PDA

View Full Version : Computer/HOTMAIL problem

Burke Kilgour
06-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Computer gurus........help
My hotmail has been acting odd for the last few days. It wont download any of the icons for the page, it tries but I just end up getting the little red "x" where the icons are supposed to be. It also kinda locks up because its trying to load these items.I can't open pictures because of this as well. It never did this before. All my security settings seem normal and other websites load OK. As far as I know hotmail is just a site that you go to rather than a program in my computer. It works OK from my girlfriends computer.........
Anybody know what the heck is going on? Is there a setting somwhere that got changed somehow?
It seemed to start after I got a pop-up the other night asking if I wanted to install something. I answered "no", but it changed my home page anyway.
I've been looking through this thing for about 2 days now for some kind of setting/program problem.
I ran my virus scan and a couple on line virus scans to see if that was my problem, but they didn't find anything.......
HELP

10.5' Tunnel
06-29-2004, 03:47 PM
In your internet explorer browser, go to tools-->internet option then under the general tab click delete cookies. It may be some of the problem

EDIT: You will have to logon to sites like this again if you have cookies enabled.

WharfRat
06-29-2004, 04:26 PM
First off, I'd go download Adaware (it's FREE) & run it after getting the latest updates to it, start there & let us know what it finds

get it here adaware (http://www.download.com/Ad-aware/3000-8022_4-10214379.html?tag=pop)

Also, are you using Outlook to get your mail ?

Burke Kilgour
06-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks, but I clear temporary internet files and cookies quite frequently. Any other ideas? :confused:

10.5' Tunnel
06-29-2004, 04:33 PM
If ad-aware doesn't help, try this program http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip . Be VERY careful of what you delete, as it also picks up on some stuff that you need.

Burke Kilgour
06-29-2004, 04:33 PM
........ran adaware (the latest version) and spybot ( updated) right away........it got rid of some stuff, but nothing out of the ordinary.
I also tried restoring my computer to a couple days before, that didn't help either.
I also restored the stuff that ad aware and spybot took out thinking that it maybe it took out something important.........didn't help......... I'm at my witts end.

WharfRat
06-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Are you using Outlook to access your mail ?

Burke Kilgour
06-29-2004, 04:50 PM
No, just going directly from the MSN site or through messenger....
Good idea though, gonna give that a try.

WharfRat
06-29-2004, 08:18 PM
When's the last time you ran updates on windows itself (as well as Office) ?

Travis Fulton
06-29-2004, 08:28 PM
not sure as im not a comp guru but i think spybot really f;'ed up my puter!!! had to have someone come and remove it!!!

moore
06-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi ,
Try checking out the browsers at www.mozilla.org the browser
only is Firefox , the mail only is Thunderbird and the whole rig
with webpage editor etc. is Mozilla , they are well behaved and
have lot's of usefull features for you to figure out , you can download
and try them out and delete them if you want with no problems
as long as you don't set them as you default browser , I've never
tried the Thunderbird mail though so I can't speak for it ....
Dean.

WharfRat
06-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Stick with Adaware, Travis, I've been using it for a few years now, from what I hear spybot is not very user friendly if you don't know what you're doing.

Burke Kilgour
06-29-2004, 11:23 PM
Outlook does pretty well the same thing.
I have Mozilla too, just haven't used it in a while..........maybe i should......
WharfRat, I have all the updates done, I do them as they come up.
I'm running XP, by the way.

Burke Kilgour
06-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Well, Panda picked up a virus today, i guess they just updated the scan because it didn't pick it up yesterday.
Didn't do any damage that I know of and Panda removed it.
Heres the link to the specifics in case someone is having a similar problem. It does a bit more than what the description says as I have found out.............
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Virus description:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/encyclopedia/ficha.aspx?iddeteccion=105595

WharfRat
06-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Burke, just my opinion, but I'd lose the Panda & go with AVG. it's free, runs auto, updates auto & I ain't had a virus in over 3 years on numerous systems. Looks like Panda ain't cutting it

get AVG here (www.grisoft.com)