PDA

View Full Version : dcs-f828

lyle
06-05-2004, 07:12 AM
any opion on this sony camera

sosmerc
06-08-2004, 09:37 PM
I've been doing some research on it....it has alot of features. What intrigues me is that it can take relatively decent video up to the capacity of 4 gig on a microdrive...and you can have both a memory stick and a microdrive in the camera and switch back and forth....stills on the memory stick and movies on the microdrive.
The zoom is manual and that makes for very fast composition.
If you don't want to carry multiple removable lens (slr) this camera looks to have the potential to provide similar performance to the cheaper "prosumer" digital slr's.
I'm waiting to see what changes and improvements Sony might introduce on the next version of the F828.
I want to shoot some video, and I'm torn between a digital camera that shoots video or a video camcorder that can shoot some stills!! I want decent quality in both stills and video and I don't want to have to be a "techie" to figure it out!
My Sony CD300 has been an excellent camera, very easy to use and reliable. The F828 is very appealing.

pyro
06-10-2004, 09:37 AM
There's a lot of good things about the 828. The lens is AWESOME, it's fast, it has a good video mode, takes CF and Stick, but...

Most Sony cameras in general have a minor issue with CCD noise. My S75 shoots pretty decent pictures, but my night-time thunderstorm pictures always bring out the worst in the camera. The images tend to have some pepper-fleck noise. I have seen this with other Sony cameras as well. Lower light situations are when the problem is it its worst.

The 828 was released a little ahead of its time. Most pros who have tried it will tell you that it produces noticeably higher than normal noise and distortion artifacts when shooting with the ISO set above 100. What good is a high-resolution camera with a nice lens, when you have to shoot every cloudy-day photo with a tripod? I was considering buying one a few weeks ago, but I did my homework. If you truly need 8.0 MP resolution, you need to save up the cash for a real digital SLR.

I carry around a compact Canon S400 that shoots distortion-free images with no purple fringes or pepper, even with night-time shots using long shutter. It's the size of a deck and a half of cards. I wish I had a nice camera with the zoom capability of the 828, but I would rather have less pixels and better image quality. For now, I'll make do with what I've got.

-Chad

sosmerc
06-10-2004, 09:46 AM
I haven't bought mine yet, still doing the research. I'm hoping Sony will address all of the known "issues" and provide an improved version soon. But, just like computers, as soon as you buy one, there's something better just around the corner.

Charlie M
07-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Biggest issue I see with the DSC 828 is reviews from people that don't own the camera. I am sure if I tried hard enough I could get the camera to take a picture with the dreaded purple fringe but as of yet I have not seen it. I took pictures at my wife's friends wedding that was nearly rained out and the pictures came out very nice.

I am sure that once Sony comes out with the next version critics will find something bad wrong with the camera.