PDA

View Full Version : New use for old stereos.

Techno
04-30-2004, 04:39 PM
I have a system in my Caddy that won't be needed anymore and was considering installing it in the boti. Well weight aside there isn't much power left over even with the 2nd battery.

Got the brain stain. Build an enclosure for the 2-10" woofs, 4 -6" coaxs, head unit, amp, crossover. Toss in a small decent motorcycle like battery and I gots a super boom box. Toss that in the boat when needed. Garage. Basement.....

To keep weight down using carbon to build it. Still shaking the style/shape out.

I doubt this will be the standard carry it around type but should easily be moveable.
Since I already have the guts the box should be fairly cheap in the end. Wondering if this would be a price alternative to a boom box even buying whatever componants you wanted? This method you get as much boom as you want to carry and no more.

mendo
04-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Not a bad Idea, I think the biggest limit would be the batteries.

Hottrucks
04-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Run a cigarette lighter plug from the battery and you can plug it in to your truck and it will be fully charged when ya get there!! Then just take it out and turn it up to 11

Techno
04-30-2004, 07:05 PM
OOPs. I totaly forgot about plug ins. Like the lighter charger deal.
Or a wall wart for running it, charging it.

MirageSmack
05-01-2004, 02:27 PM
I want my stereo in my console if I can find a spare. It pops right out. I have huge 4 inch wing nuts to hold the speakers in the gunwale area. A quick twist off and they are gone. The amp would ahve to stay though, mounted way up under the front of boat. The sub up front will pop out also.

Gotta preserve those speed runs passes!

sho305
05-28-2004, 10:36 PM
I have seen cheap auto jumpers here for $30 with an ac charger, power gauge, and light in them. Doubt that alone would run a big amp for long, but an idea anyway. I have one I have not charged for a couple years...I just leave it on the car I jumped for a little, or I hook it on a battery I am slow charging. I think I might use one for a second stereo/etc battery in my boat.

Techno
05-28-2004, 11:21 PM
The battery they use in those jump starters is what Im planning on using.
as far as the weight thats addressed in 2 ways.
You eliminate all unneccisary weight where ever possible. So far I've replaced what I've removed.
2nd is you get a motor more powerful than you have the cahunas to run the boat at top speed:p If thats possible, for some they don't build them:eek: