PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel Boat Cowlings

tabararacing
06-21-2004, 12:34 AM
Here's my Appearence Mod. I have molds long enough to do everything from SST 45 molds, to F1 molds. 6 months of design and making the production quality molds, and now they're done. The finish product weighs 1/4 of the original, is bigger and is stronger. But the back cowl is 100 percent our design, just had a few inspirations from a couple different sources, espcecially the old school burgess' boats, then we incorporated the fact that side winds are such a big problem for tunnel boats. Too many covered wagons out there. The drivers know after drving one with a covered wagon tail cowl, and one without which one is better. But the amount of time to make a dip cowl mold like this is immense, its not for the faint at heart.
We will sell them if anyone has this style boat needing them, they fit sst 45's, 60's, 120's and f1's for OLDER gran prix boats.

Brian

Photo is original:

tabararacing
06-21-2004, 12:50 AM
Heres our design:

Jay R.
06-21-2004, 05:46 AM
looks good man! I've seen R/C and drag boats that were similar, but not as extreme a dip! awesome job!

Travis Fulton
06-21-2004, 06:06 AM
brian, that is a very nice design! looks great! keep up the good work;)

tabararacing
06-21-2004, 01:25 PM
My design actually was helped out quite a bit from a good friend of mine Chris Bush. These side drafts on these tunnel boats are often over looked by boat builders and drivers because most of the time, people just assume theres not much they can do about it. At kankakee my boat was getting blown around quite a bit, along with my B&H that had the seebold cowl on it. The boat was very tall, and it didn't have enough releaf in the center to get rid of the winds. I have yet to feel the boat move left or right from a side wind....
Thanks guys for the comments, this type of cowling is nothing new, the boats had them like this in the70's and 80's but usually not with the center releaf as much.
But thanksf or the comments, it was alot of work, but I like the end result...