PDA

View Full Version : ODBA Fuel Tech

W. Tripp
05-09-2004, 10:25 AM
With the second event of the 2004 season rapidly approaching, the officers of the ODBA would like to remind its competitors that failure to flush their fuel system with fuel from the race site prior to entering the water to race will likely cause their fuel to fail the rigid fuel tech standards.

The ODBA performs a 6 point fuel test that results in an extremly close set of standards. FAILING to flush the fuel system of your boat is an intentional act that can cause your fuel to fall outside the standards and fail fuel tech. This will result in the racer losing his points and standings for this event, and can result in a racer being banned from competition for a complete year.

We recommend that all racers show up at the event with a completely drained fuel system, and add a couple of gallons of fuel from the race site to their empty tank, turn on the fuel pump to circulate the fuel, then pump this fuel out of the boat prior to adding fuel to race. If you have been running pump gas, oxygenated race fuels, other brands of race gas or oil, OR IF YOU HAVE THE FOAM/SPONGE BRICKS IN YOUR FUEL TANK AND/OR USE A PAPER FILTER ELEMENT - you will need to flush your fuel system THOUROUGHLY!

TRACE AMOUNTS OF PUMP GAS AND OTHER BRANDS OF RACE FUEL OR OIL WILL FAIL THE FUEL TEST!

Techno
05-09-2004, 10:51 AM
I was wondering how much advantage can some one get by running a different fuel?
Wouldn't everyone end up running about the same thing.
Is this a timing and compression limiting thing?
How would someone cheat if it was run the fuel you brung?
Is the race supplied fuel a simple method of keeping everyone honest?

RichS
05-09-2004, 11:33 AM
Some of the power increasing componds can increase performance with a few ounces. It WILL be detectable with the very tight fuel testing that ODBA uses. But, if the material has been in the fuel system from the previous outing there will be enough of it in the system that it may not help performance at that concentration but you will still fail the fuel test. Pump gas can also contain oxygenats that will show up on the test from the residue in the system. What Wayne is saying is a warning and a good precation.

Techno
05-09-2004, 05:20 PM
I'm asking more why there is a supplied fuel. I know there is a reason for it-whats the reason?

RichS
05-09-2004, 06:02 PM
The spec fuel and oil at the race site makes it MUCH easier to do fuel testing. Ya got one thing fuel and oil to deal with. If ya get into trying to set rules on the fuel you can't police it without mega $. And then you would also get into the pissin match with the oils.
Wasn't it some years ago that a well known Prostock racer was mixing nitro into the oil in the crankcase and then running the breather into the intake:eek: :eek:
Hope that made sense.

Techno
05-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Wellllll kind of.
What would happen if there was no fuel testing and no fuel supplied. You run what you brung.
Anything went, as long as its gas. I imagine some stockers would have a problem with this but just how much of an edge is it playing with your fuel? If compression was changed wouldn't that be easy to check? Not sure of timing but????
I know racers do take advantage of a thousandths of an inch if they can. Wondering what a non fuel spec would have on the results.

RichS
05-09-2004, 09:26 PM
You would NOT survive if you were down wind!!!!:eek: Some of the best stuff to doctor gas would be used and almost ALL of it is VERY toxic!!! If there is $ on the line and there are no rules (ie. enforcement) the best CHEATER will win:mad: The good thing for the spectators would be that there would be some very entertaining engine explosions from those that tipped the can to much;)

Scream And Fly
05-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Wayne, does this mean I would have to flush the fuel system on my Carolina Skiff/Merc 25 if I take it to Jasper?:confused:

Just kidding.. I'll go away now :)
Greg

W. Tripp
05-10-2004, 05:49 AM
Each manufacturers fuel tests differently - specific gravity, dielectric, spectrometer, etc. Once you add oil it makes for an even greater variation in testing. The best way to prevent "doctoring" with the fuel is to mandate a fuel and oil of known specification and perform a thourough series of fuel tests.

