PDA

View Full Version : Ignition circuit? and others.

Techno
05-02-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm planning on eliminating the key start and the whole engine harness. Most of the wires in this thing aren't needed?

So check me on this seems that all I need is
-Black/yellow wire to the switch box for OFF/RUN. This is open to run? closed to shut off right? Grounded to shut off and is also run to the safety switch?
-Red power feed- non switched.
-Black ground to starter relay. Also is the grounding wire for the black/yellow off switch? Again to shut off engine this wire is grounded?
-Yellow/red to starter relay for crank. Powered from the RED power feed. No neutral safety switch.
Only 4 wires.

-Purple is switched power and not needed. Using a switch panel.
-Grey is tachometer and is not needed. Different tach feed used.
-Tan to detonation controller and don't have one so not needed.
Seems that there are no other wires needed that are part of the harness.
- No neutral safery switch.

Considering a push button switch for crank and one of those shielded safety toggles for RUN/OFF.
Off is down and closed but pick up the cover and throw the switch for run. Then crank. To shut off hit the safety cover.
No key. No enrichment system. EFI and not sure if it uses it.

Safety switch shuts engine off and also fuel pump.
Switch panel operates all guages, pumps, lights. Non-switched power. Battery feed.
Maybe even EFI to eliminate its always on but not sure of that one. I will have a battery disconnect. If the EFI is dash switched is shutting off the + power alright as long as its always grounded?
EFI relocated into the boat.
Relays for fuel and bilge pump.

BTW. The switch panel is that christmans tree in my icon and has all the bells and whistles. Diodes and filtering stuff.

captcarb
06-15-2004, 04:43 PM
You will need an enrichenng circuit for starting.

Jim

Techno
06-16-2004, 04:49 PM
I don't think so. The EFI does this and some of the circuits show the enrichening wire not hooked up.

Did start on coding my wire and bought the switches, not the ones mentioned though.

So far my color code comes out
brown for pumps
grey for lighting
yellow for ignition
Plus a few odds and ends.
Shrink tubing makes these colors "striped":rolleyes:

I am changing one item. The start wire is + to the solnoid. I'm switching it around so its Negative and the relay is fed positive -wired. Its reversed from how 'they' do it.
The reason is less wires running through the boat positive and IF I connected the start/kill backwards won't do anything since they will both be grounds.
Don't seem to make any diff either way and I wonder why they run a positive wire to it instead of a ground? To the starter relay.

captcarb
06-22-2004, 06:42 PM
it shows the enrichening circuit either hooked up to the ignition switch or the starter solenoid. The 245 hooks it up to the switch. The early 260 hooks it up to the relay. The late 260 hooks it up to the switch. The ignition switch is the preferred location. This circuit provides the signal to the EFI to add more fuel for starting. This subject has been discussed at length on this forum. Don't run your battery down.

Jim

Techno
06-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Solenoid- I'll do that and save some cranky-ness. And its easy.
Thanks!

captcarb
06-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Like I said before the switch is the preferred location to prevent flooding on a warm start. You can then control how much enrichening you get. Hooking it to the relay will give enrichening all the time the starter is turning which is too much in most cases.

Jim

Techno
06-22-2004, 09:59 PM
There is no switch to hook it up to.