PDA

View Full Version : Got my Jet-Hot Hooker shorties in...

Scream And Fly
04-10-2004, 09:31 PM
They look great. The ceramic coating sure is cool too. Okay, who's ready to help me install them?:D

Greg

1BadAction
04-10-2004, 09:37 PM
i'll help, if you want to help do a cam/head/intake swap lol

Laker
04-10-2004, 10:19 PM
I would if you bought long tubes!:D ;)

Scream And Fly
04-10-2004, 10:24 PM
i'll help, if you want to help do a cam/head/intake swap lol

Yikes, that's quite a job! Sure, I'll help...

Chris, I thought about longtubes, but ruled them out for a few reasons. I don't want to switch to heated O2 sensors, tune the PCM, and of course - ground clearance issues. Last but not least, they are an even worse nightmare to install than these. My car doesn't have enough done to it to benefit from them anyway :)

Greg

Laker
04-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Well im not totally sure about LS1s but Ford 5.0 and Mod 4.6 motors they wake up big time with long tubes mostly stock form and really go when other mods are added.
Midwest dyno saw 32hp on my 88GT.. 99% Stock motor at the time. Made the poweband a good bit fatter too.:D :cool:

Scream And Fly
04-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Chris,

These are for my LT1. I remember your Mustang - that was a sweet car. I'm sure you miss it!

Greg

1BadAction
04-10-2004, 11:23 PM
ha ha, yeah greg, actually i am having my personal mechanic do it. he has the correct tools to set the valve lash (.000 actually) and to get the thing apart without breaking anything. also he has a lift which makes the job 100% easier. I also am installing the SLP long tubes at the same time, so it really is a big job. i'll help ya with the install anyways :)

Laker, its funny that you mention that # gain on your motor. on the desktop dyno with my motor modified, the shortys picked up 10 hp over manifolds, with long tubes it picked up 40 over manifolds :eek: from what i see the long tubes really start to shine when you use them with ported heads and bigger cams, as in my case (.585 lift) and $1,500 in head work...

i cant wait, this LS1 is a bad MF already. i think i am going to need a clutch :D then a rear, then u joints :) all in fun.

Laker
04-10-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks Greg! Ya I miss every one of the 5 mustangs I have had...
Stacie and I are gonna get the new style 2005> in a couple years.

When I started opening up the heads on my 5.0 then switched to holley heads the long tubes really came alive!

Raceman
04-11-2004, 03:35 AM
I think you shoulda' sprung for stainless. Since it won't ever get driven the ceramic's gonna get rusty over time.:rolleyes: My 427 Biscayne's got Hooker ceramics on it, and they're lookin' different than when new, even though it's never been run. They've been on it for several years and it's always been inside.

Travis Fulton
04-11-2004, 10:06 PM
i just bought a set of jet coated for my jeep project (401 amc) and they came with a original owner gurantee against rust , maby because they were done inside and out?? i also have a set on a 70 nova and they havent turned ? yet? hope they dont!!!

outboards4life
04-11-2004, 10:14 PM
I put headers on my truck. Man did that suck. I like the outcome but it was not fun at all getting the old manifolds off. I got really lucky that none of the bolts broke. It took me about 9 hours to get everything done. And my convertor is going bad so I get to change that now.
Have fun
Travis:cool: