PDA

View Full Version : Wiring my boat- learning curve.

Techno
05-05-2004, 04:07 PM
First thing is you can about throw out the "approved" wiring color codes since striped wire isn't available.
Ancor wire can be webbed from west marine which for me is down the street.
Bought by foot, small variable foot $5 coils or 100' spools. The $5 coils are cheap by the foot price but since the 12 Ga. is sold in 13' rolls is too short. Cheaper to pay more for the foot price custom length. One wire is needed of 78' its cheaper to buy a 100' roll, well cost $5 more but I have more wire too. Its a highly used black so will need lots of it.

There is a selection of colors but since alot of stuff needs stripes this has to be compenstated for.
So the striped wires will get several bands of colored shrink tube. Kind of 'striped' color. Yellow with red bands instead of striped.
Some colors I'm not bothering with since it gets a bit involved.
Mostly so I know what the ends of what wire does what and goes where kind of thing.

The battery wire is something I'm skipping. I can get used welding cable for free and in my setup would require about $180 of battery cable. At least this can be sealed and checked when needed.
Fuel & bilge pump relays are dropped. Since seems a better idea to use 12 ga for the pump and skip the relay and its draw.

Still hemming and hawing for the ignition switch and crank switch. Want a momentary mushroom head for crank and a push pull mushroom head for off. None found fit exact wants so might have to make the switches on the panel and have them operate toggle switches.:rolleyes: Here we go again...might as wells.