PDA

View Full Version : Best batteries?

mendo
05-13-2004, 03:23 PM
OK, I'll go, My digital eats batteries, any thoughts?
What kind of batts are best? I actually have pretty good luck with rechargables, they don't quite last as long but at least I don't throw them away,

Thanks,

Here is a pic, moving in boat, holding camera over side.

Greg, note: decals visible just above deck on bottom of cowl!
:D :D

pyro
05-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Yep, Nickel-Metal-Hydride, NiMH rechargeables. Build a little army of these and keep 'em charged, have a couple extra sets with you. The newer Energizer Accu Rechargeables are 1850 mAh capacity, pretty good.

Lithiums are disposable and cost a lot but will last a long time if you don't have the time to change betteries in the middle of a special event.

j.iverson
05-13-2004, 03:32 PM
That's a really good question, I'm curious what the answer is too. I have been told by camera guys to buy Nimh rechargeable batteries, but I find they don't last even close to as long as disposable ones. They claim they are suppose to last long, but I find I am recharging all the time, in the winter it gets really old switching batteries after 20 photos, and having to carry around 3 sets of spares on trips.

Scream And Fly
05-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Looks great - thank you for the support!

As for batteries, that depends on the camera. If your camera takes standard "AA" batteries, Nikon offers a kit that includes two rechargeable "AA" size batteries and the charger.

If the option is available, always choose Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries over Nickel-Metal Hydride.

That seems to work very well. The way digital cameras can comsume lithium batteries, rechargeable batteries seem to be a much better investment.

Greg

jerry
05-13-2004, 06:37 PM
cool pic .

Techno
05-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Something I discovered by accident is the nimhs go dead even if they're not used. That explains why my camera is usally dead when I go to use it.
The Alkaline types go dead very fast if using the camera. Might try those lithium if they last a lot longer.

ripperd2
05-13-2004, 09:16 PM
I have a cannon a70. It takes 4 AA sized batteries.

I went and bought a 4 pack of energiser 2100mah nimh batteries. I honestly can take 300-500 pictures between charges. I have charged it 3 times and taken approx 735 pictures since I bought it in late febuary. That looks like it doesn't add up but it does, i have charged them before they were dead twice just to make sure I could take many pics on one of my snowmobiling trips. This camera is one of the easiest cameras on batteries though. It also still works great when it gets below freezing. My old camera would go dead in 5-10 minutes when it got below freezing.

-Dean

pyro
05-14-2004, 06:00 AM
WOW, so now the Energizers are 2100 mAh capacity, eh?

Rechargeables won't last as long as disposables. But why would you want to keep buying throw-away batteries???

Charge the set that's in the camera when you're not using it, so they won't be near dead when youy need to use it.
Keep at least 2 extra sets charged and ready.

The camera's display uses the most power. If you're doing lots of simple "AUTO" outdoor point-and-shoot, then turn off the display and use the viewfinder.

Techno, how long did they sit before going dead? I've never had this problem.

Greg, they make Li-ION AA's? Where do you find those?

-Chad

Techno
05-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Not sure how long- a week? weeks? I know if its left hooked to the computer its just like being on, even if its off.

Mine is an energy pig normaly. zoom, focus antishake and all that stuff. Has an imaging display in the eyepeice too so it always is sucking it down when on.
Also has a selectable auto off which is set for 1/2 minute.
I did get a 2nd set but will try those others out.

Pete
05-18-2004, 05:59 PM
I use Optex CamPower 1850mAh.
they work really well and rechargable.

mouaclan
05-27-2004, 02:26 PM
i have the best results with Monster Powercells. a little more expensive, but lasts alot longer and they're rechargable.

pyro
05-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Those are both 1850 mAh.

I also just bought more Energizer NiMH AA's, and they are indeed 2100 mAh now. Are those the highest capacity Hydride cells made currently?

mouaclan
05-27-2004, 02:38 PM
i did find some AA that were 2000, but that's about it. I use to take alot of pictures in clubs using flash in every shot, and these seems to last the longest for me.

ripperd2
05-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by pyro
Those are both 1850 mAh.

I also just bought more Energizer NiMH AA's, and they are indeed 2100 mAh now. Are those the highest capacity Hydride cells made currently?

As far as I know they are. They weren't too expensive either. I will soon miagrate to those for my r/c car transmitter as soon as these alkalines here die.