PDA

View Full Version : Low 12 second Mitsubishi 4 door (stock)

WARLOCK
06-03-2004, 07:29 AM
My buddy picked up a 04 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. This car has 300 h.p. and 4 doors Sparco seats, Oz racing wheels and 4 wheel disc brakes. He put a different exhaust on it and took it to the track and ran a 12.6 at 109 MPH!!! Thats just sick! Would that suck cruising around in you Vette or Mustang and getting dusted by this little cracker box? That would give a older Viper a run for its money. But then again, its still a little four door, fast and furious little **** pile. Later, Dave

Jason Huber
06-09-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by WARLOCK
My buddy picked up a 04 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution... but then again its still a little four door, fast and furious little **** pile. Later, Dave LOL!! Yup - at the end of the day, a Lancer, WRX, any Honda, etc... all still just little throw-away cars with big power - and NO soul or style...

1BadAction
06-09-2004, 07:38 AM
nice ET but its all from being AWD, not really high HP. generally trap speed is an indicator of HP, that is trapping 109, wheras my 88 iroc stock trapped 104@13.95, and my 2000 WS6 t/a traps 113mph@13.1 He is probably pusing about 300 crank HP...

turbos are awesome, cant wait to get one on the real motor in my t/a. :eek:

BTW my v8 gets better mpg :p

WARLOCK
06-09-2004, 09:46 AM
I could'nt agree more Jason! 1Badstream-Low et is the winner though is'nt it. Bottom line is, its would still be embarrasing to get beat by that. Your right though, if it was'nt for the all wheel drive, those et would'nt happen. Later, Dave

sho305
06-09-2004, 10:33 AM
I have a '92 Laser (mitsu eclipse) I put a lot of miles on with AWD 2.0 turbo. It is only maybe 200hp with a few little mods I did to it. Here the car was great, it was a rally racer all winter and still went good in the summer. I got 22mpg most of the time on premium with mixed driving. It rode/handled nice but is small. Problem is the 5 speed trans is bad so it has been sitting. I pulled trans and it is $1000 for just parts to freshen it up ($100 for a little sling shot looking shift fork for example) and $500 labor:eek: :rolleyes: Trying to find a used one some day but it is a common problem. So, I would get a WRX instead with the rediculous mitsu pricing having po'ed me. Was a ton of fun to drive, did great powerslides in the snow even at 60mph that I would never do in a rwd.:cool: I just wanted to fix it to sell or drive as a beater since the head and turbo are only at 35K, but I think those failures were from the previous owner not caring for it.

My mustang 5.0 it replaced blew off the back tires every summer even if I didn't burn them, while this thing the tires last great driving it all year. One time I dropped the clutch and spun all four about a car length, but didn't want to break stuff.

Incidently when they dragged these DSM mitsus they converted them to rwd with some slicks and they were faster in the quarter. The fwd would have a higher top speed also.

j.iverson
06-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Bottom line, it is still a 12 second car that you could actually drive year round in Minnesota.

Jason Huber
06-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Ricer's Monster-tach! :D

Jason Huber
06-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Bring on the SS396's & 454 rat motors! Olds W30 442's and Stage 1 Buick 455's, Hemi's, SixPacs... ITS FEEDING TIME!!! :p 4000lb behemoths that gulp gas - and by today's standards - really did nothing all that well... EXCEPT accelerate and LOOK GOOD!! Long after these "hot" imports have been sold for scrap, I'll be out in my driveway, waxing my 66' Impala SS427 & drinking a beer from the tin-can they were made into... ;)

j.iverson
06-09-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm with ya, but it still would be cool to drive something to work in the winter that rips.

tripledude
06-09-2004, 01:25 PM
iverson, You're right. My GTO turns in the 13's. There are LOTS of new cars out there that can do that with very minor tweaking. Plus they can have the a/c on without having to brake with two feet at the end of a run. The GTO, however, wins hands down on the "cool factor."

