PDA

View Full Version : anyone that know about gps

progression22
04-29-2004, 01:10 PM
I was looking at rex marine and i came across the autometer gps speedo. It said you have to use a garmin reciever. My question is could you use a garmin 176c as the reciever because i have that mounted in the boat already. I really don't want to spend $500.00 just to make the dashboard look better, but i will spend $200.00

P.S just note the ugly black speedo

MarkHP
04-29-2004, 01:25 PM
The 176 has a NMEA 0183 ouput. I don't know if autometer speedo accepts this as the input signal or not. This interface is a popular standard for autopilots etc. and is configurable on the 176. I suggest you ask the question of the speedo manufacturer just to make sure.

MarkHP
04-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Typing faster than I think.......... why change the speedo, can't you use the 176 to display speed ?

progression22
04-29-2004, 01:35 PM
I just put all livorsi monster ( white face ) gauges in the boat and i took the speedo pickup off and the black speedo looks like ****

MarkHP
04-29-2004, 02:01 PM
It looks like the receiver that they sell for the Auto Meter is the Garmin GPS 35 OEM receiver.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps35/

I think the 176 will do the same as both have NMEA compatable interfaces. I suggest you call Gamin and ask the question.

Or you could just plug the speedo hole in the dash (maybe a can holder ) ;)

progression22
04-29-2004, 06:19 PM
I am going to call garmin tommorrow and see what they say

STV_Keith
04-30-2004, 12:04 PM
I believe that 35 is the receiver they sell. You can find it cheaper elsewhere, but there are 3 versions, and I'm not sure which version is required. I have that speedo already, but not the antenna.

They offer an HVC, LVC, and LVS. They mean:

GPS35-LVC Attached 10 foot power/data cable with bare wire ends. Accepts power from unregulated low voltage power supplies between 3.6 and 6 VDC. Asynchronous serial data interfaces via 2 serial ports with CMOS voltage level outputs, RS-232 polarity.

GPS35-LVS Attached 10 foot power/data cable with bare wire ends. Accepts power from unregulated low voltage power supplies between 3.6 and 6 VDC. Asynchronous serial data interfaces via 2 serial ports with true RS-232 voltage level outputs.

GPS35-HVS Attached 5 meter power/data cable with bare wire ends. Accepts power from unregulated high voltage power supplies between 6 and 40 VDC. Asynchronous serial data interfaces via 2 serial ports with true RS-232 voltage level outputs.

The connector on the speedo is a proprietary one. I have the dummy connector with wires coming out, but no antenna yet.

progression22
04-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Keith,

I check every where and the cheapest i found it was 199.99 and i feel that too much to spend on a sender when i already have the garmin 176c chartplotter that tells me speed. So it 4 and change to fill hole.
Did you try hooking up a handheld gps to that gauge? It's the autometer one? There is a difference between the livorsi and gaffrig. The autometer is different

STV_Keith
04-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Well, I talked to my GPS guy and here's the deal. That 35 is more than an antenna. I had originally thought that all it needed was an antenna, and that the GPS stuff was in the speedo. With that in mind, I was going to just add a Titan III 29-db gain antenna, the same one I run on my GPS V.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. The antenna they sell is the 35, which has a GPS card in it. It's a gps and antenna all in one.

Apparently, there are several wires coming out of the 35. Power, ground, signal, etc. The signal that it puts out is a generic NMEA signal.

My guy told me if I really wanted to go for it, I could even use the output from my GPS V, set it to NMEA and give that feed to the speedo.

Too much work for me though. Now that I know what antenna it is, I can get it for $170, but for $205 from Rex, I'll just buy it and call it a day so I don't have to hassle with it.

Techno
04-30-2004, 04:54 PM
They're not GPSs but receivers. They don't do anything but the brain work and send the info to a display. Like the speedos.
A hand held GPS should work but if the connector on the back is not a standard then if you can buy the speedos connector should be able to make a pigtail.
The whole point of hooking up a hand held to the dash speedo is to save $200 bucks. Even aside from that a handheld with display goes for $100 VS a receiver only. Go figure?

STV_Keith
05-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and bought the Rex unit. Turns out it is a 35 HVS after all, and comes with their little connector deal. You can get the 35HVS at GPS city here: http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/3015.2.4373235656415104090/oem35hvs.html

I'll sell someone my extra connector if anyone is interested to save a few dollars...$12 plus shipping (what I paid). I'll also send a copy of the instructions on which wires to hook up to what. :)

JJB
05-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Does anyone offer a complete kit......receiver, wiring, and speedo head for us dumb sh&^s...something thats a plug and play type....or is there a speedo head that would work for a garmin gps 72...the 72 has options available like a power/data cord?

JJb

STV_Keith
05-20-2004, 11:04 AM
You can buy the complete kit from Rex Marine. I bought the speedo first, then wanted to see if I could adapt my existing receiver to it. That won't work, so I then bought the antenna they offer - which is the GPS 35 Garmin unit.

JJB
05-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks Keith.........

JJB

merklebob
08-27-2004, 04:26 PM
the garmin 35 is a complete gps without a display. its the gps norsberb [sp] uses and several other gps speedo use. check the haicon 204 pc at semsons [google search] the unit is simular to the garmin 35, puts out nmea 2.2 and is $95 delivered [but needs a 12 to 5 volt reducer for power].

you need to make sure what nmea output the speedo head requires. there's nmea 1.5, 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 3.0 gps on the market.

i've been researching for the correct gps to connect to my smartcraft system.