As for how much of an edge can be gained by using different fuels and additives - SEVERAL BOAT LENGTHS at minimum. In the ODBA, a well set up Pro Fuel boat will run 1/2 to a full second quicker through the 1/4 mile than a top performing Pro Gas boat. When most classes are decided by less than a foot, a couple of boat lengths is a HUGE deal.

G-Train
05-10-2004, 09:28 AM
I've got a 28 Gal tank in my boat, and I'm sure it doesn't suck every ounce out when I drain it. I really don't want to take it out to empty it, but I'm getting worried that I might have a "trace amount of TORCO race fuel in my mixture. I've run * gals of Sunoco from Jasper thru it, and drained the rest, but if it leaves 1/2 gal, the mixture may still have a minute amount in it. Should I be worried about this, and take out the tank (which I don't want to do)?
Or am I worrying too much?

Thanks

Greg

SEE YOU IN WINCHESTER

W. Tripp
05-10-2004, 09:37 AM
I would suggest that you drain as much from the tank and fuel system as you can. Then at the race site, dump in a gallon of Sunoco and flush out the system before draining it again. I always had the same issues with my STV in Lakeracer because I test with Alisyn oil.

Techno
05-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Just wasn't sure how crazy someone will get.
On the fuel tank can't you use a portable tank and leave the installed tank in?

G-Train
05-10-2004, 03:47 PM
I could if I had one, but I got rid of the 5 gal extra I had.

G

Techno
05-10-2004, 08:08 PM
I have a few of them if you want one. 2 came with my boat and think I had 2 before that. I assume these can be mailed?

Rusrog
05-11-2004, 08:28 AM
IF you will come see me early on Saturday, I will pre-test your stuff to make sure that you are good for fuel... I am ODBA's Fuel tech and I will be happy to take a sample and tell you if you got it all out...

Anything I can do to help, let me know...

Russ Rogers
Ft Worth TX

G-Train
05-11-2004, 08:38 AM
Techno...Thanks for the offer, but Russ has made it easy for me.

Russ...That's what I'll do. I appreciate it much.

Greg

G-Train
05-14-2004, 03:16 PM
How far do will they tear-down a Mod Pro boat in Lake Racer?
Just want to know how long it'll take if I happen to place.

Thanks

G

sms
05-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by G-Train
How far do will they tear-down a Mod Pro boat in Lake Racer?
Just want to know how long it'll take if I happen to place.

Thanks

G

Budgeting your time around a post race teardown. I LIKE that kind of confidence early in the season!

W. Tripp
05-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Engine tech teardown is done by YOU, not the tech guy (make sure you have, or can borrow, the tools). Sometimes it only involves removing the heads and intake. Sometimes it requires laying the crankshaft on the table. It is up to the tech guy and what he wants to inspect each race.

They do not want to dissasemble the entire engine each race - the cost in time and gaskets would make it prohibitive for too many racers. But it is usually unknown to the racers until they get to tech. But with this race being the second race in the season, and the first Triple Crown event.......expect a thourough inspection.

I don't mean to be vague, but I don't want to ruin the surprise.

MattGreen
05-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Russ/Wayne,
What methods does ODBA use to analyze the fuel ?

Matt

W. Tripp
05-15-2004, 06:35 AM
The ODBA has several different meters to test the dielectric conductivity. The fuel is also inspected visually, for temp, for specific gravity, and with multiple reagent tests. If deemed necesary, there are several absorption tests that can be performed at the track. We also have the ability to have the fuel tested with a mass spectrometer, by an outside lab, or by the manufacturer.

The ODBA has gone to great lengths to develop strict testing protocols to make the competition as fair as possible, and we are always looking at the latest testing equipment and testing methods. The ODBA works closely with the DSRA and other racing organizations to compare and share ideas for fuel testing and its requirements.

Rusrog
05-18-2004, 08:36 AM
It's true that ODBA spends a bunch of money every year to ensure the most level of playing fields for all involved and it is money well spent.

If you have a question as to the legality of your fuel, or are concerned about remnants in your tank, come see me. I'll help anyone I can to make certain that all are legal.

Russ Rogers
ODBA Fuel Tech