Jason Huber
06-09-2004, 01:26 PM
in the REAL world (which I checked-out of - years-ago...! :D)

j.iverson
06-09-2004, 02:15 PM
I still have a little dose of the glory days stashed in my garage too--my first car from highschool(Olds Cutlass 2dr hardtop,anemic 307 underhood). It's getting rusty, and it is probably time for me to fess up to reality and sell it to some kid who needs a beater. I thought some day I would have the thing restored for my daughters to take to prom, but my boating habit is starting to become cost prohibitive.:rolleyes:

Jason Huber
06-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Mid - 80's Cutlass with that weezer 307 mill is an EASY 455 translplant candidate! They share the same engine family - so brackets, A/C, etc. is all plug & play! The best of both worlds...;)

j.iverson
06-09-2004, 03:16 PM
If that is the case, then we need to talk. It is a 1987, this was the last year of that classic bodystyle. I don't know much about cars, so obviously I would be hiring all this stuff out, but man, a 455 would make me want to keep stumbling over it in the garage for now. Are those motors easy to find, and more importantly affordable? I have been told by people to have the frame checked before I start pouring money into the body and motor, because they can rust?
A few think tanks at the Buckhorn, and we could design something worthy for me to put the fuzzy dice back up on the mirror and grow back my mullet.:D

Jason Huber
06-09-2004, 03:26 PM
The Cutlass/Regal/Monte's of the the era were prone to frame rot - especially in salt-states like ours - where you still see a few running around missing rear bumpers... ;) The same-body 442 & Hurst cars had some cool features like a subtle rear spoiler and all-chrome SSII Olds mags, and of-course those goofy "Lightnin' Rods" shifters... Alot of 350/403/455 mills found their way into these cars. My personal fave was the 79' Hurst in black - the first generation of the pretty, small-body Cutlass... :cool: BTTW - Warlock, sorry to jack' your post... :o :D I'll sit down and shut-up now... ;)

tripledude
06-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Jason, You just have to keep adding,"But a Viper could kick it's butt." THEN Warlock will be okay.;) As long as that Cutlass don't have a 2by4 for a rear bumper, it can't be all that rusty. The old jetboat guys have probably used up a lot of the Olds 455's. I'd hate to bastardize anything that don't have a bowtie on it, but a small block Chevy may be the easier route. BUT A VIPER COULD KICK IT'S BUTT!!!;)

DoktorC
06-09-2004, 05:37 PM
That EVO is sweet!! I'm a muscle car fan too..but they remind me of a big offshore boat..loud, thirsty, and alot of times the owners think they're faster then they actually are. Remeber..don't kill me..I KNOW that there are alot of fast, fast muscle cars...just alot of times the guys that think they're fast, aren't.

Cars like the EVO and WRX seem more like an SOB..light, quick, and nimble. It's funny to seen guys that trash offshore boats as pigs drive the land equivilant ;). Personally I drive a Talon AWD and I know it doesn't have the history or the "sole" of a muscle car...but on the street I'll rip ya a new one (for the most part). The 5k AWD launches really scare people..and in the winter you can pick on all the plow guys :).

sho305
06-10-2004, 08:27 AM
That is why I got the Laser, I was tired of driving the stang half a year only. I could not wait for snow with the laser...:cool: I remember running the highway once when it was getting colder and icing up at 70mph. I came under an overpass and the car twiched a little, bang there were 3 cars way off in the ditch:) I sailed by and dropped down to 60 then...it handled so well I could take off in the snow and powerslide about a quarter mile before it got too fast for me. The thing came with a viscus posi in the rear and center diff, my mustang posi didn't even work all the time:rolleyes: And the intercooler, made more power the colder it was. Below zero I could pull into traffic and hammer it in first...the turbo would hit so hard if you were turning it would break the tires loose! Given it was cold pavement, but sunny and dry pavement. And the rain, the stang would start going sideways at 1500rpm in 5th gear in the rain...no problem in the awd at wot. I could holeshot anyone in the rain with that awd, and get into traffic fast. I miss the 5.0 motor, that was sweet...but boost gauges are cool too.;)

These cars are like big turbo charged gocarts, lots of fun but not the same as a V8. I'll get me a sedan version soon. They are just plain capable in so many areas and don't even take much gas if you are sane, great for everyday driving. I wish US companies could make them, but the idiots can't. That EVO is great, just that mitsu cut some corners on this car and have outrageous pricing to fix it so I'd have to try the subie (GM) first.

