PDA

View Full Version : 76 Hydrostream Viper & 92 Allison GranSport

Hank W
05-10-2001, 01:18 AM
My "Baby"... I bought this one new in 1976.
HydroStream 15'Viper Bicentenial edition"Spirit of 76"(red, blue metalflake w/stars & stripes)fully restored by myself & a little help from my friends in 1992. I replaced the entire balsa core & reglassed over it.I used tinted PPG urethane clearcoats to preserve the original metalflake. Ran an in-line 115 Merc for years,ran mid 60's flat on the transom and w/a 23"QSS.Now have a rebuilt 1990 2.4L MercXR-4 with an XR gearcase turning 1.78 gears & w/a Bob's LWP cone,CMC hydraulic plate,just installed Teleflex(not NFB)dual cable steering, brand new Vortex wheel with Teleflex turn signal style trim and jack switches,Bob's foot throttle.Merc gauges. So far I have not tried any great props, I hope to change that soon. Have run 76MPH w/ a 24"LaserII @5400 RPM, more is available. I assume a chopperII in a 24" is a good starting point. Any advice...Lightning ET,Mazco,etc?

My "family boat"
1992 Allison GranSport Ski Edition, sandstone & blue trim with a very unique "Gabrino" interior. I run a 1996 200 ProMax(bone stock) with a externally modified CLE(nose blunted, right side thinned, skeg cut down to stock 200 size,torque tab)1.87 gears, Allison hydraulic jack(CMC)with additional setback-9" total. I have upgraded most of the Medallion gauges to Gaffrig incl. a 4"tattletale speedo,tach w/ recall, twin pyro(I don't know why with a stock motor but it looks cool) I run a small hub 26"Trophy & a 30" ChopperII for crusing and running & switch to my stump puller 21"large hub Laser for skiing. My best top speed so far has been 89MPH(GPS & the Gaffrig) on the rev-limiter @ 6700 RPM w/the 30". I hope to get together w/ W. Tripp soon & try some hot props.

Capt.Insane-o
05-11-2001, 08:51 AM
Throw on a 26 or 28 over the hub and hang onto your ass, moving the steering to the center is the only way to fly in a viper, but with that boat I would leave it be, Never seen a bi-centennial version, but they sure do look good from the pic's I've checked out.

Hank W
05-14-2001, 08:59 AM
Capt.Insane-O
Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try. Have you ever tried a cleaver on a Viper or Vector or do I need more horsepower to use one? I think I have more setback than I need, but I like having the adjustable plate.I ran inlines on it with noplate for years and had to give it plenty of trim, but not with this motor.

Hank W
05-14-2001, 10:28 PM
Capt.Insane-o,
My wife & I just gave our daughter a digital cam for graduation so I hope to talk her into letting me borrow it to get some pictures on here.
Do you really run Vipers @ 100+? Your handle fits you well :D Bet it feels really light at 90+ !!!

TBUCK
05-16-2001, 10:27 PM
CONTACT HYDROMOTIVE ENG.THEY HAVE DONE EXTENSIVE TESTING ON THE GRAN SPORT,AS WELL AS OTHER ALLISONS.TRY THE 28 THREE BLADE COMP OR SPORT MODELS.YOU WILL EQUAL OR BETTER ALL FACETS OF YOUR BOATS PERFORMANCE,AT ROUGHLY HALF THE COST OF SOME OF THE LAB FINISHED WHEELS OUT THERE.AND WITH A LIFETIME GUARANTEE ON ALL BLADE FAILURE(EXCEPT FOR THINNED AND TWEEKED PROPS)YOU CANT BEAT THE VALUE.IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN REACHING YOUR BOATS POTENTIAL AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE GIVE HYDROMOTIVE ENG.A CALL AT 330-425-4266.OR YOU CAN E-MAIL TODD AT SLIGGY@AOL.COM THANKS AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RIG!

Hank W
05-17-2001, 07:27 AM
TBuck,
Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure & give them a try.

[Edited by Hank W on 05-17-2001 at 07:30 AM]