PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225 four stroke

thebone12
05-08-2001, 12:48 PM
Does anyone know when this beast is going to be let out. i heard april 2001 but I have not seen anything. Does anyone know where to get pics or specs. Thanks

seacow
05-09-2001, 09:06 PM
have seen 4 of the supposedly only 6 that have been sent out for testing at the river last week. the 225 only weighs 80 pounds more than reg 225 and oil tank, low end is not very strong but have great midrange. When we left they were doing fuel consumption test. the engine is not any bigger than the reg 225 when looking at cover,maybe 10%. the techs testing swear that it is all around better than the 115 4 stroke that yamaha makes, it is definetly quieter. i will try to get up with the techs to find out the final verdict about the motors tomorrow.

jimmyb
05-10-2001, 07:40 AM
I hope it is better than a 115... since it is a 225! :)

80# more than a HDPI or a standard 3.1 EFI?

W. Tripp
05-10-2001, 07:49 AM
Here is a press release on the F225A engine.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/news/2000-07-17/f225a-e.html

I hope this helps.

thebone12
05-10-2001, 01:24 PM
I also hear that honda is working on a 200 hp, monster. i dont want to even see the weight on this pig if the 130 honda is at 496 lbs. So you figure the honda 200 is going to be pushing 625 or 650 lbs. i am gratful the dfi's are around.

thebone12
05-10-2001, 03:43 PM
I also heard that mercury is coming out their own four stroke that is based on one of their old stern drive blocks, from what I have heard it is supercharged and putting out 250 hp a offshore model to a screaming 425 hp with the supercharger balls to wall. Has anyone else heard of this or is it from a dream i had!

seacow
05-10-2001, 07:20 PM
supposedly 80 pounds more than 3.1, including large oil tanks. testing was being done by grady white boats, still have not heard back from the guys doing testing to see what they think about it.

BarryStrawn
05-10-2001, 07:46 PM
Saw this the other day - sounds pretty similar to the Yamaha in concept.

http://www.honda-marine.com/13964.htm

seacow
05-10-2001, 09:06 PM
barry, i bet that will be a slow, heavy expensive piece if it is anything like their 130

sosmerc
05-10-2001, 10:30 PM
Like it or not, we have four strokes in our future. Just be
thankful the internal combustion engine doesn't get mandated out of existance. Seriously, it probably won't be too long before we start playing with performance versions of EPA approved 4 strokes. I predict that technology such as DFI, solenoid controlled variable valve timing, lightweight ceramic pistons and high tech plastic
covers, gears, etc. will find its way into performance products so that we "go fast folks" can still have our cake and eat it too. Based on what I see available in the auto world I don't think we are going to run "out of fun" in marine powerplants either. I'm waiting to see if DFI 2 strokes will live past 2006 or will 4 strokes be the only option.

W. Tripp
05-11-2001, 07:55 AM
For the future of four stroke performance take a look at http://www.theoldone.com/ - This is the site for Endyne, a company owned by Larry Widmer. Thier shop vehicle is a daily driven Honda civic wagon with a 1.6 liter engine with a modified Eaton blower that produces over 480 hp at 7300 rpm and runs low 11's inthe 1/4 mile, on pump gas.

The engine is a single overhead cam 4 valve design WITHOUT vtec and still runs air conditioning. Boost is a wonderful thing. Especially IF you have an unlimited supply of water for intercooling. Take a look at the Honda 130 hp outboard, and you will see many similarities and a LOT of possibilities.

The Yamaha/Mercury 1.7 liter 90/115 hp four stroke outboards are even better designed and weigh less than a Drag motor. The camshafts are marked FORD so a custom cam blank should be easy to get. With the right rod/stroke ratio and 15-20 pounds of boost....

BarryStrawn
05-11-2001, 10:07 AM
I agree that the future is four stroke. Emissions two strokes may survive but I doubt it. Four stroke will always be cleaner so there will be continuous pressure to improve. Standards will probably tighten up. Look at Orbital, a few years ago, there was a big buzz that automobiles might soon use two stokes and everyone was all excited about the possibilities of smaller, lighter, less expensive engines. Only thing I have seen recently is they may do something for a Russian econobox. Compare that to the global efforts for ultra low emissions four strokes. Orbital is also working on a four stroke system. Hedging their bets? Even Grand Prix bikes are going four stroke.

In my opinion, what we are seeing in the four stroke outboard market is very conservative powerplants designed for mass market acceptance. Yamaha/Mercury/Suzuki/Honda could certainly boost one of the four cylinders and get 300+HP. Well engineered and operated with restraint, it might even be as durable as a 280. But what I believe they are trying to do now is establish a good reputation for reliablity with consumers. I doubt they want the fast, expensive, and unreliable reputation although Mercury might with the racing division.

But I also believe boosted four strokes are an opportunity for the aftermarket or backyard engineer. Perhaps someone will offer an outboard kit for the bolt on crowd.

Barry

thebone12
05-12-2001, 01:09 PM
Has any way heard anything at the optimax 200 mercury high pro. I heard that it was delayed in coming out, and has anyone tried out the Ruderam with the lighting gear case, i hear that it is a good engine.

jimmyb
05-12-2001, 04:43 PM
the 200XS is being sold right now... that is the racing optimax 2.5L