PDA

View Full Version : Hey Raceman

Rickracer
05-12-2004, 09:11 PM
I'm working on a 1963 fuelie Vette. I don't know much about the injection system on these, but I'm ready and need to learn. Got any info sources? I found a couple of basic pictorial descriptions of the systems, but nothing in the way of a trouble shooting guide, nor any adjustment procedures. This thing came in with burnt points and gas fouled plugs. Now it runs decent, but it's still running pretty rich. I'm hesitant to just start taking the system apart without having a pretty good idea how to go about adjusting it once I get it cleaned up (assuming it needs cleaning). Most of what I've read suggests it may be varnished up inside much like a carb would be, so I think cleaning it up may be a necessary step, but I'd rather try to see if it would respond to some adjustments before going hog wild on a teardown and cleanup. I'd appreciate any info or sources you can supply. :cool: I can send you some pics of it if you'd like too. :D

sms
05-13-2004, 07:05 AM
Hey Rick, not Raceman here, but I have a repair and tuning guide for the fuel inj. units. I'll bring it to the office tomorrow (Friday)and UPS it to you. Just send it back when you're done. Let me know if that'll work or if you need something quicker.
Bill

tripledude
05-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Rick, Your problem is typical of those back "in the day." An uncle had a new fuelie in 62 and found one guy who could work on the thing. Many units back then found their way into the trash heap and were replaced by standard carbs. A friend of mine may be able to steer you. He's had a 62 for years. Don't have his number at my fingertips but his name is Jim Christopher. He's part owner of Villa Park Harley Davidson in Illinois. Look up the number and tell him Clyde sent you. He's probably just standing around the showroom looking macho anyway and could use a conversation that doesn't revolve around chrome acorn nuts. By the way, I hope to get out and get some pictures of that boatlift this weekend.

Rickracer
05-13-2004, 06:36 PM
I messed with it a bit today and cleaned up the idle a bit, but it still needs work, and basically it's mine (in the shop) till it's done. I love makin stuff work that everybody else has given up on. Thanks Tripledude, but this is gonna take more than some conversation. When I go I go bigtime, I want to learn this thing inside and out. :cool:

sms
05-14-2004, 07:30 AM
Hey Rick, I just left you a voice mail. Call me or post your UPS mailing address and the manual is on it's way.
Bill

Update: Got it (street adress) from Barb, books en route, you'll have it monday.

Rickracer
05-15-2004, 07:53 AM
That is much appreciated. And it goes to show what a great community we have here. Hopefully when I am done, I will be a Rochester FI guru. Thanks again. :cool:

sms
05-28-2004, 08:07 AM
Hey Rick, any photos and update on the 63 Corvette?

Rickracer
05-28-2004, 05:38 PM
I have been so busy with other stuff at work, I haven't had too much time to work on the Vette. I can take some pics tomorrow though. I did get it leaned out a bit, but maybe a bit too much. It needs to be driven some, but the customer hadn't picked up the tag till for it. He finally brought it in yesterday, so maybe Tuesday or Wednesday it can be driven a bit to see how it runs. I've been trying to figure out how I might duplicate that manometer setup described in the book, or whether it might actualy be needed. I'm pretty sure I lowered the fuel pressure a bit with my adjustments, but time will tell if it was a bit too far or not. :cool: