PDA

View Full Version : 21ft Barneycraft with 300 Gray Promax

Barney
05-07-2001, 12:09 PM
1990 21ft Liberator with 1998 300 Mariner.
20inch shaft, sportmaster with 1.62 gear set.
12 inch setback, R&R hyd jackplate
Sea Star hyd steering
Sea Star dual blinker switches for trim and jackplate
Gaffrig guages with GPS speedo with recall
Gaffrig hand throttle and shifter
In Control foot throttle
New stringers
50 gal fuel capacity
1000 watt, two 12 inch, four 6x9's, six disc cd changer
Two cup holders
Six foot umbrella for sun protection

Motor has been slow to come out of break in mode, would not go above 5000 rpms. After about 20 hours she is letting go.
Saw the limiter for the first time this weekend.

Have just added negative trim to my setback in an effort to get out of the hole with some bigger wheels.

I'll update as soon as I have some numbers to share.

Damage Inc
05-07-2001, 01:22 PM
Bet you're glad to be at the end of the break-in period! Can't wait to hear some numbers!!

Nice pics from Havasu! Hope the scenery is as nice at Mead in September!! Looking forward to it.

Thanks again for the decals!

Todd
05-08-2001, 02:52 PM
Barney, I'm really interested in speed / RPM. Every time I blow 1 of my 2 engines, I think about a single. I was looking for a 300 Pro Max for my Liberator but went back with twins again.

Please keep me updated.

Todd

Damage Inc
05-08-2001, 04:15 PM
When my uncle and I went to Liberator to pick up his boat a month ago, there was a guy there to pick up his new 21' w/a 300X. He called Dave a couple of weeks ago and said it ran 117 on radar! Not bad for single engine, bone stock!

Barney
05-08-2001, 07:14 PM
I've seen 5000rpm and 86mph on GPS during break-in on my 32 Merc Cleaver. I hope the negative trim I'm adding will get me out of the hole!

A 30p should get me to 100mph.

Added negative trim, still won't come out of the hole, prop will just spin. The 20 yard grind to get on plane is totally unacceptable!

Have been runing 26p Bravo 1, runs great but tops out at 85, next on the list is 28 and 30 pitch Bravo.
Yet to run the new 4 blade Merc Cleaver.

Off the list,
32p 3blade 32 Lab finish Merc Cleaver
30p Merc Chopper II
30p Yamaha Drag copy

Open for any ideas! Kevin, please come home from vacation!

[Edited by Barney on 05-15-2001 at 11:04 AM]

Todd
05-22-2001, 05:38 PM
Barney,

Have you got any new numbers on the 300?

Frequent Flyer
05-26-2001, 02:31 PM
Barney,
Do you have a 30-32P ET lying around? I thought you once mentioned that you had an ET in your arsenal of props. That would definitely help your planning off problem and maintain a great top end number (if not the best) for that rig.
Good Luck and hope your having a good time this weekend! (It's raining over here).
Mark

Barney
05-27-2001, 05:37 AM
Tested 30 4 blde cleaver, 30 lab finish mercury bravo, new 26 4 blade hydromotive.

Cleaver (small soild hub) would spin, 20 yard, 20 second plow to get on plane. Topped out at 6000 and 94 GPS. May have gotten a little more, very sensitive to extra weight out of the hole.

30 bravo, (large through hub, 1 inch holes) would bite, get on plane slowly winding up. Topped out at 5300 rpm and 82 GPS

26 Hydro, (smaller partial through hub exh) would spin, plow 20 yards to plane, very smooth once up, spin to limiter, 6300, 87 GPS.

The smaller hub props break loose and spin, killing forward momentum. Light feathering, lay on the bow to get on plane, no passengers are not acceptable.

Is this just an exhaust issue?

Would an offshore mid solve it?

Would that void my Warranty?

The ET, or even Chopper II are fast once thier up, but I can litterally sit and spin them to limiter(could) without moving. I need to get on plane more easily.

Ideas?

Need more speed! With a hole shot.

LaveyT
05-27-2001, 07:00 AM
Barn,have you tried a Bobs tail?It helped the big ol Lavey out a bunch!When I tried to run my lowerunit higher and lost water pressure,The one thing I noticed was that the tail did not work as well.these big boats needum!

Rickracer
05-27-2001, 10:00 AM
I would be willing to bet that some exhaust relief would help getting that big monster out of the hole. This is just my opinion, and I could definitely be wrong (LOL). Through hub props without ventilation bite well, but don't let the motor breathe that well, while ventilated props breathe well, they let too much cavitation occur. If the exhaust had someplace else to go, it wouldn't be fouling up the holeshot. I really don't know if it would affect your warranty though. I would think that would probably be a big determining factor whether to do it or not. I sure hope to see ya get that issue out of the way, cuz that's a sweet ride.

Todd
05-28-2001, 10:29 PM
What is your trim? I had to go to a zero trim on my Liberator.

Barney
06-01-2001, 12:04 AM
I have 20 degrees of neg trim in my 16 inch setback, I can tuck my motor, some help.

I have tried tails, helped some.

