PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rod Back in BUSINESS!

Mark75H
06-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Hello, everyone. I’m Ron Selewach (sell-a-watch; with a name like that you can’t have a thin skin!), and I have just acquired the assets of the American Hot Rod Company from Tom Moulder. I did want to keep this transaction quiet until I’d had time to build up the parts inventory, so that when racers started asking for parts, the demand could be satisfied and signal a new day for the Hot Rod company, but after reading Brad Walker’s comment (meant to be helpful), I felt I should write something as I do not want any racers thinking that I regard them as “pesky”. And yes, “A” gearcases will be available again shortly (so will 1:1 A/B/C Quickie gearsets).

I have met many of you racers, and am looking forward to meeting a lot more. What a great group of guys and gals. Since most of you do not know me, a little background might be of interest. I grew up on a farm in the Finger Lakes region of New York, about an hour and a half northwest of Whitney Point. While sweating in the fields, I’d look down on the lake to see all the “rich kids” enjoying their hydroplanes and those screaming little green motors. Not the type to begrudge others their good fortune, I just vowed some day I’d get to do that too. About 40 years later, I happened upon an AOMC vintage meet at Cypress Gardens and my desire was rekindled. I started collecting vintage racing motors and boats in 2001. Then in 2002, I “saw the light” and started racing at AOF meets here in Florida. So I guess you could say that collecting turned me into a racer (all collectors aren’t bad!). This is my first year in APBA, but I don’t get to attend races very often.

As far as the Hot Rod Company, there is a lot of work to be done, and it will take a little time. An EPA exemption is being pursued for these motors. A new 12.5 ci motor will be developed, along with the 15 and 20 ci engines. Young racers will be able to move up through the classes simply by installing a new block and pistons to their existing engine, thereby retaining their original investment. All drawings will have to be converted to CAD, and modern manufacturing techniques will be utilized. Some reengineering needs to be done to various parts to increase reliability; new vendors for parts need to be located and tested, and on and on. An eCommerce website is being created where racers will be able to order complete motors, parts, gaskets, etc., pay for them using a credit card, and the order will be shipped out within 24 hours – no waiting for parts anymore or checks to clear. The site will also offer racing accessories, Hot Rod clothing, etc. As an American motor manufacturer, we will actively work with the APBA, AOF, NBRA, and other associations to help promote the sport to young people in an effort to get more racers involved. I am extremely excited about adding a new chapter to the American Hot Rod legacy. More to follow as the senior management group is selected, and new life is breathed into this venture.
Ron Selewach
"Its never too late for a good childhood"