PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics Forum

Scott Tharpe
04-06-2004, 09:00 PM
I feel that the techinical section has gotten out of hand and we possibly need a mechanics forum to discuss motor building quistions. I was helping a friend put together a motor and we could not get anyone to respond about a specific bolt torque. THANKS SCOTT

Ray Neudecker
04-07-2004, 07:49 AM
You are much more likely to get a specific answer to a question if the question is clear and specific. Very few questions go unanswered on the forums now existing. No one here owes you any answers, they are given on a voluntary basis to help other performance boaters. This site is provided to you free of charge by Greg and his pocketbook with a small help from voluntary contributions from members. This type of demand and complaint by you indicates an attitude that is not conducive to obtaining free voluntary help anywhere. You might consider reviewing the post in which you made the request and deciding whether it could be redone in a manner and with the proper info needed to obtain your needed answer.

Scott Tharpe
04-07-2004, 08:45 PM
A: You responded to the wrong forum. Perhaps you need to request a DEMAND FORUM so you can bash those people since you have accused me of this. I asked a specific clear question a couple of times and received no responce.

B: I'm sorry it was not about a "YAMAHA" or "HOOKING UP A WATER PRESSURE GUAGE" and you couldn't help.

C: I do not feel that anyone owes me anything. I work about 70hrs a week.

D:I still haven't received a clear answer but have had responces that bring up legitamate concerns.

E: I also do not have an additude. My profession would not allow this as I cover every aspect of the personallity scale daily. Including your range.

F: I have more problems with your responce but I'm not educated and don't know anymore of the alphabet. If this doesn't help you I can keep going with numbers. THANKS IN ADVANCE

SCOTT

BarryStrawn
04-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Scott - Well I for one detect an "attitude" in your posts. And if I had read this reply to Mr. Neudecker earlier you for damn sure wouldn't have got any help from me on the other thread.

Scott Tharpe
04-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Barry, Thank you for the scanned pics from the manual/micro fishe. You have been the most helpful responce to my thread. The additude side of me would have told you I already had that information but instead I thanked you.. This is all a misconception. What dictates an additude? I have used no foul language nor will I. That is what people with additudes do. ARE YOU A CERTIFIED OMC MECHANIC? I'm not and my questions were directed to one or to one with this knowledge. You sent me pics but did not state that YOU installed one a certain way. This board is the most resourceful boating website there is. I'm not questioning its integrity, But I feel that some questions pertaining to engine building could be answered in a more expeditious manner with a forum as such. THANKS AGAIN Scott

sosmerc
04-07-2004, 10:33 PM
As a professional outboard mechanic with over 25 years experience, I still enjoy reading all the tech stuff trying to glean new information and tips. I often try to answer some of the questions too, if I think I can contribute.
But I must say that many times I just "pass" on trying to help...when it appears the question is so basic that anyone with the correct factory manual for their engine should find the answer easily. My point is, if you are really serious about doing your own work on your engine, the correct place to start is to purchase the correct factory manual.
Next to having a manual, using the "search" feature on screamandfly can be a big help in that many questions and subjects have already been well covered.
Beyond that, there's a wealth of talent and information available here and many members willing to add their "angle" to the problem at hand.
Thanks to everyone for making screamandfly such a useful and interesting website!!

mendo
04-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Manual good.

Website is an additional source of info, should not be sole source.

lots of people have lots of answers.

Scott Tharpe
04-08-2004, 03:59 PM
I agree with you 100%. My point was that it seems like the technical forum has become a trouble-shooting, maintenance or modification forum. If someone had a legitamate engine building question then a forum of such would narrow it down to those types of questions. It didn't seem to me that my idea was so out of line when we have a "lounge" forum. It was just an idea that popped in my head when I couldn't get a responce or find the answer. I guess some people get offended easily. I saw the manual and asked the local OMC engine builder the question and he started scratching his head. I'm sure with your experience it does help when you either here of something new or at least get reminded of something you haven't dealt with in a while. I had two motors and these seals were installed different on each one and I have had no experience with these motors.

THANK YOU SCOTT

Pete
04-08-2004, 04:27 PM
from what i see in your posts, you are not clear in your questions. If people cant understand what you are asking they generally will skip the post and find something else to read.

also you dont have to ask your question everyday, eventually your post will be answered.....do not expect imediate help.

Pete

Scott Tharpe
04-09-2004, 07:41 AM
You must have read my last post which is unclear. I was making a statement after the other two went unanswered. If you read all of my threads and you were a ENGINE BUILDER it would be very clear. That is my point. Probably only 20% of the members are actually engine builders. I'm not. I don't expect immediate help however I was at a standstill on building this motor and could go no further. Wainting to put the case halves together for 3-days cause you can't get an answer about a crank seal isn't too fun.

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONCE SCOTT