I hate to say it but, everyday I go out, everyday, I get approached but girls wanting a ride. If I am limited to A large hub, bravo type for the first year, so be it.

I have a lab finish 28 still to look at.

I will keep a 4 blade cleaver, just for when some fast boats are around.

Havasu does not have water for 100 plus activity, it gets very rough. Way too many big boats in a small area.

I can get to 100, but it is less important at present.

With that 26 Bravo, acceleration up to 80 is untouchable by any boat 21ft plus.

What a great overall lake-racer/cruiser combo. I get a ton of action, everyday people approach me. Its so quiet, great versitility, I love it to death, but i don't think I'll be drag racing it.

I'll ride out my warrentee, if it does not sell first. Several people have asked, 1 is very serious. I don't really want to sell it, but I have run a 300X now.

Barney
06-09-2001, 11:21 PM
Had the chance to run a 1.75 gear set.

Not much changed, same results with higher pitched wheels.

Gonna stay with the 1.62 gears, new 28p Bravo 1,
can rip it out of the hole, pull strong to 90, climb to 97 on the limiter in good conditions.

Ran a 30 Chopper II today, Bravo was faster and accelerated better.

So those are my arsenal,
26p, 28p Bravo 1.

Not going to see 100, untill that warranty goes away! :(

TUNNEL T
06-19-2001, 09:29 PM
hey barn.you guys haven'theard of spinnelli props outa rochester ny.im running a 30 on a 20.2 lavey craft with a 300 max.i just recieved my 28 spin as i type.still waiting for computers and heads from g-force ,my boat is running 94.6 gps with the 30 at 6000,but it seemed like it took aweek to get it there that's why i sent my heads and ecu boxes out.gene at g-force said they are working on a tuner right now that will yield me 20 ponies ,that's two more mph's CLOSING IN. TUNNEL T(DISCOVERY BAY CA.)

Delta
06-19-2001, 10:33 PM
Hey!
I finally have a neighbor!
I'm on Bethel Island.I used to live in Disco,but the rich people kicked me out!
Are ya going to Mandeville?
It sucks that its right on the 4th,but I'm gonna make it anyway.Maybe we could hook up.Barney was supposed to come,but he pussed out.

Later,Delta

TUNNEL T
06-20-2001, 07:02 PM
DELTA NO MANDE AVILLE THIS YEAR GOING TO SHASTA ,HOOKED UP WITH SOME SPEED FREAKS .SHASTA MARINA O'BRIEN INLET ATOTAL OF NINETEEN ELIMINATOR DAYTONAS AND ONE BAD LAVEY ,THAT WOULD BE ME!BUT HEY IM AT THE BEACH ALL THE TIME ,YOU CAN'T MISS MY BOAT WHITE BASE RED SCALLOPS THAT FADE TO PURPLE WITH BLACK AND WHIE CHECKERS ON THE BACK.OH CAN'T FORGET ABOUT THE LITTLE BLACK BOX ON THE CLAMPS. (TUNNEL T DISCOVERY BAY )

Barney
06-23-2001, 01:20 PM
Have you had a chance to run that 28p Spinelli ?

My reverse gear and carrier bearing are on back order from Merc, may be as long as middle of July before releasing parts. I saw you had a 1.75 gers set for sell, but I like the 1.62 much better.

I said **** it, and went ahead and bought a new sportmaster,OUCH!, 1.62, large prop shaft, now have a back up!

My 28p Bravo 1 was a solid hub :( . Now I only have a 26p,
can only run mid 80s. Need a good 28p.

Very curious to hear how your mods work out!

That Shasta outing has my attention, that sounds way cool, you better at least take some pics.

I have a good friend that lives in Disco Bay and would love to co-pilot a trip to Havasu with ya.

Barney
06-24-2001, 01:31 AM
I like all my Scream and fly buddies, props, going fast are some common ground for the purpose of conversation. It would be cool to go faster, but we gots to have priorities!

I do not enjoy being passed, but there is nothing better in the world than tapping that ass!

It's the last part of the submarine discription that really bothers me, long round and FULL of ....:eek:
That really makes that Havasu chop painful!

Lightning strikes more than once, but once Liberated, your heart and soul are free! I do it all for the nookie!:D
Oh sweet summertime!

[Edited by Barney on 06-24-2001 at 01:34 AM]

Barney
08-24-2001, 04:06 PM
Had a couple people ask me what the hell I meant when I said I wanted my boat convertable, topless yes, but also convertable.

Needs to be able and ready for multi tasking, seating arrangements are key, keep in mind, this boat is set up for pimpin in Lake Havasu. Of course we have the normal seats, 2 front buckets and a rear bench, there are several limitations here........so we created some options!

First option is for those occasions when your gonna get wild, gonna have a few babies on the boat, they need room to dance, wrestle and just plane ole get nasty. Secondly we need room for 9 to accomidate the entire team of strippers.

We have the new Barndance floor, Labor Day special!
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/037/ve/Mm/Tn/4o23144.jpg

Of course there will be times when even more girls show up and every body needs someplace to sit.
Barneycraft Suburban!
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/029/qv/c5/GW/4414605.jpg