PDA

View Full Version : Greg

WaterBoy
05-13-2004, 08:17 PM
My wife and I are going to buy a digital camera, I will be using it for boating and outdoor things, She'll be using it around the house and at family gatherings and of course the kids. I was wondering which Nikon's you have and like the best. I was looking at a nikon coolpix (5700?) I think.

Waterboy

Scream And Fly
05-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Waterboy,

I have a bunch of Nikon cameras, and all work great. The 5700 is one of the best non-SLR cameras you can buy, but it might be a bit too much for casual photo taking. It's not very small, and it has many, many features which can make the camera confusing to operate for a casual user. It WILL take amazing photos though. It really depends on how much time, money, and effort you want to invest in mastering a camera like that.

The Coolpix 5400 is another option, and it will shoot very good images, but its zoom is not as good. Personally, I do not like the "Ultra Zoom" series of cameras from Olympus, but the bottom line is, try each camera out and choose the one you are most satisfied with.

My everyday "workhorse" camera is a Nikon E995, which is almost three years old and it STILL takes better images than most other 3+ megapixel cameras. I have a 5700 as well - I use that now for most articles you see on this website.

Remember: More megapixels does not mean more quality! I've seen 2 megapixel cameras shoot better quality images than some 5 megapixel cameras.

Greg

WaterBoy
05-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks Alot. You know anywhere I can compare prices on camera's also?

Jason