does have a little screw to tweek it though.

Cp
07-02-2004, 09:00 PM
....but any tach can be off. Just because Fly's works good, don't assume yours does. If you really want to know what you're turning check it. Calibrate. Validate. Not just your tach.

lyle
07-03-2004, 12:31 AM
ive got a question put a telafex tack and it seam the tack is off im running a johnson v-6 looper with a v-4 stator and rectifer what should it be set at any help whould be aprecitated

baddjonny
07-03-2004, 09:24 AM
There should be a thread on this I had posted a schematic on this for a four stroke tach cal checker using a few resistors and a old lamp cord but it's only good at low rpm's.

my2
jon b

sho305
07-05-2004, 09:25 PM
I know this page tells the motors and what to set for: http://www.tflx.com/obtachtrad.html

As far as checking it, I don't know. I bought a clamp on digital for $50 or so, and used that...and use it for other stuff. They used to have ones for lawnmower engines that had a rubber ball on a gauge, you put against the flywheel and it was all mechanical. A lawnmower motor goes to 3600rpm minimum, enough to see if you are off I think. Saw mechanics use those but never had one myself. Unless you find an original OMC gauge and see if you are close to that maybe, still not exact though.

Try a search, I think I remember someone posting certain meters would show rpm, and you divide by the number of poles. Had to have a fluke meter or an attachment of some sort.:confused: