PDA

View Full Version : Al. Hydro 19 April

Winger Ed.
04-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Well, the foam is pretty much in. The blocking and shaping has begun.

After carving out a foam boat with a Alum. frame, it'll be ready for the decking.

I couldn't get the sheet for the lower part of the nose to come out right, so even as I type, Hooty is on the way over to do his majic with fiberglass and cover the lower front end of the nose cowling.

Found a boat to salvage & get the engine from. Its a Merc. 2.4 carberated 150 horse. It should do for this year, then next winter I might set about getting a few performance parts and improve it some.

Thanks again for all yawl's interest & help on this project.

Ed.

Winger Ed.
04-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Here's the front end as we're about to glass in the nose. It's poured solid too, roughed out with a air sander, and shaped down with a sanding block the way the sponsons & sides will be done.

I got well into putting on the cowling across the rear behind the driver's station, until It dawned on me I didn't have the gas tank in yet. Getting a tank mounted in there after it was closed up could be done, but probably not by my full sized rear end. So, after the tank is in, I'll finish nailing down the cowling.

Hopefull this week I'll get all the shaping done with my home made, 2 ft long 20 grit sanding block, and the tank mounted.

Ed.

spn#43
04-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Can't wait, to see that thing go...:D :D
How long before it’s all done?

spn#43
04-19-2004, 04:29 PM
BTW here is mine:

Winger Ed.
04-19-2004, 05:37 PM
[i]
BTW here is mine:

Wow. That's a heck of a boat.

If this one comes out looking half that good, I'll be happy.

Its hard to predict when this one will be finished, but I'm hoping to have it done and in the water by June.

Ed.

Mark75H
04-19-2004, 08:27 PM
BTW here is mine:

Very cool! What class do you run?

spn#43
04-19-2004, 09:11 PM
I drive Mod-U/F-1, but this boat my brother used to run in Europe as Formula-500, powered by 4 cyl 500 (or 0.5l) Konig at speeds 100+ mph

Winger Ed.
04-20-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Mark75H
Very cool! What class do you run?

Actually, I just built this hydro, and the yellow 'D' to run around our area lakes in for fun, something different & unique to build, and to get out of the house once in awhile.

Like this one, sure its design is racing bred, but my boat probably won't be something I could ever enter in a class and win with.

I ain't a Fighter Pilot, or Boat Racer. The hull is going to end up being at least 150 pounds heavier than my competition, I"m at least 100 pounds heavier than the other drivers would be, and since I'd probably go out and compete with guys that have 10 times the budget I'm willing to spend on engines, and race against folks who have dedicated their life to winning boat races,,,,,,,,,,,

I ain't willing to take the time off, do all the driving, etc. etc. just to get my clock cleaned every time I show up.

No, I'm--- well, actually,,,,,, "we're" (cause I've had bunches and bunches of help at all stages of this thing) --- building this one just for fun, and to be able to outrun any jetski on the water.

When done, it'll be as safe, sturdy & stable as it can be, so someone who has been around boats most of their life, but never gone over 40 mph can get in it, wind it up, but not inadvertantly flip it, and die.

The only class I can think of to put this thing in is: "Toy".

Ed.

Gosh buddy, I can't get over it........

that's a great looking boat you got.

I envy that clear cowling you have on it. I thought and thought how to make & attach one like that for mine. I pretty much gave up on the idea & built this one the way its coming out to be, and planned on having to wear goggles, so I could just look over the front end instead of through it.

thaw ripper
04-20-2004, 04:06 AM
Our only limit to what we can achieve lies in what we can magine

:cool:

spn#43
04-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Winger Ed.

Gosh buddy, I can't get over it........

that's a great looking boat you got.

I envy that clear cowling you have on it. I thought and thought how to make & attach one like that for mine. I pretty much gave up on the idea & built this one the way its coming out to be, and planned on having to wear goggles, so I could just look over the front end instead of through it.

Thanks,
if you want you can see more pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/spn44

Page