PDA

View Full Version : Project Vector/FrankenRude

Instigator
10-23-2001, 10:23 AM
Boat is a '77 and is on a bottom jig in the garage getting recored and rigged right now.
Setting it up as a race boat with foot throttle, trim on floor and cable/pulley steering.
Motor is a 1987 GT 200 bridgeport OMC motor.
Sent the block out to Al Stoker where he added finger ports and poked it to 3 liters.
Am doing my own porting, have already cut the factory heads and also cut down the stock mid section to 16" and added a Bob's snout.
Have big bore carbs, light weight flywheel, and 10 amp stator.
The motor is also on a very strick weight reduction program.
I have a box marked "dead weight" for all the "stuff" I've pulled, am at about 35 lbs so far.
Will run on race gas and am being quoted 320 - 330 HP's at 83 - 8500 RPM reliably.
Have access to a dyno for development of a couple of ideas I have also??
This project started out as a top end rig, and will still spend most of its time there but am now seriouslly considering doing a couple of ODBA races.
Went Balls to the wall on this project when I started it this Spring, but after spending a ton of money and time already I've slowed down a bit.
Combination of cash flow problems and wanting to be very carefull in my port lay out since I only get one chance to do this right!!
My goal was to have this thing done in time for this Summer's "Rumble on the River" so I could screw with some of you Merc guys, but just ran out of time and money!
Next summer it will be done and dialed in time for the Rumble!!
http://www.essbasetools.com/rumble/index.html

Flat Out
10-23-2001, 12:48 PM
That Vector should fly with that kinda' power. Drove one this fall w/81 Johnson 235 w/ my 29SRX 6500+rpm. what a ride. You definately want to trash the heavy stuff. I love OMCs but they are heavy. A stock looper is 450lbs. thats alot of weight hanging on the back of a 17' Vector.I would use little if any set back because of the weight. Hope the transon is real strong, knee braces etc.
Good luck with it, take your time learning how to tame the beast.

Firestarter
10-23-2001, 12:53 PM
you have any pictures of the progress?

love to see em

Rt

rocko
10-25-2001, 01:09 PM
Sounds like it's gonna be a fine rig when it's finished.I'm just putting the finishing touches on my 85 vector,I had to do it all,bottom ,transom,stringers.knees & dash,but it turned out real nice. I sont have the kind of power you do.but I think it will do fine with what I've got, a 2.6 second effort with a mad efi midsection & reeds & cages. I'm using a flat slide plate to keep it close to the transom. Well good luck.

Instigator
11-02-2001, 11:03 AM
Should have some pictures of the stringers by early next week.
Planning on having the knees in by this weekend??
Rocko, have any pictures of your set up?? Sounds great.
Came very, very close to doing a flow instead of the looper.
Definately would have been a better balanced boat for all around playing.
One thing I'm gambling on is improvement in handling even with the pig on the back due to the positive feed back of the steering system, and a much lower center of gravity.
With the weight loss on the motor, a 4" shorter mid section, and I'm also dropping the seats about 4" lower (if I can see over the bow) :D :D :D I'm hoping to have a toy thats more fun than just going in a straight line.
Used to amuse myself for hours by dropping two bumpers in the water for turn markers!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Also, I'd be interested in your opinions on set back guys.
With the cut down mid, rigging would much easier with a plate.
Due to weight, probably don't need it though.
Jeff runs with one on his boat.
I am trying to rig to run with and w/o??

rocko
11-02-2001, 02:30 PM
I dont have any photos,but I will take some for you.I moved the bench for my seat foward about a foot & glassed it down on top of my stringers & to the side of each one [I had to adjust it cause I 'm only 5'9'' & figured it would be better cause I weigh close to 250 ] I put my wifes bench about a foot behind mine.For my steering I used dual Ride Guide tension-compression style & brought the cables right out the wings.I hope it all works out. I should be able to let you know nxt week if the weather cooperates. It been pretty nice here lately,but theres a storm brewing in the gulf.