PDA

View Full Version : Another wild goose chase.....63 1/2 XL

Raceman
04-08-2004, 07:10 PM
I guess if all old cars turned out to be as expected the hobby wouldn't be as much fun. I've had an itch for a 63 1/2 Ford R code Galaxie (427/425 horse, 4 speed) for a long time, but the right car just won't show up. There was one that showed on E Bay here in Ga, so even though it was 180 miles from here (1 way) a car buddy and I decided to go and look today. The pictures showed several floor pan shots with comments about how the car was very solid. Even though it was a 390 car, it WAS a 4 speed and an XL, so I figured maybe I'd build a nice clone. So after a 3 plus hour drive including the nightmare of getting through Atlanta at any time other than 3 AM, we looked at the car for all of 2 minutes. The seller told me on the phone last night that the previous owner said there was "one little place down low on one of the fenders" but "he hadn't been able to find it himself". This was in answer to my question about how the external sheet metal on the car was. What he neglected to mention was, that beneath the 3 hundred dollar (maybe less) paint job, both rear quarters were wiped with filler and bubbling from rust poppin' back through, and the rockers were in the same shape. The car appeared to have been cut and had part of a quarter spliced on the rear and was cracking right beside the trunk lid.

I can't figure if the guys that run these ads really don't have a clue, or if they're just trollin' for suckers.

It was hard for me not to tell him what I thought of his description and the resulting waste of a whole day and an almost 400 mile drive.:mad: :mad:

msc5195
04-08-2004, 07:33 PM
A buddy of mine that I work with has a Ford Galaxy that is in the latter stages of a restoration. Frame Off? It has a 390 but I am not sure if it is a 63 or 64 but I'm leaning toward 64. He has installed disc brakes & A/C. The car is bright yellow like your boat. It has an awsome paint job. I will see him at work tommorrow night and get more details. He may be interested in selling or horsetrading. I will try to get some pics also. We are in Brunswick Georgia.

Chummy
04-16-2004, 03:25 PM
WHERE WAS THAT CAR AT? IF YOU NEED ANYTHING IN THE AREA LET ME KNOW I LOVE TO GO LOOK AT OLD CARS. SOME ARE IN PRETTY SAD SHAPE I WENT TO LOOK AT A CHEVELLE FOR MY BROTHER THAT WAS IN THAT KIND OF SHAPE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MUCH THE CAR WEIGHED

tripledude
04-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Raceman, A 63.5 500 XL?? Another car we agree on. Looked at one myself twenty years ago. It was kind off a plum color. White interior with the chrome strips in the seats. 4-speed. 390 with AC. T-Bird spoke wheels (not hub caps). Nice car but I bought the 2plus2 Pontiac. I think the Ford was $3000. Oooops. Sounding like dad again.;)