WARLOCK
06-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Jason, don't worry about hijacking my thread, this is why I put it up. The technology on these little rice burners is pretty damn cool I will admit. That evo and wrx are quite impressive but like the saying goes, theres no substitute for horsepower. Hey Clyde, does that goat ever come out of your museum? Later, Dave

sho305
06-10-2004, 10:19 AM
The thing about these cars is the cost/performance. The other thing is take a look at what the tuners do with only a few mods...:D Personally, I feel the AWD and performance of these things is much better and safer to drive for this size car. I can get out of trouble and out stop most others...though I worry more about getting plugged in the rear by another car if I hammer the binders. The best part, is I can enjoy it every day on the road though they tend to wear out faster (in defense, they get used harder so I don't know). I put a head and turbo on the Laser and it was not that bad a job. Putting a head gasket on a quad4 (that blew every 50K, though they paid for the first one) was harder than the laser with a turbo and same dohc design head. The GM had a lot more pieces/parts to assemble.

I like to buy American if I can, but they will not make something like this. For example Ford set up the Contour for AWD as it uses in the Jag X...not here. The focus should have AWD available, just as many other US cars could have been. So I buy them used.

If you like performance, you should try one at least for the fun of it. The stiff feel is much like a race car.

tripledude
06-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Dave, An old friend of mine who now lives in Florida brought his girlfriend up last weekend for a getaway in downtown Chicago. I drove up the GTO last Sunday and picked them up downtown. Cruised around with the top down. Lots of thumbs ups. I have to admit I was paranoid as hell and had visions of crack smokin' Haitian cab drivers sideswiping me.:eek: :eek: Drivin' around Rush Street was fun as he and I used to barhop down there a lot back in our 20's. STILL the place to girlwatch. Tried to get my buddy to double team his girlfriend but he's gotten too old fashioned.:D

WARLOCK
06-11-2004, 05:17 AM
Watch it Clyde, my dad is a Haitian crack smokin cab driver! He only smokes on weekend though. Bring that goat up here some time, There's a cruise night every thursday night. The only thing is you have to miss Blarneys. Later, Dave

1BadAction
06-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by sho305
The thing about these cars is the cost/performance. The other thing is take a look at what the tuners do with only a few mods...:D

cost/performance? like 2000 for a sweet fox mustang or 3rd gen camaro. then another 2500 to put it over 400Hp?

there isnt a ricer alive that can beat the bang/buck that a muscle car has... have you ever priced the crap for those things?

sho305
06-11-2004, 08:49 AM
I had an '89 LX 5.0 for 5 years and hardly put any miles on it, maybe 35K in all that time. It sat all winter while AWDs laughed at it. In the dry the axle was constantly trying to get out from under the car and the ride sucked. The motor was a gem though. I would not have another for a daily driver, infact a '78 T/A I had before that was much nicer to drive daily. I'm don't mean to say it was a pos, just not as nice as others to live with. There certainly are way more aftermarket things for it than nearly any car out there. I just could not have a garage queen then and needed/wanted to drive it, sometimes on longer trips. At the time I then drove a beater truck all the time and I was tired of that.

I should note nothing broke on it while I had it, though the clutch cable was getting bad. Can't find a pic of it here...I painted the whole car after a guy near tore the door off in a parking lot. Caught it with his bumper and scared the crap out of the girl I had then sitting in the passenger seat.

I sold the Mustang and bought the Laser, put a new head and turbo on it and still had less into a 3 year newer AWD car including the cost of parts and not counting my labor. I think it was about $1200 for a reman head, turbo, all belts and gaskets at the time but I got it dirt cheap because of that.

tripledude
06-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Dave, Given the choice of a cruise night or Blarneys on a Thursday night, I'd have to take Blarneys. Cold beer, good lookin' women and of course the boat drags. If you stop by my place on the way to the Rumble, I'll take ya for a ride. You'll also like the "museum." I like to buy off the wall stuff for decoration. My cousin, who was with me in Ottawa, says it's like going to Bennigans restaurant. I've got a couple of wood airplane props (one is mounted to a custom wall mount and can actually be spun.) Old sleds straddling the exposed rafters. The two sided English pub sign I picked up while at Bike Week. A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a Soap Box Derby car but unsure of where to put it. It's a little big to hang in the house. Maybe upside down from the garage ceiling???