PDA

View Full Version : Pistons

savage
05-09-2001, 07:24 PM
What kind of pistons (name brand) should I use when rebuilding my 2.4 Merc with chrome (nicom) bores ? I spoke with Wiseco and they said the 2.4 liter pistons are on "engineering hold". They didn't specify the problem,but I have heard numerous problems with these pistons. I can get genuine merc pistons for 130.00 each (need six). Can anyone beat that price for the mercs and are they worth it. Any other options ? I want to build it right and forget about it, that's why I replated all the cylinders.

[Edited by savage on 05-09-2001 at 07:29 PM]

MERCMAN
05-09-2001, 07:29 PM
you dont have to replace those pistons unless there is some damage to them. if you need a few to make a complete set , i have all the diffrent manufacturers of these pistons during the 2.4 era. let me know if any are needed. jwsav@aol.com i dont think it is worth spending all that money even if you can get a better deal on them for a 2.4.

savage
05-09-2001, 07:34 PM
I don't have any pistons. I'm building this power head from scratch, using my 2.0 crank and rods etc.

Rickracer
05-10-2001, 07:32 AM
I have two different kind of pistons I can get you the genuine Merc pistons for $135 each and a brand made by Pro Marine called the pro powers they are $84 each if you would like any more information you can e-mail me at
rick@rickracers.com

savage
05-10-2001, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the reply Rick. Has anyone else out there used Pro Power pistons ? What kind of pistons due our "racers" on this forum use, how bout it guys !Looking to hear from Greg Moss,Ray Neudecker,Jimmyb, Ect.......

[Edited by savage on 05-10-2001 at 07:40 PM]

MERCMAN
05-10-2001, 09:00 PM
if you are purchasing new , i would go with rick racers deal on the pro marine pistons. i use alot of parts from there company and they have good pistons for stockers!

T-REX
05-10-2001, 09:10 PM
Pro marine pistons are az good az Mercs in my opinion...if you layed them side by side and wuzent familiar wit the merc pistons, part #'s etc, you couldn't tell them apart...Know of several engines(even a 3.0) and haz had NO problems...so save ya money and use the Pro pistons, Rick has a good price for them...REX

myron
05-10-2001, 09:11 PM
I have a set of Pro Marine pistons in my 225 Pro Max, before I put them in I sent them to Jay Smith to balance and look at and he said they were a good piece. I have about 30 hours on them and so far so good. My stock pistons had the locating pins come loose in them.

savage
05-12-2001, 07:44 AM
Thanks for all the imformation guys. The help has been really appreciated.

Dave@DunnWright
05-14-2001, 04:47 PM
Make sure whatever piston you go with the rings are specified for chrome bores if that is how you re-dipped your block or Nicom if that is the wall material, I am guessing it is Nicom. The rings are not compatible. Just a note, I have had good luck putting together used sets of pistons and if you don't have access to a micrometer a vernier dial caliper and using care to get an accurate reading in thousandths you can pick out a good set. Look for around 3.366" to 3.367" at the base of the skirt 90 degrees from the wrist pin as a minimum on a good stock bore. I am sure the Pro marine pistons are quality pieces but I would rather have the used Mercs as new Wiseco's. Now old Jay may be on something he hasn't shared with me and if he has the locating pin problem solved the Wiseco's would be an option. You do give up some ring life, my opinion, with the thinner Wiseco rings.If you use stock Merc pistons I think the number for the ring to be compatible with the nic bore is 39-816802-A, about $140 from a Merc dealer.

AlaskaStreamin
05-17-2001, 06:04 PM
I just took a 2.4 200 to the dump today. Had five good pistons and rods. I can still get it as it's in the outboard bin sitting next to a complete mid 90's 20" 200 Evinrude (Yea,...complete) I'll only charge for my time to take out the pistons. Let me know.

savage
05-18-2001, 02:53 PM
Thanks for your generous offer,but I feel safer going with brand new pistons after spending $650.00 on Nicom plating all six cylinders. I want to build it right the first time so I won't have to worry about it!