PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning pontoons

missinglink
04-21-2004, 06:07 PM
What would be good to use to clean aluminum pontoons not really dirty just dull been that way since new.Thanks

half fast
04-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Get you some aluminum wheel cleaner at a local parts store.It will be diluted hydroflouric acid,mix apx. 50/50. Put it on with a pump up sprayer. One maybe two gallons should do. hf...

Central Metal
05-07-2004, 07:27 PM
I use Zep acid works great. http://www.zep.com/

Shadow804
05-28-2004, 12:46 AM
I've Used Toon Brite Before And It Works Very Well . Very Acid Based Though; I Wouldn't Have The Boat Sitting On A Trailer When I Sprayed It On !!!:eek:

josh7_78
07-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Zing, it is a type of bleach and has taken everything off of anything i've put it on, burns your hands though.

150aintenuff
07-29-2006, 12:57 AM
zepalum mixed 50/50 with water and a SOS pad.. shines like new and the SOS restores the gran rolled look if done in a linier fassion.. then add some elbow grease in the form of a high speed buffer and some green jewelers rouge and it will come out like a MIRROR.. then to keep it looking like that go get some SHARK HIDE protectant coating for the aluminum.. and all you will have to do after that is wash it with standard auto car wash. there is so many aluminum hulls around here that the water is darn neer beer yellow from all the recycled budwieser cans... even the boys at Liquid Technologies built a 44 foot offshore powerboat out of aluminum...

hsbob
08-07-2006, 09:42 AM
the west coast fishermen use miratic acid [brick cleaner] for a hardware store. works good but read the precausions on the bottle.

Juggernaut
08-07-2006, 03:32 PM
nevrdul?

White Ally02
12-20-2007, 03:14 PM
There is a mag & wheel cleaner you can get at auto parts for cleanin this, It is very easy to use, just spray it on and wait a couple of mins then rinse it off, it will look like new! also to keep it lookin shiney longer, I wax it good afterwards.

soaknseated
02-07-2008, 12:34 AM
friend of mine just takes his to the local semi truck car wash and they spray some type of acid that cleans it up like new. he has his boat in a slip year round and just takes it out once every month or two to have it done.

Jason Johnson
02-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Alum-a-bright, mix 50/50 with water. I use and engine hoist to lift the boat off the trailer one toon at a time. Works VERY WELL. Get 150.00 a boat all summer long, the toon owners love it, SAVES GAS, LOOKS LIKE NEW again. Takes too hours pick uop and delivery, my trailer. Good pocket money for my little projects.

bits&pieces
02-22-2008, 03:16 AM
toon brght,mag wheel; black jack,srarkbright,on off,all have acid. the trick to use 2 people one spraying smale section at a time while othrt guy brushes it and spray off ASAP with pressure washer. This DOE'S keep it from streaking which isVERY easy to do,And hard to get the streaks out. if your using a strong mixtureIt WILL streak worse.Always mix, and ALWAYS takes the luster or shine off.buffing is long and hard but looks really good,cause not many go that far to make the poontoons like better than new .a gal. cost less then &10.00 and will do the whole pontton.good luck.I learned this gr0wing up working at my marina

BBShydro
02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
the best pontoon cleaner is made by barnacle bills in lake havasu az 928-855-8883 i use it all the time works great and fast and easy to use