PDA

View Full Version : Couple of ideas and simple tricks

Techno
06-16-2004, 05:13 PM
I found that running the wires on the outside of the boat to measure them better than running them on the hard to get to inside of the boat:p It took 3 wires to catch on but did the rest on the outside. For cutting to length. The skin is only so thick and extra is cut anyway. You have to imagine an STV ProComp Ski to fully appreciate this since there is that barrier in the way.

My switch panel is a complicated affair with something like 20 terminals. What goes where?
Take a picture, copy it into your CAD program ( don't got one they have freeware ones) and draw over it or keep the picture and add text as needed. This is a good trick for drawing to a something without measuring it. Take a picture and set the units to the picture and away you go. Start drawing a perfectly scaled item with no measuring needed, well you have to measure one item so you can set it on the picture. Did this with my battery mount too.

A schematic! Well since I gots the CAD program why not?
Make a schematic of the whole wiring system in the boat. Print it out and laminate it. Mount it between plexi and frame it in the boat where you'll need it instead of a manual that was... where?

The ratchet clips I bought have an added feature. Instead of running all the wiring through the factory card board tubes, what a mess. You have several circuits in each clip. The several circuits are actually a circuit function. IE. I have a bilge pump and 2 fuel pumps ( they just happen to also all use brown wire) These wires are run together and not with the grey lighting circuits. Each circuit is by its lonesome and much easier to pull a wire later.