PDA

View Full Version : 77 Vector - omc v6

Michael Martin
04-16-2001, 09:31 AM
77 vector - Filled in the concave pad and blueprinted the bottom this winter. Still working on it so I don't know how it will react. Moved it over to center streering also.
Soon as she'll flipped back over I'll let yall know the results.

OMC V-6 basicly a frankinrude - just got it so I dont have any details on it yet either

Mike

Sleekster
04-16-2001, 10:03 AM
Way to go Mike. What year is the engine? I had a couple of motors on my V-King -- used it to break-in some rebuilds. It started w/ a 235, then I looped it to 225 long shaft counter-rotating lower -- what a ride, then looper 200, back to 225 w/ 20" shaft then I sold it w/ a 150 cross. I might pick up an '81 Vector for fun. Who knows, Instigator might have some competition.

I think I might still have an adapter plate and exhaust can for a 235 somewhere. eme if you want to talk more.

Michael Martin
04-16-2001, 01:31 PM
The midsection (& title) is an '86, the gear case has a bobs LW nosecone, the block is a 92 175, the heads and electronics are from a 93 150 - It ain't perfect but it runs and I only got about $500 in it.

Now were working on an exaust tuner. Built one for my cousins 225 & it helped a bunch.

Mike

Sleekster
04-16-2001, 03:32 PM
Great deal. When you get it dialed in, post again. Enough people are eager to read the numbers -- oitch, rpms etc. Well at least I am eager. I liked the 26 Lazer II pitch for running w/ a boat load, but the 28 Raker and the 30 chopper were great top ends. Thanks for the update.

Michael Martin
04-17-2001, 04:36 PM
I had a 150 on the boat before I redid the bottom. It was turning a 27 srx at 6400. The prop had been reworked or so I was told but it was probably more twards a 26 or so. Using a 6" manual jack plate, running it "real high"
I don't know how fast but it felt real good.

Mike

Sleekster
04-17-2001, 05:20 PM
I had tried what I thought was an SRX, but it was black -- teflon coated. It had been reworked too. I thought it was a 28p. It is still for sale but has gone up to $275. It didn't give me any more top end than the 28 Raker, but I did like the hole shot better. Coulda had it for $200 way back when....Oh well.

So your motor is the 60 degree?

Michael Martin
04-17-2001, 06:17 PM
I wish. I looked for one but never could get one in my budget. I would love to have a 60 degree 175 to play with. There just tough little motors.

Mike

Sleekster
04-17-2001, 06:47 PM
I had some parts around here for the ol crosses...385# motors, that isn't bad esp for the Vector and V-King. When I went to the loopers, w/ the CMC 450# + 45# for the jack, it was a little tail heavy. Never had the Vector out, sold it w/o a motor. That's the one I might buy back.

If you are going to any of the summer festivities, I'm sure someone will radar you or take a GPS reading. That way you can find out what slippage you have. Are you planning any trips? I'm liking that Instigator one -- Rumble on the River. If Ken Warby lights his torch, that would be cool to watch, I don't think I'd volunteer to take a radar reading of him though. What part of the world are you in?

Michael Martin
04-17-2001, 07:29 PM
I'm in the dirty south. Born and raise on Lake Murray.

I am hosting the Outlaws Performance boat rally on May 12.
I'm actually waiting on my gun to come in now. I ordered a Stalker Sport. I've heard they are the best so I figured that was the way to go.

Where are you?

Sleekster
04-17-2001, 08:46 PM
My GPS pooped the bed last year. I heard the same thing about the Sporty. Very impressive that you are getting one. I'm in Maryland. A friend lives near Rocky Mount. Where is Murray? I've talked to him about taking his family, and mine, out at one of the lakes. All I would need is a place to dump them for a quick high speed pass or two. Sounds like fun.

Its a shame that you are doing a do that weekend. It is the same one as my youngest daughter's middle school play -- Annie -- she's the lead so I am busy. I could drive south on some other weekend. Actually I am planning to do so. As details emerge, I'll update you. My email is gbradstock@home.com

Those of us w/ OMC's are getting tighter, thanks to Instigator, and L.T. and w/o question the professionals. So its nice to know another.

JTS Racing
04-17-2001, 10:50 PM
Saw you had a pix of some of my fancy flying in a little Ally with a V4 OMC on the SC Lakes page while back. Didn't know you liked da OMC's too. Will send ya a pix of the hydro when it's finished with all its flames (painted on:D)and such. Kewl site.. Talked to Gus lately??

Michael Martin
04-18-2001, 08:03 AM
HYDRO -
My family has been an OMC dealer since back in the early 50's. I grew up using old impellers as toys.
I have no problems with Merc's but I'm just more comfortable with a Johnny.

No I need to call him. I just haven't been able to make time.

Sleekster -

Murray is in the center of SC near columbia.
You can rent the guns for a week @ http://www.radarsales.com for $99.

XBuddawg
04-21-2001, 08:38 PM
Hey Michael,

Have ya had her dipped in Murray yet? Let us know how she does. As far as takin' da concave pad out, did ya go back flat?

Was over to T-Rex's today, and he has one there someone flatten da pad out, and couldn't handle it. da Rex is gonna fix it back like it was, or better! Keep us posted on ya progress....

Later,
Buddy

Sleekster
04-22-2001, 08:20 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the ref. We'll have to see about making it down. I'd like to know about the pad thing too. Buddy, check your e.

Michael Martin
04-22-2001, 09:26 AM
I'm still working on it. Hope to get it flipped upright by tuesday. I'll get some pictures of it too. The wind has been really bad & didn't want to paint anyone elses boat in the process. I just picked up a CMC hydrolic 6" jackplate.
It may not be any better than a manual as far as performance but I just like having the control.
I've also got a hydrolic steering system. Still haven't made up my mind If I'm going to drop it in though. I like having some torque on the wheel, kinda lets me know how its running.

Mike Martin

Sleek- Hadn't seen anything in my e-box, how bout shoot it to me again

X - She's flat, streight, sharp, smooth, & hopefully she likes me.

Instigator
04-22-2001, 11:16 AM
How long before you test??? Real curious for results! My Vector still has the funky pad and it seems to run good as is. Only running about 73 as is. Been told boat has run 85+ w/different lower unit/height/wheel.
It looks to me like when you fill the pad that the Vector becomes a Viking??? My Vecotor runs best at a semi flat (+5*) angle of attack which is exactly what I expected with the hook. The Viking looks to run a lot more "bow up" at speed. Not sure thats the fastest attitude for the boat though. Sleekster has a picture of his old Viking (??) with the bow high enough to wax the bottom while its running, and not get wet! I can't see that this will do more than change the angle of attack if done properly???
Keep us posted Mike! Instigator

Michael Martin
04-22-2001, 10:44 PM
I will do my best to give as many details as possible with pictures. What is really the best way to do this? I know by gps and radar, motor height, rpm, and prop specs. But what else would be useful?

Mike

Michael Martin
04-22-2001, 10:46 PM
I should have it rolled over by Tues. (hopefully) I then I need to respray the top deck & install the new wiring, and rig it. I'm shooting to at least have it ready by Sat, and in the water asap.

Michael Martin
04-22-2001, 11:14 PM
I forgot I had this online.

http://www.sclakes.com/lbbu.html

This is where I started in the winter of 99. I did paint the bottom but since part one didn't get much attention I never published part 2.

Sleekster
04-23-2001, 06:15 AM
I have one too. Had the L&S model 500, really sucked. Then I got an older CMC and liked it. Just gotta watch the bolts...they sometimes like to loosen. Not good. Now I have a new one. Hopefully it will serve the Sleek well.

Fired off the pictures. Sorry the file is so large.

Michael Martin
04-24-2001, 08:54 AM
Shoud do just fine. You boat is beutiful! I had never seen one before. Seats 5 and its fast hell even my wife might go for that!

Mike

mxz
04-24-2001, 09:20 AM
Mike,
I would like to see Part 2 of your Viking refinish if you have it. I would like to re-gel the bottom of my Vector maybe next fall and would appreciate any tips you have. Is this something that the average Joe like myself can do? Did you have to straighten the bottom or fill any chips, If so how did you do this. I had a few chips on my bottom and just filled them with Marine tex and sanded the area. Has held up well for 2 seasons now.
Thanks for any help
Brent Peters
email stang5@aol.com

Michael Martin
04-24-2001, 09:46 AM
Brett- I am still working on the boat. As soon as its done I will be adding a part 2. I've used the M-Tex also, it seams to work really well.

I had major problems with the bottom. All the strakes had to be streightened and sharpened. There were several gashes and scrape marks that had to be reworked. It wasn't hard it's just time consuming. The gel coat is easy to spray I personally had no experince before I started this one. I just wanted to try it. To me I would rather try things myself before I'll pay some one to do it for me. But doing the bottom itself has taken me 4 months to get it ready. Averaging about 8 hours a week to mess with it between myself and Mike Agnew.

mxz
04-24-2001, 11:57 AM
Thanks Mike,
I also enjoy trying fixing things myself instead of blowing large $$$ on something I could do myself.
Looking forward to seeing Part II. Keep me posted and good Luck.
Brent

Sleekster
04-26-2001, 07:44 AM
But I'm sure it would kill the top end, so I'd have to throw a half dozen or so over board to catch the next guy. I don't have a video but I do have a series of pictures of teh V-King running like Instigator said. Wasn't the best speed but it was cool to drive. Still have to return the scanner and get the right one. When I do, you can see for yourself.

I agree w/ mxz. I'd be up for part II also.

Michael Martin
04-26-2001, 09:10 AM
We'll she's face up & ready for the next coat on the top deck.

I'm going to be spraying 2 colors on the top so hopefully sat I'll get started with installing all new wiring and guages.

PS
If you have never had the fun of flipping your boat by a lift. Its no problem as long as your not around but if your there or helping, any little creek or moan of the straps will make you extremly uptight.

Mike

Sleekster
04-26-2001, 01:07 PM
....over. Sounds like fun. Can't relate. The only time I had to flip the V-King was after I got towed to shallow water and 4 of us flipped it back upright. Not much fun with gas in the water and the battery switch hard to get at.http://forums.screamandfly.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

Controlled flipage seems like a better idea.

thumper
04-26-2001, 05:14 PM
I'm putting the hook back in the Vector as I'm expecting triple digits (With a XFlow V6! :eek: ) this year and I will feel a lot more comfortable with that nose down rather than up!
Good luck on all the projects!!

Sleekster
04-26-2001, 05:27 PM
What motor do you have? I tried to find your rig in this section, but couldn't. Could you post info? Just interested.

I'd like to know rpm's and pitch, etc.

Michael Martin
04-26-2001, 09:28 PM
I may be mistaken -

The high bow may be more of a weight distrabution problem.
For example:
When you cross wake head on if the boat seams more prone to get very bow light. Then it is out of balance. Should be where as the bow doesn't raise but yet the stern bounces.

I have set most every boat I have ever owned this way.
It ensures that there is little to no bounce at low rpm's and decreases the risk of a blowover.

Also the hook that is in my vector is 39 inches from the back of the pad. ( at the transom measuring forward ) I didn't remove it. This small hook will also the boat to layover quicker and it will not be in the water much past "planning off".

