PDA

View Full Version : Checkmate 21' Starflite

jonnyd
10-25-2001, 07:30 AM
Does anyone have any setup info. I'm running 97 2.5 260hp with 8" of set back. The boat runs 71mph on gps is there anymore .

pinbuoy
10-25-2001, 06:02 PM
I have an '89 Starflite with a 2.5/245 carb motor with no bullet nose and Detwiler jackplate. The setback from the jackplate is 6 inches, but I have matched spacer plates that add 4 more inches for a total of ten inches. However, the boat runs better with only 6 inches of setback. I can get 72mph @ 6900rpm's with a stock 24 Chopper, 6 inches of setback and the prop about an inch below the pad. With a 260 motor, you should be seeing 75mph. What wheel are you spinning, what rpm, and how high are you jacking the motor??

pinbuoy

jonnyd
10-26-2001, 08:39 AM
I'm running it as high as it go which is just above the bottom. My boat seems to run better with a laser prop than a chopper .The boat goes 71 at 7000 with the 24 laser and 69 at 7200 with the 22 chopper. Also I notice with all this set back the boat is alway bow light especially with the chopper. So I'v been reading about Merc trophy's and want to try one of them I hear I might get some more stern lift.By the way my boat is a 91 and I also run a sportmaster gearcase.

pinbuoy
10-27-2001, 10:25 AM
Hmmmmmmm, your gearcase could be hindering your performance. I used to run a stock gearcase with a Bob's Bigfoot nosecone. The boat ran about 3mph slower than with no bullet nose. You really don't need a bullet nose gearcase unless your doing over 80. Your rpm numbers look good though, so it's kinda hard to say. If you're looking for stern lift, I hear the Cleaver props create stern lift. I must admit, none of the Starflite owners I've ever spoken with have needed a cleaver prop. Are you sure you're not over-trimming or over-jacking the motor?? You should'nt have the propshaft above the pad, Even with 10 inches of setback, it should be no higher than even with the pad at it's highest.

pinbuoy

Toffen
10-27-2001, 05:47 PM
Hi!

Check out the test ScreamAndFly did with a Sportmaster lower unit and a stock unit (Fleetmaster). They also had a top speed in the 70ies, and the Sportmaster was by a far margin slower. I bet a Spinnelli that you lower unit is slowing down with 3-5 mph. The Sportmaster is made for 80-85 mph plus speeds.

I had a stock lower unit and added a Bobs Nose Cone (which has a thinner skeg than a Sportmaster - should be faster) and it proved to be just as fast as a Torquemaster lower unit (with a casted torquetab). As long you can get proper waterpressure, the stockunit should be the best. Check also www.scaryfast.com regarding their view on cones or not.

Cheers and good luck, Toffen G - Norway

84exciter
10-27-2001, 07:33 PM
I've got a 19' Exciter(same design as the starflight...-2' of deck).
I run a 2.6 gt johnson,cmc hyd. jack(5.5") 25" shooter and a cone w/o lwp's.I've hit 69.9 on gps at 6200(on the limiters).you need a prop with good rake and good bite(keep it in the water)I've got a 28 chopper it only does 74 at 6200.Checkmates don't really like surfacing props.try the thru hub
;)

jonnyd
10-28-2001, 09:08 AM
Thank the info I'll let you know how it turns out

popeyebob
10-28-2001, 09:47 AM
My 21' starflight is setup with 10" of setback, c.m.c. lift ,I jack it up quite a bit, but I cant give you a number on height. I am running a stock small hub trophy on a 1989v-200 merc. Best gps so far is 67 mph. I am down on hp from the rest of you guy's, but love the relyability. The small hub trophy has been a hoot !! The hole shot it give's is tremendous. When I first tried a trophy, it was at firewater, and you couldnt grind the smile off my face. I dont know if it give's much stern lift, but you can lift the bow up without a ton of positive trim. I run best with the motor about 2 or 3 degrees past verticle. Stock gearcase.
The stock trophy outrun's my best D.A.H. modified yamaha, so far. I cant wait to see what he can do for the trophy.
By the way, to all starflight owners, CUT OUT ALL THAT WATER SOAKED FOAM FROM YOU'R FRONT FLOTATION AREA !!!!
I found over 200lb of water soaked foam in mine, and it is right up in the nose, where you dont want it. Drill a hole in the bottom of the devider into the bow, if water run's out, you have wet foam.

jonnyd
10-29-2001, 08:15 AM
Funny you mention the foam in the bow because I was in the process of remving the deck hardware and found that foam behind that bulkhead. Mine seems to be dry but I'm removing it anyway to get to the bow raillings.Have you had to replace the floor yet, just wondering what to expect. I'm going to replace mine sometime soon I think I have water traped under it , plus it looks like 3/4 ply. Want to replace with foam core to reduce weight.

popeyebob
10-29-2001, 08:48 AM
The foam will be dry on the top. Unless you ripped the complete carpeted panal out, you wont find the water. Mine was dry on the top two or three inches.They glassed that devider panal to the bottom, and it hold's water. I weighed my foam after I cut it out, and it was over #200. No wonder I couldnt get the bow up!! People couldnt even drag me up on the sand bar.
My floor seem's o/k, but who know's. I did drill a 3" hole through the balsa core to mount a depth sounder puck, and the balsa was dry.

DRAGIN FLY
10-30-2001, 09:07 AM
cross your fingers when you cut the floor out about 1/2 of the floors I cut out have rotted Stringer under them but C-Mates or built pretty will so maybe not. I was out wave jumping my Velocity with a V8 two days before cutting out my floor the stringer rotted so bad I don't know why the bottom did'nt jump up and hit me in the ass GOOD LUCK