PDA

View Full Version : New Feature: Wiring and Electrical Rigging

Scream And Fly
07-01-2004, 06:12 PM
New Feature: Wiring and Electrical Rigging

Click Here to read the article. (http://www.screamandfly.com/home/hull_tech/wiring_6.6.2004/wiring_1.htm)

Enjoy!
Greg

Mach2
07-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Nicely described. I do have one comment. Some of the readers on the board may be using insulated crimp connectors instead of the non-insulated terminals. For insulated terminals you need a crimp tool that does not have the dimple on it. Reason being that if you crimp an insulated terminal with a tool make for uninsulated terminals, the dimple will usually break through the insulation, creating a possible short condition.

Just wanted to clarify this for the readers. Keep up the great work!

Mach2
07-19-2004, 11:56 AM
..in you picture you show the wiring hard to a distribution block nicely tied together with cable ties. My concern is the harness is very close to the one screw. Over time the vibration may loosen up the harnes and have the power wires rub against the screw, exposing the conductors on the wires. I usually either route the wires away from all the screws or use a piece of heat shrink tubing on the screw to protect the threads from coming into contact with the harness.

Hunter
07-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Geez, I don't know what to call them but I'd like to know where to get them.

Where can I get those black brackets that fix the gauge to the dash?

Mach2
07-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Are you referring to the black cable ties shown in the picture? You can pick these up at any Radio Shack, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, or order on-line from sources like Parts Express, MCM Electronics, etc.

Scream And Fly
07-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys : )

Dan, do you mean the cable tie anchors in the photo? They are actually installed, but hidded behind the wires. Those are what hold the cable ties in place. They are available at any marine supply store (Boater's World, West Marine, Boat US) and you can buy self-adhesive or screw-in types.

Greg

Hunter
07-19-2004, 05:22 PM
the black things that hold the guage to the dash...cleats, whatever you call 'em.