Is you pad filled in or is it concave? Is the bottom blueprinted? Just want to know more please....

thumper
04-27-2001, 10:49 AM
Leaving for an Amigo tour in 15 min. Will reply w/setup and all that when I get back and my liver gets home. :)

thumper
04-29-2001, 09:07 PM
OK Back from the weekend trip. Had a great time visited and met some good people and got a motor in the process.
Spent the afternoon flinging fiberglass into my skin with a 4" grinder. Mission accomplished, yuk. I HATE grinding fiberglass!
I really don't know where to start. No, my problem isn't with weight dist. it runs the bow as high or as low as I want. What my concern is is when I get to running over 100 I want the added security of having that extra couple of degrees of angle in the bottom helping to keep the boat just above the water with the boat running near flat while only the last few inches of the pad are in the water. This can be accomplished with the hook reinstalled I think.
Does my rambling make sense?
The other reason I'm putting it back in is at cruising speeds with positive trim and while cornering the boat hops bad! I can make it go away while cruising by burying the motor and jacking down but then what's the point of cruising if it feels like a bayliner? I had a Viper with a hook in it and it never exhibited any of these traits and so I'm hoping by putting the hook back in I might get some of that nice ride back along with the high speed behavior I'm looking for.
Rigging is all standard with all the safety bells and whistles. The bottom conccave has been filled in and flattened and I just ground the hook back in. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. Anyone know anything about the Land and Sea pump motors?

Instigator
05-02-2001, 07:10 AM
Missed you at Rich's by about 36 hrs! He told me what you took home with you. WAY COOL BRO!
I bought a motor (in box's) from him for my project as well. Went from Rich's to B.Gohrs (also delivering a crank to him from Rich in the process) and getting parts for the Sonic and some neat stuff for the FrankenRude project.
You sent me an "e" a while back on your project, and I just sent you a couple last week w/no response?? Your not really a merc guy I offened are you??
Send me a note on your project if you want too. See yah, Instigator gwilli3@columbus.rr.com

thumper
05-02-2001, 08:56 AM
sorry to hear you sent some mail and I didn't get it. Try again. Only the guys that run Mercs have their noses in the air around here :D :)
Address is thumper@flashmail.com, there's more I can give you but then I'd have to make you an Amigo!
Tell me more about your Frankenrude!

Plum Crazy
05-09-2001, 09:24 PM
I took the hook out, of mine and blue printed the entire hull. Sad to say, I am not pleased!! I have no bow lift now! I can trim the motor, all the way out, and still not enough air!! I may experment with a little lip, on the back of the pad. If nothing eles, i'm putting the hook back in..Every one has there own opion on the Vector pads. I went by the old saying,"flat is fast" and tried it. The boat handles alot better, but its wet up to the windshield.. We'll see what happens next time.. Plum Crazy

thumper
05-09-2001, 10:50 PM
it's not related to prop is it? Same prop as pre flat pad?
Sounds like 2 and 2 are adding up to 3 here. One question, is the new flat pad parallel to the centerline of the boat?
that really sux when it goes the opposite way of expected.
Keep the Vector boys informed, I'm sure we all want to know.

Rickracer
05-10-2001, 07:06 AM
How Much setback are you running? With all that added glass work on your windshield/fairing <G>, you may need to add some..... :-)

Plum Crazy
05-10-2001, 01:02 PM
As far as weight go's The boat is lighter now, than before. I run the same prop, with the same set back{6 in.} I tried to run the motor, right on the transom..I now have a shorty mid, but thats all that has really changed. I'm putting on my 2.5 fishing motor, in the next week or two. I had a stock 2.4 200 hp. I have not had much time to play around and try out different things yet. Every time I go out, I break somthing!! Someone told me not to run that boat in the Gulf, wide open!! I think they may have something there! But that wont change, I'm beefing up my mid, gearcase, now..The hull holds up fine, only the motor doesn't do so well..I run a 28p merc,chopper, and love it! I need to play around with the motor hight, I think that may be my problem.. Time will tell !! That Barney's a trip, isn't he !! Later P/C.

Michael Martin
05-10-2001, 08:00 PM
I left my gearcase outside last night as I was still molding the nose cone in, & some sorry bastard stole it. So now I'm working on my spare empty case.

I 'm still in the rigging mode.Laid the carpet today, hung the jackplate. Installed the new guages, and wired 80% of the boat.

It wont be ready by this weekend ( for the outlaws rally in SC )but at least I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel or v-bottom in this case.

Plum - I am not real sure how it'll react since I did leave a small hook in the pad. I just filled in the concave area.

Mike Martin