PDA

View Full Version : ALWAYS SPILLING GAS !!!!!

RULE-1
05-07-2001, 05:18 PM
Why does my fuel cell vent always leaking out gas. This is a GrandSport and the whole time I'm driving, I smell gas not to mention the oil slick on the rear deck. Can I extend the vent hose and maybe loop it around? Right now the hose is about 3" inches long from the top of the tank to the vent. Any ideas from you fellow Forum members??
Thanks,------ RULE-1http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1479535&a=11142614&p=47312280&Sequence=0&res=high

05-07-2001, 06:50 PM
My Virage did that too, Dana. It had about 3 foot of hose on it, kind of lazy spiraled up to the vent fitting. 1/3 of it laid on the tank. I re-routed the hose so that it gradually rose to the vent, and that seemed to work. The hose fell back down with waves and started leaking again. I sold it before i could finish trying a better route, but sounds like you need a much longer hose to hold the splased fuel so it can drain back down. Good luck!

Techno
05-07-2001, 07:35 PM
I saw something called a surge protector. I think it was just a check valve. The problem with that is how does the fuel expand?
One simple way-maybe is to run it to a sort of tank. Or the same idea to a very large hose then back to the vent size.
I hope I don't have thsi problem.

One thing I was amazed at is the vent is 5/8" while the pickup is 3/8".