PDA

View Full Version : VegasXT structural question for AnthonySS, Aqua, et. al.

05-08-2001, 11:27 AM
If you look under the bow, there's wood braces glassed into the bow section to strengthen it. I noticed a cracking sound as I crawled across my bow. Sure enough, the long width-spanning brace closest to the windshield can be wiggled slightly on the far driver's side. It isn't serious, you can't actually see any cracks or anything. It's just that the hand-laid mat and resin has softened and peeled away from the solid glass a little bit at the end of the board. Can I inject some kind of resin in behind it, to re-bond it where the original resin and glass has weakened? -Chad

[Edited by pyro on 05-08-2001 at 11:30 AM]

AnthonySS
05-08-2001, 12:02 PM
CHAD,

I’m not on an expert on glass repair so I’ll comment on what we used to do with the decks.

Yes that huge deck can make some cracking sounds when you walk out on them. We actually made some “L” Angle (Alum) column supports that ran from the floor to the longitudinal deck stiffener. Two angle columns in total, equally spaced. Not only did this help with the cracking sounds, but even-better, it reduced the shimming the deck did at speed. The shimmy is kind-of distracting.

Years ago when CE was building the Vegas, they actually put a ski locker under the deck that was really a brace to secure the deck to the floor. It went right down the middle and was about a foot wide. It looked like a console with a long glove box in the middle. On early Vegas’ the deck and the hull would “scissor” back and forth at speed. It wasn’t real nice, but the locker also added weight in the nose that didn’t help the boat either.

Hope this helps some,

Sincerely,

AnthonySS

05-08-2001, 12:44 PM
I am careful now as to where I walk on the deck. The largest square-shaped areas between the braces actually flex when I walk over them, so I try to walk directly over where I know the braces are. I try to avoid walking on it, anyway, because I polish and wax the **** out of it, and I'm going to fall on my ass one of these days. I was covering up my Baja one time, and while kneeling on top of the cover on the bow, the damn thing started to slide, and I fell in the lake with the cover. Dammit! It looks good when it's all polished and waxed, though. -Chad

Liqui-Fly
05-08-2001, 12:55 PM
Would have paid to see that. You have to be careful reinforcing decks cause you can get some print through. Using angle is fine but after a while the unsuppported area around the angle will sag and you'll be able to tell exactly where the angle is and it will look awful. One more layer of fiberglass cloth would increase the stregth considerably but then you'd be adding weight to the bow which would be a no no for a big tunnel. Just as a reference for you...doubling the thinkness of a laminate will increase its strength 8 times. The best bet is to stay off the bow or just climb around the edges. LF

05-08-2001, 02:18 PM
I try to walk at the edge, but where the brace is loose is at the end of the board, close to the edge of the bow, close to the windshield. So, that's when I hear it cracking. Our dock arrangement sucks, and that's why I end up walking on it. At my parents' house, we have one 2-section dock. There's a quick dropoff, so the lifts are 5' from shore. MasterCraft Prostar 190 in the canopy lift on the right side, and the pontoon boat on the left side. On the left of the pontoon is a 14' Starcraft rowboat/15 Johnson, and left of THAT is where I have to keep my lift for the 'Stream. I have to jump across the back of the pontoon, leap into the rowboat like a monkey, then grab onto my lift as it drifts towards it, and climb up onto it. Instead of reversing that procedure, I just walk across the bow. It hangs over the shoreline, so I just hop off and I'm back in the front yard again. It's a pain in the butt to climb back ONTO the bow from shore, though.

O/B-1
05-08-2001, 02:31 PM
And I though I had problems! I would sell that stupid ol' lake front property and trailer my rig to the water. Screw all that climbing around in your front yard just to take a boat ride. (just playin)

Liqui-Fly
05-08-2001, 02:50 PM
to a particular spot which is the problem then you're all set. Use some epoxy and 3" glass tape in overlapping layers over the crack. 10 minutes and you'll be done. LF

Techno
05-08-2001, 03:04 PM
If I'm reading it right the glass has delaminated from the wood brace but is fairly intact?
If thats the case you could get Hypo injectors and epoxy to inject between the glass and wood. I haven't tried the hypos myself but they sell it with the WEST system epoxy area of the boat store.
If you wanted to reinforce you could try some of that klegcell or foam for coring and add a layer or two of glass. The thicker the foam core the stronger the sandwich.

05-08-2001, 04:41 PM
Techno, that sounds like what I need to do. You can see what looks likean air gap between the deck and the mat, and between the mat and the brace itself. It looks like it would be easy to inject some flowing resin behind the mat, where the gap can be seen. No big deal. This boat is in such mint shape, that I have to LOOK for things that are wrong. I'm kind of compulsive as far as cosmetic upkeep and such. I wipe every smashed bug off the windshield, and keep the teak stuff oiled. Mercs look better when the cowling has been hand-polished. -Chad

05-08-2001, 08:17 PM
No way I'd walk on the decks of the 'Streams I've had. Way too thin for my butt. I didnt like walking on my Checkmates decks either, and they're fully balsa cored! Pyro, can you droop a rope over the deck and swing around like Tarzan to put the cover on? LOL

05-09-2001, 09:37 AM
I only weigh 125 lbs. I am no threat to the structural integrity of the bow. I blame the loose brace on the previous owner walking on it.

Mark C.
05-09-2001, 11:15 AM
Pyro -

I've used West System with the hypo injector and it works well. If you can, try to get in there first with a miniature brush (or similar) with acetone to make sure things are clean for a good bond. After injecting, personally I would probably add a couple of layers of mat on the outside just to reinforce.