PDA

View Full Version : Best lifejacket?

Toffen
10-24-2001, 03:43 PM
Hi!

What is the best lifejacket for offshore use? New boat next year - Skater 24 & twin Merc 2.5's. Maxspeed 120 mph in calm conditions, 60-70 mph offshore.

Cheers and thanks, Toffen - Norway

Firestarter
10-24-2001, 03:58 PM
no doubt a Lifeline, in the offshore version. It is more buly that a security, but that I think would aid in an accident with padding you. I have both a lifeline and a security and feel the extra expense of the lifeline is well worth it.

RT

Techno
10-24-2001, 05:04 PM
I was confused by the different Jackets on Securities site. I called and talked to them and they explained the difference between the offshore and Outboard. They make alot of different flavors of these things, so its best to call either company and talk to them.
An Offshore jacket might be the best (ha - ha)

I see the comparision between "Security" & "Lifeline" and am confused by this. Which models?
I am quite sure that either company supplies a good jacket and will make what you want if they don't already offer it as a premade type.

Firewalker, I don't want it to seem like I'm argueing or anything but which model of security do you have? The one I bought is almost over kill in bulk and stuff. I don't have a lifeline but have thought of getting a second jacket from them, but a lighter more comfortable one. maybe esier to put on. With 2 then I can take a passenger, if I can find one, and I'll have a choice of which jacket when I'm alone.
I was thinking of doing the same with the helmet , getting an open face as the closed is hard to put on sometimes, and hot. I've had to ride at first with the shield up because of the fogging.

Two things I've found difficult.
Since the helmet goes on first I can't see the closures on the jacket at all. I have to do it by feel, I did think a head and practiced ..
Fastening the helmet proerly is something of a hassle too.

In either case its well worth the feeling of invulnerability they provide.

LJL
10-25-2001, 03:51 AM
Toffen,

If you want the best life jacket vest the money can buy, get Frodé´s. I've had several makes (Grabner, Lifeline, Frodé) of race jackets, and the Frodé's are the best. They have superior design. They are not very convinient, but they'll protect you the best. Check out the website: Frodé (http://www.frode.se/)

Firestarter
10-25-2001, 08:24 AM
Techno, I agree--sort of.
My Lifeline and security are both "offshore models", both have padding, but the lifeline has at least double if not triple the pad. It has a lot better hardware on it to. but the security is more comfortable and easier to put on.
As for helmuts--I am a full face guy, I feel safer and that to me makes a difference. I should probable wear a restraint too.
And to argue a little (hehe)the helmut goes on last.

RT